Law School Discussion

t-14

t-14
« on: June 03, 2007, 09:32:37 AM »
I've noticed that many ppl refer to the "t-14."  Why 14?  Why not 15?  I'm not being smart.  I'm just curious as to why 14.  Are those 14 seen as decidedly better than 15-30?

If so, with a 3.1 and nothing remarkable from a TTT univ., what do I need on LSAT to have realistic shot?

Re: t-14
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2007, 09:37:10 AM »
I've noticed that many ppl refer to the "t-14."  Why 14?  Why not 15?  I'm not being smart.  I'm just curious as to why 14.  Are those 14 seen as decidedly better than 15-30?

If so, with a 3.1 and nothing remarkable from a TTT univ., what do I need on LSAT to have realistic shot?

t14 = schools that have been in the top14 since the first rankings and all have been in the top 10 at least once.

get a 170+

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2007, 10:13:46 AM »
What Jem said, and 170+ gives you a good chance at T-14. However, mid and high 160's get into T-14's also, and if you are a URM 165+ puts you in good position.

bamf

• legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2007, 10:13:56 AM »
has cornell ever been top 10?

bamf

• legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2007, 10:19:42 AM »

I think the answer to this is yes, but a very nuanced yes.  Would someone call you crazy for taking UT over Columbia or Chicago? Yes.  Will they do the same for taking UT over Cornell, Georgetown or Northwestern?  Probably not as much.

Personally I like to view it in tiers:
H, Y, S
C,C,N
Penn, Boalt, Virgina, Duke, Michigan
NW, GULC, Cornell
UCLA, UT, Vandy and USC
All the rest of 19-30 (ish ... plus UNC)
Everyone else.

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2007, 10:47:56 AM »
Thanks.  I realize a 170+ is no small feat but I think I can do it.  I'm taking the sep. exam.  I plan to have everything in at my desired law schools(probably every school in the top 14) by sep and then the only thing that we'll have to wait on is LSAT.

I'll register for LSDAS next week.  Is that a pretty simple process?  Is it worth it to jut use the LSDAS service in order to apply to each school?  I've heard that it's much more convenient.

bamf

• legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2007, 11:16:46 AM »
Thanks.  I realize a 170+ is no small feat but I think I can do it.  I'm taking the sep. exam.  I plan to have everything in at my desired law schools(probably every school in the top 14) by sep and then the only thing that we'll have to wait on is LSAT.

I'll register for LSDAS next week.  Is that a pretty simple process?  Is it worth it to jut use the LSDAS service in order to apply to each school?  I've heard that it's much more convenient.

you have to register with LSDAs, no two ways around it.  It is the only way you can get your LSAT sent out.  But yeah, applying online is much easier (many schools require it).

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2007, 11:18:20 AM »

LSDAS is much more convenient, it allows you to apply to schools and do paperwork all through one entity instead of working with each school separately.

Although LSAT is the most important part in admissions you should also start working on your personal statement and think of professors who will write you letters of recommendation.
If you have received all of your spring semester grades I suggest you send in the transcript now.

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2007, 11:24:14 AM »
Thanks for the helpful info.

I think I can have 2 rec(i'm only doing 2.   Should I do more?) in by mid-August.  I'll have my school send my transcripts sometime next week.  How long does it take LSAC to process transcripts?  Can I view what they come up with  w/regards to "LSDAS GPA" and all of that?

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2007, 11:30:17 AM »
Thanks for the helpful info.

I think I can have 2 rec(i'm only doing 2.   Should I do more?) in by mid-August.  I'll have my school send my transcripts sometime next week.  How long does it take LSAC to process transcripts?  Can I view what they come up with  w/regards to "LSDAS GPA" and all of that?

get 3