Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Old newbie making introductions and inviting counsel  (Read 1140 times)

wellpreserved

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Old newbie making introductions and inviting counsel
« on: June 06, 2007, 06:42:20 PM »
Hello all. I thought an introduction to be in order.

Considering my OCD and general ďcontrol freakishnessĒ chances are excellent that Iíll be here regularly over the next 18 months as I prepare for LS.

SoooooÖIíve scanned many of the posts here and Iím slowly working my way through Lizís awesome sticky. If any of you grand pubas of LSD have any advice I welcome it!

My stats: ummm. Perennial underachiever with delusions of relevancy; full ride undergrad almost ten years ago that I royally screwed up by trying to be cute; now Iím considered a ďnon traditionalĒ student at a small, private college where actual monks roam free on the grounds; was a poli. sci. major in a former life now Iím an econ major and phil minor; currently holding tight at a 4.0 but with a year to go prefer to assume Iíll eff up somewhere along the way; just took my first LSAT practice exam and scored a 150; figured Iíd use it as my diagnostic control since Iíd never looked at a Logic Game or any other such nonsense all the days of my life.

Iím taking one of those free Kaplan LSAT tests this weekend and am hocking my innocence debit card for books. I excelled at RC and the Logical Reasoning, not so much the Logic Games. Iíve focused on them for the past week now and Iím getting betterÖon the simple  ones. The more complex (two, three elements and how many diff combos can you make type) Iím straight guessing my way through with a 40% success rate. I figure that beats the 30% success rate I get when I actually try  to do them!

Iím realistic. Iím not looking to go T1 though Iím sure as hell applying to Yale. All they can say is no. Beyond that my major factor, being a bit older with some work experience, is cost. As such Iím sticking in state or with schools most likely to offer me FA. I know no one is gonna hire a 34 YO af-am female with the bad habit of not much caring about peopleís egos to work in Big Law and Iím too accustomed to weekends to do it anyway.

My interest is Labor/Employment Law, Mediation, ADR, and Union negotiations. Iím aiming for an EEOC internship or something similar and want to leave the door open to go into consulting or policy center-type work later on.  Iím delusional in thinking I can help or do something that matters one day.

My specific questions?

- Am I crazy? Old and going to law school?! Donít answer that.

- With a 150 start what are my real chances for a ten-point leap with careful preparation? How would you map out my study plan?

- What would you tell yourself, were you me, at the beginning of this journey?

I tested between 151 and 162. I hoped for the high end and ended up in the middle. Still, not a bad plan overall, I think.

LSAT: 156 (not taking it again and you can't make me)
GPA: 3.4ish. Still a semester to go
URM, non-trad, 12 yrs work exp, published
Looking for low debt and high aid

BearlyLegal

• LSD Obsessed
  • And the greatest threat to America is... Bears!!!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Newjoetm
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Old newbie making introductions and inviting counsel
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2007, 06:48:54 PM »
Hello all. I thought an introduction to be in order.

Considering my OCD and general ďcontrol freakishnessĒ chances are excellent that Iíll be here regularly over the next 18 months as I prepare for LS.

SoooooÖIíve scanned many of the posts here and Iím slowly working my way through Lizís awesome sticky. If any of you grand pubas of LSD have any advice I welcome it!

My stats: ummm. Perennial underachiever with delusions of relevancy; full ride undergrad almost ten years ago that I royally screwed up by trying to be cute; now Iím considered a ďnon traditionalĒ student at a small, private college where actual monks roam free on the grounds; was a poli. sci. major in a former life now Iím an econ major and phil minor; currently holding tight at a 4.0 but with a year to go prefer to assume Iíll eff up somewhere along the way; just took my first LSAT practice exam and scored a 150; figured Iíd use it as my diagnostic control since Iíd never looked at a Logic Game or any other such nonsense all the days of my life.

Iím taking one of those free Kaplan LSAT tests this weekend and am hocking my innocence debit card for books. I excelled at RC and the Logical Reasoning, not so much the Logic Games. Iíve focused on them for the past week now and Iím getting betterÖon the simple  ones. The more complex (two, three elements and how many diff combos can you make type) Iím straight guessing my way through with a 40% success rate. I figure that beats the 30% success rate I get when I actually try  to do them!

Iím realistic. Iím not looking to go T1 though Iím sure as hell applying to Yale. All they can say is no. Beyond that my major factor, being a bit older with some work experience, is cost. As such Iím sticking in state or with schools most likely to offer me FA. I know no one is gonna hire a 34 YO af-am female with the bad habit of not much caring about peopleís egos to work in Big Law and Iím too accustomed to weekends to do it anyway.

My interest is Labor/Employment Law, Mediation, ADR, and Union negotiations. Iím aiming for an EEOC internship or something similar and want to leave the door open to go into consulting or policy center-type work later on.  Iím delusional in thinking I can help or do something that matters one day.

My specific questions?

- Am I crazy? Old and going to law school?! Donít answer that.

