Law School Discussion

1L and Suicide

Re: 1L and Suicide
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2007, 01:50:44 PM »
Can we get to the important part of this question, rather than focus on whether some pansy 1L decides to off himself because he couldn't handle it? The way I see it is how the suicide affects his fellow classmates/roommates. In most undergrads, if your roommate commits suicide, the surviving roommate is given straight A's for that semester, to account for the emotional duress. If you're rooming with a fellow 1L and they commit suicide, does the law school have a similar policy?
It's one hell of a way to make Law Review...  ;)
Rob

Just because you saw it in a movie doesn't make it true.  This is entirely false.

« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2007, 04:00:24 PM »
Actually I always just heard it bantered about as a rumor. I never really bothered to do the research to see if there was any factual basis to it. Of course, for my (apparently failed) attempt at a humorous post on LSD, I didn't bother looking for any support for the rumor.
Rob

dbgirl

• View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2007, 04:50:40 PM »
Actually I always just heard it bantered about as a rumor. I never really bothered to do the research to see if there was any factual basis to it. Of course, for my (apparently failed) attempt at a humorous post on LSD, I didn't bother looking for any support for the rumor.
Rob

Right, because suicide is really funny.  ::)

« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2007, 06:00:55 AM »
One guy at my school died first semester under suspicious circumstances- a prescription drug overdose followed by a coma. No one said it was suicide, but I think quite a few of us were wondering when they released very few details. It was very early in the semester, so I highly doubt that law school could have been a major factor... I consider myself very healty mentally and physically, but 1L will play tricks on your psyche regardless. You'll be convinced that the only thing that matters is whether you ace your next exam. It's unhealthy, but it's how you survive and thrive. Try to keep perspective, but know that around finals, that's a very tall order, even for those without a "preexisting disability" in that area.

The Pookie

• the penguin is back!
    • View Profile
    • For Inquiring Minds - LSN
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2007, 10:49:40 AM »
i think everything said in this thread makes it even more important to have non-law friends and maintain relationships with your family - HAVE A LIFE OUTSIDE OF LAW SCHOOL!

That said, (and this is me talking out of my ass), do people think suicide is more common in law schols in extremely small towns/schools? Since there arent' that many other non-law students one can faternize with, maybe one would be more suspectible to the pressure-cooker atmsophere of law school?

just curious

« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2007, 05:57:33 PM »
People have survived wars, genocide, famines and other horrors over history and not killed themselves.  Compared to Auschwitz, the battle of Stalingrad or Rwanda, law school looks pretty comfortable.  Don't be a pansy.  If you can't handle it, get out.  Killing yourself over law school stress is selfish.  If you have a serious mental health problem, don't attend law school until you take care of it.

- zack

« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2007, 10:17:04 PM »
People have survived wars, genocide, famines and other horrors over history and not killed themselves.  Compared to Auschwitz, the battle of Stalingrad or Rwanda, law school looks pretty comfortable.  Don't be a pansy.  If you can't handle it, get out.  Killing yourself over law school stress is selfish.  If you have a serious mental health problem, don't attend law school until you take care of it.

- zack

Titcr. End of thread.

AlphaBusey

• SOBER:Son Of a B*tch, Everything's Real!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2007, 07:59:17 AM »

- zack

Titcr. End of thread.

Yeah, that's a little more blunt than I was going for...  but still.  Right on.

« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2007, 12:16:46 AM »

- zack

Titcr. End of thread.

I actually really dislike responses like this.  Maybe in this thread it's a little warranted, but this response is often thrown around when someone has what others consider a minor problem.  Sure, there's always going to be some catastrophe you can compare your own situation with, and you come out on top, but there are legitimate things far short of genocide and war that can @#!* people up and cause suffering.

Empathy is always a good thing.

« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2007, 01:26:57 AM »
Exactly. I'm sure people who have committed or seriously attempted suicide didn't do it just for fun.