Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Loyola New Orleans  (Read 3399 times)

hey not you hey

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hey. Not you. Hey.
    • View Profile
Re: Loyola New Orleans
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2007, 01:08:19 AM »
Yeah I'm not saying that you can't transfer, just that you should be comfortable with the idea of finishing out your education at Loyola and working in New Orleans.  If you aren't in the top of your class (Top 20% or so), both of these eventualities may be unavoidable.  Heavy networking may change your job prospects, however.  Don't get me wrong, Loyola is a good school and optimism is a good thing, but it's important to have realistic expectations.  EVERYONE comes into law school with the intention of being at the top of their class.

BigEasy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2007, 01:28:52 AM »
I have no problems finishing my degree at Loyola. I would love to. The only problem is everyone seems to be telling me how impossible it is to get a job.  I get great educations at underrated schools seems to be my MO.  I will def talk to career services about my intentions. I would gladly graduate from Loyola but I am hesistant to live in New Orleans because I live so far away, Not trying to be close minded either. Maybe I wont wanna come back :D

tony2102

• Do Not Want....Rejections
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GSRacer2102
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2007, 11:18:30 PM »
I will be attending Loyola in the fall and I already talked to the career services people.  They told me that about 60% of their grads stay in New Orleans after graduation.  She also told me that their second biggest alumni base outside of New Orleans is Houston, which is good for me since I want to come back to Texas after graduation.  You probably could get a job in the northeast with a Loyola degree, but you are gonna have to work very hard in getting connections in NYC, DC, etc. 

wiimote

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2007, 11:48:25 AM »
Ummmm

Loyola New Orleans
------------------
Total graduates: 264
Graduates known to be employed at graduation: 69.4%
Starting Salaries (2005 Graduates Employed Full-time)
Private sector (25th-75th percentile): N/A
Median in the private sector: N/A
Percent in the private sector who reported salary information: 67%
Median in public service: N/A

Why aren't they reporting their salary information?

roygbiv

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2007, 01:29:43 PM »
I think you can back into a number give what we know about the market and LSAC.

Top 5% (10 ppl) can get the best jobs in NOLA @ $90K
Top 5-25% (40 ppl)get medium-firm jobs in NOLA, LA, and out-of-state @ $75K.
28% (53 ppl) are working in small firms or solo practices @ $50K
23% (44 ppl) work for government @ $40K
12% (23 ppl) work in business @ $60K (I think these are part-time people who kept their regular job)
9% are unemployed (17 ppl) @ $0K
3% (6 ppl) work in public interest @ $20K

Total Average Salary = $51K
Private Practice Average Salary = $64K

Ummmm

Loyola New Orleans
------------------
Total graduates: 264
Graduates known to be employed at graduation: 69.4%
Starting Salaries (2005 Graduates Employed Full-time)
Private sector (25th-75th percentile): N/A
Median in the private sector: N/A
Percent in the private sector who reported salary information: 67%
Median in public service: N/A

Why aren't they reporting their salary information?

AJ

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2007, 12:51:23 AM »
The thought of "not being able to get out of NOLA" is a rather scary one  :(

roygbiv

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2007, 02:51:50 PM »
Essentially all schools outside of the top 25 or so are local/regional schools so this should not be surprising.

The thought of "not being able to get out of NOLA" is a rather scary one  :(

Uneasy1L

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2007, 02:15:03 AM »
I will be a 1L this fall looking to specialize in soft IP as well.  I am from Chicago, and went to LOYNO as an undergrad.  A lot of people I was friends with loved it there.  I didn't.  I picked a specialized program (Music Business) as an undergrad, and tried to take it back to Chicago and make something of it.  Couldn't do it...

"Oh, Loyola!
Yes, Loyola New Orleans.
New Orleans?
Yes, New Orleans, not Loyola Chicago.
Oh, there's a Loyola down there?"
End of conversation. 

I feel there truly is no name and reputation that carries outside of a pretty small region. I applied to and chose LOYNO because I went to a Jesuit high school and wanted to continue in a service and ethical oriented environment, and know others were there for the same.  I also know from experience that other Jesuit universities do not look on you more favoribly or are they more willing to work with you for a transfer because you would be coming from a school with a similar religious/schooling background.

If you are for some reason drawn to the city, whether it be the people, the pace of life, etc., you'll love it.  It doesn't matter if you're an undergrad or a 1L, the mayor or the streetcar driver, it's all about having a good time in New Orleans.  If you would like a law school experience that isn't too different than undergrad, go to Loyola. (Keep in mind however that the law school is not located on the main campus, rather the Broadway campus blocks away, and I wouldn't recommend living at Cabra. It's noisy and gross.  Get something off campus.) If you're planning on soft IP, the best way to get some local work might be by hooking up with the Music Business program, and using their contacts for the NO, Memphis, Nashville, Austin markets.  They have some connections to NY, but I wouldn't say they're strong by any means.

BigEasy

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2007, 06:17:42 PM »
Thank you for the advice. So you will still be at Loyola this fall for law school? About Cabra Hall, there is no way I could afford the off campus apts and I live far away. Plus Cabra is right across the street from the law school. I thought the law school was about two blocks away from main campus? Which really isnt that much at all. Also why would you say Cabra is "gross". I was hoping I would be living in a nice place if I was going to law school.  Is it an old building?  Plus as for noise, all law students live on the same floor so I am not too worried about that.

hey not you hey

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hey. Not you. Hey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2007, 04:44:32 PM »
I've never been in Cabra, but it looks incredibly unspectacular from the outside.  Although it's a graduate housing building, it's basically just a dorm from the 70s (maybe earlier?).  You share a room with another person and 4 rooms open into one common area from what I understand.  No kitchen.  It was also pretty expensive from what I remember.

In short, take out a little more loan money and get something off campus.