Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UT and the residency quota!!!  (Read 1775 times)

ronin3782

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - matsuishir
    • View Profile
    • Email
UT and the residency quota!!!
« on: September 18, 2004, 06:51:55 PM »
So honestly, what are chances of someone like me out of state getting into Texas?

I know everyone ive spoken with says that they have a state legislative quota that says they need 80% in-state admits. 2 people from my undergrad at UCLA that had like low 170s with a 3.8ish got into top 5s, but both got flat rejected from Texas. Is anyone else out there tossing their hat in the ring? And if so...do you know something i don't...or do you just have an extra 70 bling to spare.

I say down with Texas and their ridiculously hot girls. ;D I'm petitioning to the UC Regents to deny all Texans and mess with them. :o
I will miss LA :-(

ronin3782

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: UT and the residency quota!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2004, 06:53:26 PM »
The same goes for those North Carolinians (is that even a word?)

dr_draino

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2004, 06:53:42 PM »
Someone like you appears to not be wise enough to include information about themselves when asking such a question.  I'd say low chance of admission

dr_draino

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2004, 06:54:05 PM »
Yes, I am a North Carolinian.

The same goes for those North Carolinians (is that even a word?)

ronin3782

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2004, 07:34:14 PM »
Oh sorry...I thought by the flow of the 2nd paragraph that it would make sense that like my friends...i also have a 3.8 and low 170s (171)  :P

No problem if you didn't read into that though, you are from North Carolina  ;)
I'm just playin with you son.

dr_draino

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2004, 07:37:29 PM »
Well then, I'd say you have a good shot at UNC, UT who knows...but I don't see that as being absolute reject material.  Worth a shot.

Oh sorry...I thought by the flow of the 2nd paragraph that it would make sense that like my friends...i also have a 3.8 and low 170s (171)  :P

No problem if you didn't read into that though, you are from North Carolina  ;)
I'm just playin with you son.

sheaday

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2004, 02:11:38 AM »
What about Texas residents who dont have high GPA/LSAT scores?

badmoonontherise

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2004, 01:22:27 AM »
What do you think my chances of getting into UT are?  LSDAS GPA-3.85/167 and I'm in-state.  Thanks.
3.85/167

gobears

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2004, 01:39:38 AM »
ronin: I think maybe your friends were yield protected.  But if you show you have a strong interest in going to UT, and call the admissions office and correspond with them and let them know UT is your clear first choice, etc., then you should have no problem getting in.  Also, ask for money. 

Seriously, though, and as you already know 'cos of your friends, with your numbers, you've got a good shot at much higher ranked schools.  Perhaps with money from them too.  Heck, you might even be like your friends and get into a top 5 school.  So why even bother applying to UT, unless you really, really, really just love the place?  Why not apply to UCLA instead, which is comparably ranked, and much cheaper for in-state people (I assume that's what you are), if you don't mind staying in LA for another three years; you'd be an auto-admit there, again, assuming you're in-state.

badmoonontherise: if you apply by like the end of October, you're an auto-admit.