Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Working at a CDO/Derivatives firm out of law school?  (Read 304 times)

umass22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Working at a CDO/Derivatives firm out of law school?
« on: June 04, 2007, 12:54:31 AM »
This is probably not the right forum to post this in, but I couldn't really find a better one in here since all the other sections are just about law school.  I have been hearing some very promising information recently regarding obtaining a legal position at a CDO (aka Derivatives) corporation, or firm, whatever they are referred to.  I was trying to found out if it is possible to get an in house counsel job at one of these CDO/Derivatives firms right out of law school?  And if not, what is the best route to take to try to get a job at one of these places? (like what type of position to try to get out of law school).  Thanks a lot.

Hank Rearden

• LSD Obsessed
  • Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
Re: Working at a CDO/Derivatives firm out of law school?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 12:58:36 AM »
What does a derivatives firm do?
CLS '10

The appropriateness of Perpetua would probably depend on the tone of the writing.  When I used it, I (half playfully) thought the extra space made the words sort of resonate.

umass22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 01:04:34 AM »
Derivatives are kind of complicated, if you know about bonds or other "fixed income" type investments, they are similiar to bonds. I'd try to describe it to you but i probably won't explain it right, they are very complicated to even describe. But they are pretty similar to bonds. Basically these are Wall st. type firms, but located all over the country, not just NYC.

Hank Rearden

• LSD Obsessed
  • Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 01:09:06 AM »
Generally I've heard that it is hard to get in-house positions until you have experience in the particular field in which the business in question is involved.  I'm not sure why it would be any different for these CDO firms...
CLS '10

The appropriateness of Perpetua would probably depend on the tone of the writing.  When I used it, I (half playfully) thought the extra space made the words sort of resonate.

umass22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2007, 01:15:13 AM »
Generally I've heard that it is hard to get in-house positions until you have experience in the particular field in which the business in question is involved.  I'm not sure why it would be any different for these CDO firms...

i have no idea if it is different or not, i was just curious.   :D Is the only way to get experience in finance/economics on the legal end working in biglaw firms, or are their other ways?

obamacon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2007, 01:16:57 AM »

Derive furiously.

Hank Rearden

• LSD Obsessed
  • Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2007, 01:22:11 AM »

Derive furiously.

Did you work more than 60 hours this week?
CLS '10