Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Diabetes and law school  (Read 728 times)

ChrisM2

• View Profile
    • Email
Diabetes and law school
« on: June 06, 2007, 08:40:29 PM »
Just recently diagnosed as a Type 1 diabetic. Already have plans to attend law school next fall, and am curious to hear from other law students who've gone through with this (Type 1, Type 2...whatever). How did the transition to law school go w/ respect to caring for yourself...did you find it markedly harder to cope? It's already been a rough transition for me, and I'm wondering how much worse it'll get when I launch into 1L year. Any routines that proved useful? Things to avoid? As noted, I'm type 1 so I'm particularly interested to hear from those who need to use insulin in a meticulous manner, etc. There may not be too many of you out there, but I'm sure there are some.

ChrisM2

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Diabetes and law school
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2007, 11:23:34 PM »
Bump; anyone?

bags

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2007, 10:08:20 AM »
Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I don't have diabetes but it runs in my family. I also know a mba student with diabetes. Diabetes is a manageable disease. Eat well, exercise, monitor your levels, etc. and for the most part you'll be fine. It's when you don't take care of yourself (like being overweight, unhealthy sugar levels) where you can cause other health problems.

As far as stress is concerned, I'd imagine structuring your day to include an appropriate time for studying, exercise, eating well, and rest. If you have a schedule planned, it'll be easier to stick to it. I'm going to get a locker and leave things like nutrigrain bars, juice boxes, and non-perishables. Check the size of the locker and get a cooler. Buy a few reuseable ice packs and take one everyday to school. I'd say it'll keep you lunch cool but if you're on campus for dinner have soup or snacks to hold you over til you get home.  I'm bringing soup and stuff too to microwave and a bunch of bananas to have a banana a day. This will help eat better as well as save money on fast food.  Hope this helps.

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2007, 12:49:38 PM »
Kind of along the lines of the prior poster, see what the school has in terms of facilities that can help you out. For example, is there a fridge somewhere where you can store insulin. Don't be afraid to reach out to resources at the school; you may find that they've dealt with a similar situation in the past. Even if they haven't, they should be willing to help as they can.

ChrisM2

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2007, 10:42:13 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback thus far...anyone else have any input on this? Still especially interested to hear what people who've gone through this with diabetes think. I really, really don't want to defer but I'm worried this will be a distraction for me if I can't figure out how to manage it by the time school starts.

giants28

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2007, 09:41:16 PM »
Hey, I have had type 1 since I was 2 years old, and I'm starting my 1L in the fall. Obviously I can't talk about any law school experiences with diabetes, but I don't anticipate it being too much different than any other phase of life in terms of diabetes management. I don't know what kind of insulin you use, but generally you just need to make sure you count your carbs as closely as you can and always have some sort of sugar with you (I always have a capri sun pouch or two in my backpack). If you have any specific questions don't hesitate to PM me. Good luck

imnotcoherent

• AOL Instant Messenger - imnotcoherent
    • View Profile
    • facebook is for losers
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2007, 05:29:14 PM »
Hey, wow. I'm actually excited I found this thread.

I was diagnosed with T1 a couple of months before heading off to college, so, I have a similar, but not quite accurate experience in regards to dealing with the stresses of higher ed and diabetes at the same time. I'll be honest, I didn't really take my condition as seriously as I should have at first and I didn't do that well my first semester. I guess I wasn't testing or carb counting as much as I should have, so I ended up falling asleep in my Bio and Chem lectures a lot because they were right after lunch. I smartened up when I saw my grades, haha. After that I became slightly obsessive with good control/testing, so I ran low a bunch of times, but luckily it never really messed with my grades, so I did really well every semester after my first one.

I'm not going to say it's easy juggling college and to a greater extent law school as well as coming to terms with the 'betes, but I think it's definitely manageable, and I think that at your age (I'm assuming here you're 21+ and probably a fairly conscientious/responsible person) you'll probably have a somewhat easier time with the effects of diabetes than I did. At 18, I was really angsty and probably in denial for a while, haha. If I were you though, I wouldn't defer, because you can't count on things getting easier for you after getting the hang of things. The unexpected always seems to happen to me in regards to the 'betes anyway, so why put off parts of life to wait for a more "convenient" time. Who know if it'd backfire on you anyway.

Either way, having a support system really helps because it's nice to share gripes/tips with whoever, even if it's just a close and understanding friend to which you explain what diabetes is like. So, if you want, you can pm me or email me anytime with Q's or something, haha. I don't know. Maybe I'm corny. I just get excited when I see people like me, because it's usually rare that I encounter other T1s who are going through the same stuff. Good luck with everything!!

-Kelly
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=imnotcoherent

Relay For Life! Help Us Fight Cancer