Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Where Should I Go: MICHIGAN OR UCLA ?

Michigan--even though Ann Arbor Sucks and I don't fit in?
 10 (35.7%)
UCLA--even though it doesn't have Michigan's reputation
 18 (64.3%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Voting closed: June 19, 2007, 01:38:32 PM

Author Topic: Where would you go: MICHIGAN or UCLA?  (Read 2545 times)

jdhu

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Where would you go: MICHIGAN or UCLA?
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2007, 07:13:10 PM »
I'm STILL having trouble deciding between the two schools.

I have a GREAT life in LA (boyfriend, great friends, great weather, connections, etc...), UCLA has some AMAZING faculty members, and, when I sat in on classes, I felt like I fit in a lot better at UCLA.

That all said, MICHIGAN IS MICHIGAN. Judges know it (even the ones on the Supreme Court) and THEY'VE GOT AN AMAZING NUMBER OF FACULTY WHO ARE LEADERS IN THEIR RESPECTIVE FIELDS. It has been a DREAM of mine to someday clerk for the Supreme Court--I'm well aware of how unrealistic that may be--and Michigan has SC clerks almost every year whereas UCLA has only had 4 in its history. Also, Michigan is a THRIVING academic community where people are just as obsessed with school as I am. Of course, I HATE ANN ARBOR!

Haha, I checked out your numbers and was gonna ask about being a male and having a boyfriend, but upon further reading, it now makes sense.

Weird all the schools you got into, and then a WL at American...?

LSATgirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2007, 11:17:24 PM »

I have a GREAT life in LA (boyfriend, great friends, great weather, connections, etc...), UCLA has some AMAZING faculty members, and, when I sat in on classes, I felt like I fit in a lot better at UCLA.

That all said, MICHIGAN IS MICHIGAN. Judges know it (even the ones on the Supreme Court) and THEY'VE GOT AN AMAZING NUMBER OF FACULTY WHO ARE LEADERS IN THEIR RESPECTIVE FIELDS. It has been a DREAM of mine to someday clerk for the Supreme Court--I'm well aware of how unrealistic that may be--and Michigan has SC clerks almost every year whereas UCLA has only had 4 in its history. Also, Michigan is a THRIVING academic community where people are just as obsessed with school as I am. Of course, I HATE ANN ARBOR!

Hi,

I have the same problem as the OP. I'm still trying to decide between michigan and UCLA, and the second deposit date for Michigan is approaching fast.

I really love LA area and hate Ann Arbor just as the OP does. The only thing that concerns me though is the bureaucracy at UCLA.
Michigan seems to be so quick and resourceful when it comes to helping their students--when it comes to housing, orientation information, financial aids etc etc, I didn't even have to ask them for help. They just figured out everything and they just let me know what to do.

On the other hand, I had to call UCLA 100 times to figure out housing, financial aid, etc etc and NOTHING is figured out yet.

I dont know if this is gonna keep happening once I join the school.. when I need to talk to faculties, when i need to find internships and jobs....

I would love to go to UCLA, but im not too happy now

megs2828

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2007, 10:34:05 PM »
Don't know if you're still deciding but I would go to Michigan. I did a lot of research on queer friendly law schools (not sure how big of a factor that is for you) but UPenn and UMich seemed to come out on top...pretty unanimously too (People at Penn said Michigan if they had to choose somewhere else and visa versa) Anyway, that would be my advice. Why not give it a shot and if you don't like it transfer... Don't know many schools that wouldn't think twice about accepting a Michigan transfer

Hope it all works out!

awesomepossum

• Sr. Citizen
  • Playing possum can go too far
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2007, 10:38:09 PM »

Hi,

I have the same problem as the OP. I'm still trying to decide between michigan and UCLA, and the second deposit date for Michigan is approaching fast.

I really love LA area and hate Ann Arbor just as the OP does. The only thing that concerns me though is the bureaucracy at UCLA.
Michigan seems to be so quick and resourceful when it comes to helping their students--when it comes to housing, orientation information, financial aids etc etc, I didn't even have to ask them for help. They just figured out everything and they just let me know what to do.

On the other hand, I had to call UCLA 100 times to figure out housing, financial aid, etc etc and NOTHING is figured out yet.

I dont know if this is gonna keep happening once I join the school.. when I need to talk to faculties, when i need to find internships and jobs....

I would love to go to UCLA, but im not too happy now

I don't understand why you would go to a school where you think you're going to hate it and complain about it.  If you're going to hate AA, just go to UCLA and be done with it.
U.Michigan 2011 (deferred from '10)