Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Grab your future by the horns  (Read 6052 times)

Texas2L

• Sr. Citizen
  • Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Grab your future by the horns
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2007, 11:07:57 PM »
SMU?

Where are you getting your data?

mikey22

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2007, 01:16:45 AM »
Case Western please
CWRU '10

wiimote

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2007, 02:32:51 AM »
SMU?

Where are you getting your data?

USN, but the raw data from the school is the best source.

SMU
---------------------------
Total graduates: 266
Graduates known to be employed at graduation: N/A
Starting Salaries (2005 Graduates Employed Full-time)
Private sector (25th-75th percentile): $65,000 - $110,000
Median in the private sector: $85,000
Percent in the private sector who reported salary information: 74%
Median in public service: $51,757

Not bad, although the N/A for employed at graduation is suspicious.

wiimote

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2007, 02:34:17 AM »
Case Western please

Case Western
-----------------
Total graduates: 218
Graduates known to be employed at graduation: 81.0%
Private sector (25th-75th percentile): $60,000 - $105,000
Percent in the private sector who reported salary information: 70%
Median in public service: $45,000

Texas2L

• Sr. Citizen
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2007, 11:36:38 AM »

SMU
---------------------------
Total graduates: 266
Graduates known to be employed at graduation: N/A
Private sector (25th-75th percentile): $65,000 - $110,000
Percent in the private sector who reported salary information: 74%
Median in public service: $51,757

Not bad, although the N/A for employed at graduation is suspicious.

The school literature says 98% of the 2005 class was employed 6-9 months after graduation. 

grlykoolblah

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2007, 11:58:25 AM »
wiimote I think the whole issue from this article (http://www.law.com/jsp/tal/PubArticleTAL.jsp?hubtype=Inside&id=1180688730005) is that some schools (note not all) are 1) skewing the employment numbers, 2)doing numerous things (some of them underhanded) to get higher in the rankings.  Therefore, going off even the schools statistics may not give one a clear picture.  While I am not sugesting the Case or SMU are in apart of the trend (I think that they are booth great schools, and I know of grads from booth) I think the gerneral message needs to be that people need to research (on their own).  As in, talk to alumni, talk to judges, research different firms, and things of that nature.  Also they need to factor in cost of living (if they plan on working in that area after they graduate). 

I think lots of people on this board would benifit if someone was able to get the full article (the abstract is here http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=954604) and post it on this board. (Would it be covered under fair use?) So perhaps someone w/acess to this journal (like an Indiana or Illinois student) could do that.  My point is that one should take some of these statistics w/a grain of salt, they should also take the postings of 0L's w/a grain of salt as well.

JohnnyOnTheSpot

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2007, 12:49:29 PM »
koolblah, I just downloaded it using the link you provided.  It's free...but also 50 pages.

mikeyakay2j

« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2007, 01:08:00 PM »
I agree with some other previous posters, I'm sick of people in T14 schools trolling and bashing others, I know I wont make as much MONEY as you will and YES I know there are OTHER more LUCRATIVE ways to make money, but I truly want to do this. I think you have to know all the facts and be realistic that you might not be happy with a 40 or 50K job when you're paying almost $1k a month in debt, but I think you have to look at why you want to go to law school in the first place? Money is not a good bet; but if you want to practice law and you truly enjoy it, you will be happier in law than you will making $150K being a doctor or accountant if you hate it. In the end you have to make a choice and HOPE you will be happy with it, thats the best you can do. Of course I'd want $160k right away after school but its kool if it doesnt happen because I want to do this and I believe I will enjoy it. I also did the research on law and I worked in a law firm for a bit and I truly enjoyed it I just hope I have an interesting career and I hope I will be satisfied, and with all that in mind I hope I make some money at it too, but I'm not here to bash on people from lower schools because if they truly want to go into law they should do it, even in a T4.

grlykoolblah

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2007, 01:09:02 PM »
koolblah, I just downloaded it using the link you provided.  It's free...but also 50 pages.

Oh I see that now, well I'm going to read it, you can PM if you plan to as well.

dukedogalley

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2007, 01:12:58 PM »

Oh I see that now, well I'm going to read it, you can PM if you plan to as well.

seton hall numbers?