Law School Discussion

1L and Suicide

dbgirl

• View Profile
Re: 1L and Suicide
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2007, 01:13:08 PM »
Well, obviously I have not killed myself, but I think people are ignoring just how profoundly law school can affect the psyche.

Months and years of constant "this or that isn't good enough" can cause a lot of depression.  I can think of more than one person, myself included, who felt pretty good, confident and competent before arriving at law school.   :-\

AlphaBusey

• SOBER:Son Of a B*tch, Everything's Real!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2007, 01:27:23 PM »
Well, obviously I have not killed myself, but I think people are ignoring just how profoundly law school can affect the psyche.

Months and years of constant "this or that isn't good enough" can cause a lot of depression.  I can think of more than one person, myself included, who felt pretty good, confident and competent before arriving at law school.   :-\

I think you have to sort through what you mean by depression.  One kind of depression results from various chemical imbalances within the brain, triggering depression largely independent of exogenous factors (although these can trigger/decrease/enhance the effects of depression).  The other kind results not from a chemical imbalance but from an external factor:  i.e. a breakup, a bad grade, etc.  Your brain is functioning fine, you're just upset about something.

I'm being pretty normative here, but it seems to me that if your brain function is normal, and you allow things like grades, a relationship, etc. to drive you to suicide, well, it's incredibly inane and selfish.  The travails you're going to experience (and this is assuming the minimum) a middle-class graduate of a 4-year college, are going to pale in comparison to what much of the world endures on a daily basis.  There's nothing wrong with letting a personal dissapointment or tragedy upset you.  That's fine.  But committing suicide over it?  Bringing that kind of pain down on your family and friends simply because you feel bad about something?  I'm sorry, but I call bull.  We all enjoy one of the best QoLs in the world.  If you don't have a terminal disease, nor a imbalancing mental illness...  seriously, take a little responsibility, grow up and fix your problems.

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2007, 01:29:31 PM »
I don't mean to be rude or condascending but the this PDXsaint is completely right. It seems to me that a lot of people on here who are so paranoid about law school haven't had much real world experience. If a semester of worth of someone telling this isn't good enough or your not good enough is going to kill you, then law school isn't the place for you. If you can't handle it in school, how are you going to handle a job????

As a psychology minor and someone who has personal experience with the subject of suicide, its never anyone or anything's fault other than untreated mental illness. Its never caused by one incident or one experience like law school (years of abuse, drugs, war, etc are a different story). People who even think about suicide have real mental problems, simple as that.

dbgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2007, 04:21:49 PM »

I think you have to sort through what you mean by depression.  One kind of depression results from various chemical imbalances within the brain, triggering depression largely independent of exogenous factors (although these can trigger/decrease/enhance the effects of depression).  The other kind results not from a chemical imbalance but from an external factor:  i.e. a breakup, a bad grade, etc.  Your brain is functioning fine, you're just upset about something.

I'm being pretty normative here, but it seems to me that if your brain function is normal, and you allow things like grades, a relationship, etc. to drive you to suicide, well, it's incredibly inane and selfish.  The travails you're going to experience (and this is assuming the minimum) a middle-class graduate of a 4-year college, are going to pale in comparison to what much of the world endures on a daily basis.  There's nothing wrong with letting a personal dissapointment or tragedy upset you.  That's fine.  But committing suicide over it?  Bringing that kind of pain down on your family and friends simply because you feel bad about something?  I'm sorry, but I call bull.  We all enjoy one of the best QoLs in the world.  If you don't have a terminal disease, nor a imbalancing mental illness...  seriously, take a little responsibility, grow up and fix your problems.

Yes, that's the speech I would have given someone before going to law school.  Yes, I realize I have "situational" depression and not chemical depression, and that is probably why I didn't off myself. Still, law school in and of itself can get pretty f-ing depressing.

dbgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2007, 04:26:31 PM »
I don't mean to be rude or condascending but the this PDXsaint is completely right. It seems to me that a lot of people on here who are so paranoid about law school haven't had much real world experience. If a semester of worth of someone telling this isn't good enough or your not good enough is going to kill you, then law school isn't the place for you. If you can't handle it in school, how are you going to handle a job????

As a psychology minor and someone who has personal experience with the subject of suicide, its never anyone or anything's fault other than untreated mental illness. Its never caused by one incident or one experience like law school (years of abuse, drugs, war, etc are a different story). People who even think about suicide have real mental problems, simple as that.

I've had a job, many jobs, and I was pretty good at them - I have plenty of  "life experience", good and bad, that a lot of people on this board don't have.

Of course "normal" people don't kill themselves, but that doesn't mean law school isn't depressing in and of itself. And, yes, I like studying law.

Anyway I am certain that some people are underestimating how much this sh!t will be bothering them a couple of years from now.

dbgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2007, 04:27:25 PM »

« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2007, 07:23:11 PM »

I've had a job, many jobs, and I was pretty good at them - I have plenty of  "life experience", good and bad, that a lot of people on this board don't have.

Of course "normal" people don't kill themselves, but that doesn't mean law school isn't depressing in and of itself. And, yes, I like studying law.

Anyway I am certain that some people are underestimating how much this sh!t will be bothering them a couple of years from now.

Interestingly enough, most of the people I've talked to at my school who are the most depressed are the older students with more life experience (probably me included). Most of us have been out in the real world around diverse groups of people with different life experiences and moving from that to the pressure cooker/middle school atmosphere that is law school can be a shock.

Even my mom (who is a psychiatrist) agrees that some situations can make people depressed. She had several patients who were depressed for years while they were married and once they got a divorce and moved on, they no longer needed medication. Even for me, leaving law school to come home, I immediately feel 10 times better.

« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2007, 06:02:55 AM »
Can we get to the important part of this question, rather than focus on whether some pansy 1L decides to off himself because he couldn't handle it? The way I see it is how the suicide affects his fellow classmates/roommates. In most undergrads, if your roommate commits suicide, the surviving roommate is given straight A's for that semester, to account for the emotional duress. If you're rooming with a fellow 1L and they commit suicide, does the law school have a similar policy?
It's one hell of a way to make Law Review...  ;)
Rob

« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2007, 06:20:42 AM »
Can we get to the important part of this question, rather than focus on whether some pansy 1L decides to off himself because he couldn't handle it? The way I see it is how the suicide affects his fellow classmates/roommates. In most undergrads, if your roommate commits suicide, the surviving roommate is given straight A's for that semester, to account for the emotional duress. If you're rooming with a fellow 1L and they commit suicide, does the law school have a similar policy?
It's one hell of a way to make Law Review...  ;)
Rob

Not really.

« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2007, 07:26:57 AM »
No one's mentioned this so I'll state the obvious: if you're feeling depressed or if the pressure is starting to weigh you down SEEK HELP! Most schools offer some counseling for students & this (along with medication if necessary) can be very effective for people suffering from "situational" depression.