Law School Discussion

June 1997 test, Arguments -Section II, Question 10

June 1997 test, Arguments -Section II, Question 10
« on: June 06, 2007, 01:43:00 AM »
My brain's not working superly this morning. But why on earth is B (takes the occurrence of one particular influence on a partner or class of events as showing that its influence outweighs any other influence on this events) the correct answer to question 10?

....thanks in advance to someone apparently not chiefly influenced by self-interest who'll answer me

Re: June 1997 test, Arguments -Section II, Question 10
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2007, 05:24:36 AM »
My brain's not working superly this morning. But why on earth is B (takes the occurrence of one particular influence on a partner or class of events as showing that its influence outweighs any other influence on this events) the correct answer to question 10?

....thanks in advance to someone apparently not chiefly influenced by self-interest who'll answer me

Its saying that the argument is false because it takes the occurrence of one pattern (influence of human actions by self interest) as showing that its influence outweighs any other influence. This passes the fact test of what was in the stimulus .. ie: the only motive is self interest, thus self interest is the chief influence on all human actions.

Basically the stimulus is saying that because self interest is involved in all human actions, it is thus the chief (most powerful) influence over all human actions. That does not necessarily have to be true .. other influences that are not present in influencing every human action can be the "chief" influence. Simply put, the answer states that the argument is faulty because the occurence of self interest does not prove that it outweighs any other influence.