Law School Discussion

Test Accommodations Good News/Questions

Majmun

• Now Featuring Excess Whiteness
    • View Profile
Re: Test Accommodations Good News/Questions
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2007, 06:26:52 PM »

actually, you were challenging my statement about ALL disabled students AND ALL disabled lawyers with data about a subset of time-accommodated LSAT test takers. they do not encompass all test-takers with disabilities, i would guess not by a long shot.

Actually I wasn't though you certainly seem to have taken it that way.  I may have quoted the entire sentence but I didn't take issue with all that the statement encompassed.   Somewhere our wires got crossed because I agree with all of your points.

Regardless, it hardly matters.  Best of Luck

« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2007, 05:36:03 AM »
ADHD is a chemical imbalance in the brain. the other limitations you listed are not. those with ADHD may in fact have a superlative IQ, and often do. With medication or accommodation, as seen fit, they can function as well or close to as well as someone with no limitations.

That's just it - there's no evidence for particular "cause" of ADHD in the brain or anywhere else.  Adderal is just a mild amphetamine, it doesn't magically correct some brain problem all ADHDers have. That's why it and other accommodations are so controversial in ways that, say, allowing a blind test-taker to have a reader and extra time are not. 

ADHD is a relative diagnosis - anyone who seems to have more trouble concentrating than those around them can (in practice) qualify for ADHD. If you're doing above-average on the LSAT, then you're not really at the relative disadvantage that (again, in practice) qualified you for your ADHD diagnosis in the first place.

It's important to bring this up because on other tests (like the SAT), where ADHD proponents have intimidated the test makers and won the day, accommodated scores are no longer flagged as such. I know people that received A LOT of extra time on the SAT, got a great score, and none were the wiser about how they did it.

Majmun

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2007, 07:09:19 AM »

That's just it - there's no evidence for particular "cause" of ADHD in the brain or anywhere else.
There's plenty of evidence, but no scientific or medical consensus.

Adderal is just a mild amphetamine, it doesn't magically correct some brain problem all ADHDers have.
The same could be said for many ailments both physical and mental

That's why it and other accommodations are so controversial in ways that, say, allowing a blind test-taker to have a reader and extra time are not. 

I Agree

ADHD is a relative diagnosis - anyone who seems to have more trouble concentrating than those around them can (in practice) qualify for ADHD. If you're doing above-average on the LSAT, then you're not really at the relative disadvantage that (again, in practice) qualified you for your ADHD diagnosis in the first place.

Your first sentence is only true for certain situations, the second requires a number of assumptions

It's important to bring this up because on other tests (like the SAT), where ADHD proponents have intimidated the test makers and won the day, accommodated scores are no longer flagged as such. I know people that received A LOT of extra time on the SAT, got a great score, and none were the wiser about how they did it.

I agree that the scores should be flagged.

« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2007, 11:10:59 AM »
yeah ADHD is definitely not a diversity factor and if you are a BYU grad then you are most likely white and from a middle to upper middle class family which means you have absolutely no diversity

I'm from a low middle class family, thank you.

« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2007, 12:17:25 PM »
yeah ADHD is definitely not a diversity factor and if you are a BYU grad then you are most likely white and from a middle to upper middle class family which means you have absolutely no diversity

I'm from a low middle class family, thank you.

yeah well all that matters is that you're white...

I white but please explain.

Majmun

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2007, 09:03:58 AM »
ADHD is a chemical imbalance in the brain. the other limitations you listed are not. those with ADHD may in fact have a superlative IQ, and often do. With medication or accommodation, as seen fit, they can function as well or close to as well as someone with no limitations.

If this is the case, then they shouldn't need extra time though, right?

IIRC you can get time accomodated for other reasons.  For example you have no thumbs so bubbling is a mofo.

Majmun

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 02, 2007, 10:29:15 AM »
ok well should I use them or not. I can bring my score up 7-9 points by studying with distractions. I can bring my score up 14-17 points by getting accommodations.

If that is your true spread, I'd probably go accommodated.

Majmun

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2007, 03:42:15 PM »
my problem is this statement on the lsac.org site

Candidates who seek additional test time on scored sections of the test should pay particular attention to the following:

If you receive additional test time as an accommodation for your disability, LSAC will send a statement with your LSDAS Law School Reports advising that your score(s) should be interpreted with great sensitivity and flexibility.

Scores earned with additional test time are reported individually and will not be averaged with standard-time scores or other nonstandard-time scores.

Percentile ranks of nonstandard-time scores are not available and will not be reported.

All information related to your request for accommodations will remain confidential unless you authorize its release. If you want this information to be sent with your law school reports, you must complete and submit the Authorization to Release Information Form included in the Accommodations Request Packet.

Yep...basically you have to decide how many points the * is worth.  5, 10, 20?   Ivey seems to think that if you can do much much better accommodated then you should.  Personally I'm not so certain.

I could have gone accommodated but chose not to and my score was everything I hoped for.  Had it not been, I would have busted ass to do better.  But if your spread is as dramatic as you seem to think it is, You must at least entertain the Idea.  Unfortunately for you, you already took it once unaccommodated and they are going to see that.  It's a  tough one.  Sorry I'm not more helpful, but it's anyone's guess what adcoms will think of your app with one of each type of LSAT score.

« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2007, 04:59:15 PM »
ADHD is a bull disorder.

« Reply #49 on: July 03, 2007, 05:38:19 PM »
I was responding to the thread as a whole. PTSD I can believe.