Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is this a fluke, or have I nailed it?  (Read 1276 times)

qwertyman

• View Profile
Is this a fluke, or have I nailed it?
« on: June 06, 2007, 09:58:25 AM »
Last night I took prep test 49, and got my highest score yet. But it wasn’t my highest score by a point, it was my highest score by 5 points. I scored a 175 last night, up from my previous high of 170, which I’d gotten the last two times I took practice exams.

The thing with this is it really didn’t feel like a fluke. I felt like Neo at the end of The Matrix, where for the whole movie Mr. Smith’s been just a bit too fast for him, dodging bullets with inhuman speed, and at the end, Neo is able to block Smith’s punches with ease. All my usual trouble spots were gone. I only missed LR questions that I should’ve gotten had I read a little bit more carefully.

At this point I fully feel like a 180 is possible for me on this exam. It’s an exhilarating feeling, but at the same time I must feel a little bit of hesitation. Perhaps this exam was too easy, perhaps I had a couple of 50-50s where I just guessed right (I had one 50-50 in my head the whole test, and I guessed wrong on it). I really hope this isn’t a fluke and I end up giving all those points back on test day. Can somebody make me feel better or at least a bit clearer as to whether this exam was the result of me finally cracking the test, or if this was probably a one-time thing I shouldn’t expect next time?

BearlyLegal

• LSD Obsessed
  • And the greatest threat to America is... Bears!!!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Newjoetm
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Is this a fluke, or have I nailed it?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2007, 10:00:38 AM »
Take test 50, and see how you do!  ;)

Garry Shandling

• Sr. Citizen
  • How's My Hair?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2007, 10:03:17 AM »
Does it matter?  Keep working hard from now until Monday, and do your best on Monday.  That is all you can do.  Worrying about whether or not you've "cracked" it, and whether you are going to get a 170 or a 175 is a waste of mental energy.
I hope steve.jd and CS4L hang out at Harvard.  The combined gravitic pull of their prestige-egos will put (everyone) into orbit.  After a short time, they will all collapse upon each other creating the first man made black hole...

qwertyman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2007, 10:04:14 AM »
I took 50 last week and got the 170 on that. I'm going to take 51 on Thursday. Beyond that, I've got nothing above the late 30s left to take.

How did I know that "take another test!" was going to be the first reply...?

Does it matter?  Keep working hard from now until Monday, and do your best on Monday.  That is all you can do.  Worrying about whether or not you've "cracked" it, and whether you are going to get a 170 or a 175 is a waste of mental energy.
[/font]

Well, simply put, a 175 can open up a few more law schools that a 170 wouldn't necessarily. I could consider applying to NYU with 175, whereas I'd almost certainly be rejected with 170.

BearlyLegal

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2007, 10:06:46 AM »
I took 50 last week and got the 170 on that. I'm going to take 51 on Thursday. Beyond that, I've got nothing above the late 30s left to take.

How did I know that "take another test!" was going to be the first reply...?

[/font]

Well, simply put, a 175 can open up a few more law schools that a 170 wouldn't necessarily. I could consider applying to NYU with 175, whereas I'd almost certainly be rejected with 170.

What's your GPA?

qwertyman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2007, 10:09:29 AM »
With a UGPA of 3.3, the LSAT is the Great Equalizer for me. I slacked off a bit in my freshman year, and took two semesters of Arabic for grades in my senior year when I should've taken them pass/fail. My in-major GPA is something like 3.7, but that doesn't help all that much.

Basically, when I get my LSAT score back, I'd prefer not to have to worry about getting admitted.

Noooo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2007, 10:11:15 AM »
I'll be the first to humor you and answer your question.  Based on your analysis, yes I really think you are there.  Assuming that you are doing everything legit, i.e. timing yourself, doing fresh material, etc., then this is great news for you.  The fact that you scored 2 170s recently shows that you basically have command of the test and now you're just refining it and improving accuracy on material you fundamentally understand.  That doesn't mean you should expect a 175 on the real thing, just because that's so top-of-the-scale and it's easy to fall away from a top spot; but looks like you are a solid for a strong 170+ score.  Congrats to you.

BearlyLegal

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2007, 10:18:11 AM »
I'll be the first to humor you and answer your question.  Based on your analysis, yes I really think you are there.  Assuming that you are doing everything legit, i.e. timing yourself, doing fresh material, etc., then this is great news for you.  The fact that you scored 2 170s recently shows that you basically have command of the test and now you're just refining it and improving accuracy on material you fundamentally understand.  That doesn't mean you should expect a 175 on the real thing, just because that's so top-of-the-scale and it's easy to fall away from a top spot; but looks like you are a solid for a strong 170+ score.  Congrats to you.

Nice confidence boost! ;)

Jolie Was Here

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
I was referring to your intellectual penis. Which is quite robust.

Jolie is creeping up on me. 

qwertyman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2007, 10:36:19 AM »
Fluke.

lol thanks, I didn't actually want any explanation, I just wanted somebody to try and crush my spirit with a pithy one liner.