;

Author Topic: t-14  (Read 5492 times)

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
Re: t-14
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2007, 01:16:23 PM »
Big Law employment really. Which I admit is somewhat of a limited base, but that's how it is :)

chi does just as well, and even *slighty* better in NY than CLS/NYU simply bc of the small # of their class.  (in much the same way CLS will do *slighty* better in Chi than Chicago), so I don't think this is relevant to separating NYU/Chicago...but that's jmo  :)
Columbia 3L

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2007, 01:23:40 PM »
Big Law employment really. Which I admit is somewhat of a limited base, but that's how it is :)

chi does just as well, and even *slighty* better in NY than CLS/NYU simply bc of the small # of their class.  (in much the same way CLS will do *slighty* better in Chi than Chicago), so I don't think this is relevant to separating NYU/Chicago...but that's jmo  :)

Where do you get it from that Chi does better than CLS and NYU in NY?

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2007, 01:47:18 PM »

Where do you get it from that Chi does better than CLS and NYU in NY?

xoxo (which regardless of the drama, is very good for substantative info) and their studies, as well as concrete info from MTG...he'd definiteoy be one to answer this q.

and by *better*  i mean slighty...not enough to make one choose one school over another
Columbia 3L

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2007, 01:49:47 PM »
Yeah, I certainly understand we're talking margins here, but Chicago doing better than Columbia in NY and Columbia doing better than Chicago in Chicago, I have a very hard time believing that. But I just can't be arsed to actually research it :p

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2007, 02:02:40 PM »
Yeah, I certainly understand we're talking margins here, but Chicago doing better than Columbia in NY and Columbia doing better than Chicago in Chicago, I have a very hard time believing that. But I just can't be arsed to actually research it :p

when you think about it tho, it does make sense--the vast majority of ppl that go to CLS and NYU want to stay in NY...the same cannot be said for Chicago--thus simply by virtue of their smaller class size and the smaller amount of ppl going there they are a hot commodity (bc you know firms like to show off their roster with prestigous school names :D)

LOL and do your research  ;)
Columbia 3L

Jolie Was Here

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2007, 02:09:25 PM »
This also depends on how you're defining "better", imo.  Does "better" mean that a firm will go deeper into a class at School A vs. School B?  Or does it mean a firm will take more students overall from School A vs. School B? 

In any event, you then have to consider the role that different schools' curves will play (for example, employers know - roughly - which of the top schools have lower curves and may be willing to reach deeper into those classes based on GPA.)  You have to consider the effects of disparate class sizes and geographical biases. 

My point is that there's a lot that goes into this calculation.  At some point you're sort of splitting hairs to try and draw broad distinctions between peer schools. 
I was referring to your intellectual penis. Which is quite robust.

Jolie is creeping up on me. 

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2007, 02:13:16 PM »
This also depends on how you're defining "better", imo.  Does "better" mean that a firm will go deeper into a class at School A vs. School B?  Or does it mean a firm will take more students overall from School A vs. School B? 

In any event, you then have to consider the role that different schools' curves will play (for example, employers know - roughly - which of the top schools have lower curves and may be willing to reach deeper into those classes based on GPA.)  You have to consider the effects of disparate class sizes and geographical biases. 

My point is that there's a lot that goes into this calculation. At some point you're sort of splitting hairs to try and draw broad distinctions between peer schools. 

true
Columbia 3L

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2007, 02:19:56 PM »

My point is that there's a lot that goes into this calculation.  At some point you're sort of splitting hairs to try and draw broad distinctions between peer schools. 

But you agree that Columbia is much better than Chicago, right?

Even I wouldn't agree that CLS is much better than Chi...I had a very hard time choosing btwn the two.  I will say that I think that CLS is *slighty* better  ;) ;)
Columbia 3L

Jolie Was Here

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2007, 02:20:24 PM »

But you agree that Columbia is much better than Chicago, right?

In the sense that going there wouldn't make me want to commit seppuku, sure. :P
I was referring to your intellectual penis. Which is quite robust.

Jolie is creeping up on me. 

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2007, 02:29:47 PM »
has cornell ever been top 10?

in 99, 00, and 03
Columbia 3L