Law School Discussion

When are u sending your fin aid info?

Lost in Translation

• Choosing the right law school: priceless!!!
    • View Profile
When are u sending your fin aid info?
« on: September 18, 2004, 08:27:24 PM »
hi,

I am sending most of my applications pretty soon, but I am not yet ready with some of the fin aid forms. When are u sending the fin aid info? It appears that most schools need the fin aid forms after january.

dgatl

Re: When are u sending your fin aid info?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2004, 09:40:14 PM »
some schools have their own financial aid form in the app.  go ahead and speculate and send it in now.  they know that they will get final numbers after you do the FAFSA in january

jacy85

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2004, 06:10:50 AM »
I have an issue with the Duke form.  They want it with the application, but then they ask for parental adjusted 2004 income, which my dad won't have until spring 2005.  Then they want estimated 2005 income.  my parents can't really estimate either one of these numbers, becuase they just purchased a bar/restaurant in Buffalo, and my dad's switched jobs, and there was a break in between when he didn't work.  So I emailed them and asked if they just wanted me to make something up, or what.  I'll let people know what their response was, if you're interested.

brothernads

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2004, 09:01:24 AM »
Yeah, let us know.

Just a frustrated rant, but personally I think the fin aid process is a little out of whack for those of us who don't qualify as a dependant and whose parents will be contributing a big fat zero toward LS expenses. I am 27, have not lived with my parents since graduating high school and have not been claimed by them as a dependant since graduating from college over 5 years ago.

Yet according to Harvard's Seven-Year Independence Policy - http://www.law.harvard.edu/students/finaid/apply/index.php#parent
- I don't even qualify for independent status. And a good portion of other schools require your parents' income numbers to determine need for fin aid, even if they aren't helping at all.

jacy85

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2004, 09:02:21 AM »
They told me to estimate whatever I don't have actual numbers for.  If the real numbers end up being drastically different, "I can turn in another form later".

Gee, thanks a lot Duke.