Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

keeping in mind the factors mentioned below, which school would you attend?

USD (fulltime) with 20,000 a year
 20 (71.4%)
Fordham (parttime)
 8 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Author Topic: a dude w/ heart disease asks: USD with $$ or fordham (parttime)?  (Read 2046 times)

simonsays

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: a dude w/ heart disease asks: USD with $$ or fordham (parttime)?
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2007, 08:56:18 PM »

USD.  californians are more partial to regional schools than east coasters.

san diego culture is more conducive to your health.  besides, 3 stents, how the heck do people get the the ER in NYC, the subway?

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2007, 09:31:29 PM »
I'd pick USD. I don't necessarily think NYC would be that bad, just take care who you associate with, but you seem more interested in going back to CA, the weather's better, the price is better and even if you wouldn't mind staying a few years in NYC, you seem set to go back. Fordham's lead in ranking won't mean much, if anything, in Cali. Go USD.

Roman815

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2007, 09:36:06 PM »
Ugh.  People just don't listen.

If it's health that's your first priority, then go to USD.  The money is guaranteed, and USD does extremely well in the San Diego area despite being a Tier 2 school (which negates the whole rankings bull, anyway). 

I can't think of a better city to live in for your situation.  The money is the clincher.  You may not hit BigLaw out of USD, but that shouldn't concern you unless you had your heart set on it.  And if you do, then Fordham is probably the right choice, but I don't see how you hope to live stress-free for a long time and work in BigLaw at the same time.

I have to agree here. People should respond to the OP based on what HIS priorities are, not their own. If the OP prefers a healthy lifestyle with less stress then it's obvious that USD is the right choice here. The OP is correctly prioritizing his life. It's time to make a sacrifice for the sake of living longer. I'll be seeing the OP at USD in the fall!
University of San Diego School of Law Class of 2010!

LSN

Booyakasha2

• Sr. Citizen
  • Dig to get jiggy wiv mr. biggy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2007, 09:39:09 PM »
just curious, how does one get a heart attack at 27?  Do you have a family history?  Have high cholesterol?  Overweight?  I ask because i've been having strange chest pains (ever since sept lsats which also coincide w/when my job started getting stressful).  I finally decided to get it checked out on Monday with a cardiologist so we'll see.
Princeton Law 2010

yourlocalsuperhero

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2007, 09:52:31 PM »
USD has a positive connotation.  I doubt that many people in my (western) metro area have ever heard of Fordham. 

While the air quality in SD is (too) far from good, it's a much better place to be than NY.

I hope that, most importantly, this information is valuable to you:  Heart disease is reversible.  This serious condition does not disappear in all cases, of course, but there is treatment.  Valuable treatment that patients can manage:

This protocol by Dr. Dean Ornish, a highly respected physician in a dozen ways, is recommended by docs who are serious about preventing and intervening with heart disease:

http://www.amazon.com/Ornishs-Program-Reversing-Heart-Disease/dp/0804110387

There are plenty of legitimate resources compatible with Dr. Ornish's approach.  Just two:
http://www.pcrm.org/resources/education/nutrition/nutrition1.html
http://www.drfuhrman.com/disease/HeartDisease.aspx

In any event, good luck!

(And check out Dr. Ornish's bio http://www.webmd.com/content/pages/4/3080_453)
Why is everyone so quiet?  Is this the democracy you wanted? (Subcomandante Marcos)

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2007, 10:09:05 PM »
USD has a positive connotation.  I doubt that many people in my (western) metro area have ever heard of Fordham. 

Well, the legal business is a slightly incestuous business, the people hiring you are lawyers like you. If western lawyers haven't heard of Fordham, I wouldn't take a job there. But certainly, they don't pack the same "punch" as they do in NYC.

theheartattacks

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2007, 04:47:33 AM »
thanks for the info yourlocal.  i appreciate the input and helpful info.  i am very familiar with dean ornish...and have attended one of his PMRI seminars.  in anycase...thanks for the love!

While the air quality in SD is (too) far from good, it's a much better place to be than NY.

I hope that, most importantly, this information is valuable to you:  Heart disease is reversible.  This serious condition does not disappear in all cases, of course, but there is treatment.  Valuable treatment that patients can manage:

This protocol by Dr. Dean Ornish, a highly respected physician in a dozen ways, is recommended by docs who are serious about preventing and intervening with heart disease:

http://www.amazon.com/Ornishs-Program-Reversing-Heart-Disease/dp/0804110387

There are plenty of legitimate resources compatible with Dr. Ornish's approach.  Just two:
http://www.pcrm.org/resources/education/nutrition/nutrition1.html
http://www.drfuhrman.com/disease/HeartDisease.aspx

In any event, good luck!

(And check out Dr. Ornish's bio http://www.webmd.com/content/pages/4/3080_453)

Booyakasha2

• Sr. Citizen
  • Dig to get jiggy wiv mr. biggy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2007, 06:28:34 AM »
just curious, how does one get a heart attack at 27?  Do you have a family history?  Have high cholesterol?  Overweight?  I ask because i've been having strange chest pains (ever since sept lsats which also coincide w/when my job started getting stressful).  I finally decided to get it checked out on Monday with a cardiologist so we'll see.

family history? yup.  my uncle died of a heartattack at age 34.  my father has a history of coronary artery disease and diabetes. i've had high cholesterol since childhood.
overweight?  a tad. probably 20-25 pounds overweight.
stress?  you bet.  i opened a new business and was working ridiculious hours while living a fast life - sex drugs and rock and roll---err actually hip hop.

your chest pains may be acid reflux...but it depends on what type of pain you feel.  is it burning? or does it feel like you are short of breath...ie a gorilla sitting on your chest?
a stress test may be a good idea.  let me know what you are diagnosed with bro...and good luck!

thanks, i will.  Im not overweight, i workout and eat right, no history....so its strange.  It seems as if my cardiologist isnt too worried either.  I dunno, i feel as if it was something serious, i would have had some sort of event by now...  I just want to find out wtf it is before i start school and lose my awesome health insurance.
Princeton Law 2010

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2007, 07:52:26 AM »
I had some chest pains too a while ago, but had it looked at and was told it was nothing to worry about. According to my doctor, chest pains are fairly casual, and most of the time they don't mean anything serious is wrong.

darlinalexi

• Sr. Citizen
  • Southwestern Class of 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2007, 09:18:49 AM »
Go to USD.  I would imagine that the program is going to be a less competitive environment than Fordham will be.  Also, being in a sunny environment rather than working through a rough winter has got to be better for your health (more opportunities for outdoor work-outs and such). Also, dude, medical bills suck. (I have a chronic disease and live at the doctor's so I understand.)   Go with where you are going to save money in case, heaven forbid, you have health issues again.  You don't want to deal with that and everything else. 

Also, if full-time ends up being too stressful after your first year, USD might accommodate a  division change to part-time... I'm not sure about that though.

I'd say it's a no-brainer. You aren't talking Fordham vs. a Tier 3 or 4.