- With a 150 start what are my real chances for a ten-point leap with careful preparation? How would you map out my study plan?

- What would you tell yourself, were you me, at the beginning of this journey?

My blind score was a 152. Look at my sig to see what you can do. And I consider myself an underachiever by the way. I know I have the capacity for 170+.

No, you are not too old. I work at a V10 firm and I know people who started at your age.

Finally...Is there really hunny in you? If so, please come closer...

wellpreserved

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2007, 06:57:31 PM »
Thanks Bearly...Bears! Honey! Yeah! LOL

I tested between 151 and 162. I hoped for the high end and ended up in the middle. Still, not a bad plan overall, I think.

BearlyLegal

• LSD Obsessed
  • And the greatest threat to America is... Bears!!!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Newjoetm
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2007, 07:17:54 PM »
Thanks Bearly...Bears! Honey! Yeah! LOL

Mmmmm... More sweet, encouraging advice for you if you please just step into this here jar....

Mmmmmmmmmm....

Refused Party Program

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2007, 07:24:55 PM »
I'm sure you will here this a million times over, but stay away from the Kaplan prep courses. I know a lot of people that took them and they didn't improve very much at all (they were in the 140s). Go with the Powerscore books, which I guess you are doing? I'm probablly as old as you are and I'm starting this fall, so no you aren't too old. If you have never seen a game before and you didn't do well, this is easiest section to improve with practice so that is good news. Once you work through both of the PS books, and with practice you ought to see an improvement in your score.

wellpreserved

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2007, 07:44:01 PM »
I'm sure you will here this a million times over, but stay away from the Kaplan prep courses. I know a lot of people that took them and they didn't improve very much at all (they were in the 140s). Go with the Powerscore books, which I guess you are doing? I'm probablly as old as you are and I'm starting this fall, so no you aren't too old. If you have never seen a game before and you didn't do well, this is easiest section to improve with practice so that is good news. Once you work through both of the PS books, and with practice you ought to see an improvement in your score.

Thanks! It's great hearing from people in my age group. It makes me feel less odd. I'm afraid that I don't have many people around me with advance degrees and surely no one who has ever attempted a "second life" like I'm going for. So it helps me feel less out of sorts.

I have read here that PS is the way to go and thanks to craig's list I found someone local willing to do a trade. I'll get those this weekend.

I figured the free LSAT under test conditions with Kaplan couldn't hurt but since I don't have the money to waste I was never in too much danger of buying their class. But I have wondered if there are some proven logic game strategies that would be worth paying to learn.

LizPendensô

• LSD Obsessed
  • The Real Alice -- Adventures in Wonderland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2007, 07:47:22 PM »
you're just a baby. settle in a grab a can of starbucks double shot.
There foam'd rebellious Logic, gagg'd and bound.                           
            -  Charles Dodgson,  "Lewis Carroll"                               
                         "The Game of Logic"

LaneSwerver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2007, 07:58:47 PM »
Advice for law school from an old 3L:

1. Take lots of vitamins. That way your veins will be nice and sturdy and stand out. This is important for

2. Find a methamphetamine dealer. Don't smoke it or snort it; that's for the sorry saps on "Cops" that live in a Florida trailer park. Nope, inject it right on in.

3. Prepare your liver. You wanna hang with the big-time (or small-time) lawyers? You gotta drink. Don't try and have a cosmo, either. You'd better get used to martinis with the vermouth kicked in the side with an iron boot.

4. Check your glasses/contact prescription. You're going to need to be able to read extremely fine print on the cheat sheets you'll hide in your clothing during finals.

5. Stop going to church. Morals are for the uninitiated.

6. Like espresso. And no, not a skinny-uspide-down-extra-whip-frappacino...straight espresso. When you aren't mainlining dope, you're gonna need something to keep you awake.

After that, it's all pretty easy. Best of luck!

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2007, 08:24:04 PM »
I was at the Berkeley admitted students weekend.  Their Dean of Students (I think that's what she was) didn't start law school until 42. 

LaneSwerver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2007, 09:15:56 PM »
Advice for law school from an old 3L:

1. Take lots of vitamins. That way your veins will be nice and sturdy and stand out. This is important for

2. Find a methamphetamine dealer. Don't smoke it or snort it; that's for the sorry saps on "Cops" that live in a Florida trailer park. Nope, inject it right on in.

3. Prepare your liver. You wanna hang with the big-time (or small-time) lawyers? You gotta drink. Don't try and have a cosmo, either. You'd better get used to martinis with the vermouth kicked in the side with an iron boot.

4. Check your glasses/contact prescription. You're going to need to be able to read extremely fine print on the cheat sheets you'll hide in your clothing during finals.

5. Stop going to church. Morals are for the uninitiated.

6. Like espresso. And no, not a skinny-uspide-down-extra-whip-frappacino...straight espresso. When you aren't mainlining dope, you're gonna need something to keep you awake.

After that, it's all pretty easy. Best of luck!

Still on step one?  You do know there are twelve right?

I forgot the other ones. My brain hurts.