Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Where Should I Go: MICHIGAN OR UCLA ?

Michigan--even though Ann Arbor Sucks and I don't fit in?
 10 (35.7%)
UCLA--even though it doesn't have Michigan's reputation
 18 (64.3%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Voting closed: June 19, 2007, 01:38:32 PM

Author Topic: Where would you go: MICHIGAN or UCLA?  (Read 2569 times)

LetsGetEm

• View Profile
Where would you go: MICHIGAN or UCLA?
« on: June 04, 2007, 01:38:32 PM »
I'm STILL having trouble deciding between the two schools.

I have a GREAT life in LA (boyfriend, great friends, great weather, connections, etc...), UCLA has some AMAZING faculty members, and, when I sat in on classes, I felt like I fit in a lot better at UCLA.

That all said, MICHIGAN IS MICHIGAN. Judges know it (even the ones on the Supreme Court) and THEY'VE GOT AN AMAZING NUMBER OF FACULTY WHO ARE LEADERS IN THEIR RESPECTIVE FIELDS. It has been a DREAM of mine to someday clerk for the Supreme Court--I'm well aware of how unrealistic that may be--and Michigan has SC clerks almost every year whereas UCLA has only had 4 in its history. Also, Michigan is a THRIVING academic community where people are just as obsessed with school as I am. Of course, I HATE ANN ARBOR!
W/L @:Columbia (fingers crossed)
In and Considering:UCLA and Michigan
Broke it Off with: Duke, Gtown, USC, GWU...(the list goes on...there's only one of me and not enough to go around)

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=ilippe3515

berto

• View Profile
Re: Where would you go: MICHIGAN or UCLA?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 01:41:47 PM »
Go to UCLA. Nobody is going to like hearing you female dog about Ann Arbor and that'll just make you hate them more.

awesomepossum

• Sr. Citizen
  • Playing possum can go too far
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 01:44:21 PM »
If you're gonna HATE it at Michigan, go to UCLA. Why go to Michigan and complain about it?

U.Michigan 2011 (deferred from '10)

Jolie Was Here

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 02:11:32 PM »
If you want advice about where YOU should go why are you asking where I would go? 
I was referring to your intellectual penis. Which is quite robust.

Jolie is creeping up on me. 

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2007, 02:22:18 PM »

GREAT life in LA

I felt like I fit in a lot better at UCLA.

I HATE ANN ARBOR!

You know the answer already.  It is pretty obvious.

But let me say this about the Supreme Court thing ... sometimes you have to reconcile your hopes/ dreams/ vision of your future with reality and the priorities you have in your life as it is.  The plain and simple fact is that the cards are stacked against you getting a supreme court clerkship no matter where you go.  You will have to excel not just in the classroom but as a member of a law journal and probably as an appellate clerk as well.  If you have what it takes the difference between Mich and UCLA is not going to be difficult to overcome.
Not to mention that I have heard a great deal about how several prominent members of UCLAs faculty have been actively urging promising students towards academia.  Get a seminar with Volokh, get a sweet LOR to clerk for the 9th and then jump up to SCOTUS.  See, doable!

Also, I saw a thread on XO last week titled "PSA: WLRK OCIing at UCLA this year."  Just putting that out there.  Nevermind "T14" ... UCLA is one of the elite law schools in this nation.  Go and be happy.
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

Vapid Unicorn

• Sr. Citizen
  • Who, me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2007, 03:05:28 PM »
I would go to Michigan.  I was born and raised in L.A.  It's a terrible place. 

YOU should stay in L.A., though.
Just another 2L.

moonpie

• Sr. Citizen
  • No it's not mexico
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2007, 10:08:41 PM »
Yeah, the only think that makes 1L tolerable are a) being able to go outside, and b) having friends. So I liked it at UCLA. Normally I would tell people in your situation to go to Michigan, but I dunno. What do you want to do besides SCOTUS? Did you go to loyola for undergrad?

The Pookie

• Sr. Citizen
  • the penguin is back!
    • View Profile
    • For Inquiring Minds - LSN
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2007, 10:38:19 PM »
go to UCLA - previous posters had it exactly right when they said that spending 3 years in Ann Arbor, bitching about it, won't make you happy (and probably make you less academically successful), also you won't make friends that way. Seriously, you want UCLA, just take it in the chin and take the TINY prestige bump down and go on and live your happy bunny life with your boyfriend, friends, connections, etc etc.

you don't want to be the girl that people wonder, "why in the hell is she here, if she hates it so much here."

c'est le vie.

LaneSwerver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2007, 10:39:40 PM »
Michigan must rank among the most miserable states in the nation to live. Ann Arbor is nice...I live there, but the state is a hole. Save yourself.

Last King of Edinburgh

• Sr. Citizen
  • Born to rule
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2007, 10:28:43 AM »
Theres a big difference between just hating one place and being OK with the other versus despising one place and loving the other. Go to UCLA.
Washington University School of Law 2010