Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Just got my final semester grades, and they are not good :(  (Read 2542 times)

umass22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I'm worried that I might get my admission pulled. When I applied, I had a 3.6 GPA. This semester I got a 2.6 GPA (2 B's, a B-, and a C-). But i took a 12 credit load instead of 15, so my cumulative is at a 3.48 right now, and this is my final college GPA, im gradutating with a 3.48. Should i be worried, because this semester was substantially lower than any GPA i've ever gotten (i got a 2.9, but that was 1st semester freshman year, past that ive never gotten below a 3.5. Should I not worry since my cumulative is still fine, or is a bad final semester going to make them pull me from the school I haven't even started at yet?

Hank Rearden

• LSD Obsessed
  • Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
Re: Just got my final semester grades, and they are not good :(
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2007, 01:36:25 AM »
I think you'll be fine to not have your acceptance pulled, but transferring to Columbia might be more problematic...

:(
CLS '10

The appropriateness of Perpetua would probably depend on the tone of the writing.  When I used it, I (half playfully) thought the extra space made the words sort of resonate.

umass22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2007, 01:40:09 AM »
I think you'll be fine to not have your acceptance pulled, but transferring to Columbia might be more problematic...

:(
lol,  well honestly I didn't worry about that because I highly doubt I would ever be able to transfer into that school anyway, it's just so damn hard to get into. And if worse comes to worse and they won't take me soley because of my final spring grades and not because of law school grades, im sure ill be high enough in my class at Miami to secure a nice biglaw job in Miami.  :) But as of now, I'm just really concerned to make sure my admission to Miami is safe at least.

Hank Rearden

• LSD Obsessed
  • Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2007, 01:43:12 AM »
Yeah, I think you'll be fine. 
CLS '10

The appropriateness of Perpetua would probably depend on the tone of the writing.  When I used it, I (half playfully) thought the extra space made the words sort of resonate.

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2007, 09:16:07 AM »
The only thing to worry about is future employers. Some positions will ask for your UG transcript after 1L because they interview before grades come out.

adc676

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2007, 10:58:21 AM »
If you are really worried about Miami maybe write them a short letter explaining the circumstances or what have you.  I think all law schools require an official transcript sent directly from your UG in or around August.  It's not one of those things where they only see it if you choose to update them kind of things.

But in general I would not worry at all.  It's still high for Miami and doing well in law school will trump a single semester of law school. 

Good luck!

umass22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2007, 11:16:16 AM »
If you are really worried about Miami maybe write them a short letter explaining the circumstances or what have you.  I think all law schools require an official transcript sent directly from your UG in or around August.  It's not one of those things where they only see it if you choose to update them kind of things.

But in general I would not worry at all.  It's still high for Miami and doing well in law school will trump a single semester of law school. 

Good luck!

i don't have any circumstances. I was an idiot and thought I could slack and still do fine, and I obviously could not. There is no explanation that would be valid to them, so i don't even want to tell them unless they ask me about it. And if they do ask me, I will be 100% honest. There is nothing worse then getting caught lying or making false excuses in a profession that is based completely on honesty and ethics.

umass22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2007, 11:18:04 AM »
The only thing to worry about is future employers. Some positions will ask for your UG transcript after 1L because they interview before grades come out.

that is kind of upsetting if true, but how could I interview for a 1L summer position without knowing if I am top 10% of my class or not? It's not something I would waste my time with unless I know for a fact I did very well and have the official grades, because if I interview and do all that jazz and then wind up with mediocre grades, there is no chance I would get a summer internship my 1L anyway.  But still, I'm not too happy about what I did.

TimothyLeary

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2007, 11:29:07 AM »
I did something similar, that makes me look even more flaky.  The admissions office at my school informed me that it would not endanger my acceptance or scholarship offer because they make their decision based on what they know.  I am worried about this too, but does it ever really happen? 

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2007, 11:30:10 AM »

that is kind of upsetting if true, but how could I interview for a 1L summer position without knowing if I am top 10% of my class or not? It's not something I would waste my time with unless I know for a fact I did very well and have the official grades, because if I interview and do all that jazz and then wind up with mediocre grades, there is no chance I would get a summer internship my 1L anyway.  But still, I'm not too happy about what I did.

I just finished 1L. Many of my friends and I were asked for our undergrad transcripts because many firms and judges do ask for your undergrad transcript. I have two jobs this summer (one with a judge and one with a small firm), neither of which asked for a transcript at all. If you wow them in the interview, they may take you without knowing if you have stellar grades.