Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Loyola Chicago  (Read 4216 times)

Babalaco

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - babalaco
    • View Profile
Loyola Chicago
« on: September 18, 2004, 09:26:00 PM »
Would anyone like to share any info they know about the reputation of LUC? I want to practice in chicago and want to do IP. Is Loyola a decent choice?

iggyyu

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Loyola Chicago
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2004, 12:53:35 AM »
I attend Loyola Law and I have to say that I am very satisfied with my experience so far (I am only a 1L). Loyola has a very solid reputation in the Chicago area, and it is overall a very decent regional school.

feelthenoize

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2004, 09:55:34 PM »
I think Loyola seems like a great school.  I almost applied there and wish now that I had (although their app asked for too damn many essays).  I was so impressed w/ their literature.  If you want to practice in Chicago I think it's a great choice.  One thing I thought was really cool was their law students are automatically admitted to the MA in Poli Sci program.  That would be a very cool joint degree.  I've actually thought about getting a post-JD degree there.

Everyman

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2004, 10:23:18 PM »
Not to derail too much, but how do Chicago Kent and Loyola compare, in terms of strengths and weaknesses??

Hertzy42

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2004, 03:24:43 PM »
Not to derail too much, but how do Chicago Kent and Loyola compare, in terms of strengths and weaknesses??

Straight numbers wise (as of 2003), it looks as though LUC has much better job placement than IIT-Kent. 81% placed by graduation, 110 recruiting full time employers at LUC, only 27 full time recruiting employers at Kent (% placed by graduation n/av probably because it isn't all that great). I remember looking at the US News report awhile back and thinking that they're pretty similar. Oh well, you decide. LOL (I applied to both too, we'll see)

odes

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2004, 06:48:20 PM »
I'm going to be a 1L at Kent next year. Here are some things to keep in mind:

USNEWS Rankings stuff:
IIT (Chicago-Kent)-#63 (3.03-3.56, 157-161) 72.2% grads employed at graduation
Loyola Chicago-#67 (3.16-3.58, 159-162) 73.7% grads employed at graduation
USNEWS specific rankings for IP: (I want to go into IP as well)
IIT (Chicago-Kent)-#15
Loyola Chicago-not in the top 25, 2 other chicago law schools besdies IIT are: DePaul (#9) and John Marshall (#12)

IIT gave me a half-tuition scholarship to defer till Fall 2005 because they were overenrolled for the Fall 2004 entering class. Thus, competition for seats this year will be up from last year. I'm not sure on Loyola's situation. Both are in great locations, I'm from Chicago and love the Michigan Avenue area that Loyola-Chicago is in (The John Hancock Building is at the campus doorstep) and I also love the Loop area that IIT is in. (The Sears Tower is at the campus doorstep) Both have pretty good reputations in Chicago. I think they are similar, I picked IIT because of the $$. Hope this helps. Take care and best of luck in the admissions process.

lastboyscout

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2004, 02:58:48 PM »
Anyone else presently attending Loyola that could share their experiences and thoughts on the school?

kd

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2004, 07:09:44 PM »
I looked at all the Chicago schools to find good IP programs and Loyola is actually lower than Kent and DePaul, even though Loyola stats are higher.  I think because of the connection Kent has with the Illinios Institute of Tech. it has an advantage over the other schools in the IP world -- at least in science and tech cases.
Anyways, I still might apply to Loyola, but there are so many essays...right now I have apps in at Northwestern and Kent and I hope that Kent offers me some money. 
3.8/165

pointdexterish

• Sr. Citizen
  • 95% there
    • View Profile
    • Juris Novus
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2005, 01:23:20 AM »
DePaul is making a huge play for a name in the IP space.  Check out the CIPLIT program at DePaul - there are some huge opportunities for students interested in IP in Chicago.

Same with Kent, their honors program is so damn attractive.

ilsox7

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2005, 01:24:28 AM »
Kent and Loyola seem to be solid Tier 2 schools with Kent threatening Tier 1.  And yea, lots of great opportunities in Chicago if you want to do IP.  Can't go wrong, really.