Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

keeping in mind the factors mentioned below, which school would you attend?

USD (fulltime) with 20,000 a year
 20 (71.4%)
Fordham (parttime)
 8 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Author Topic: a dude w/ heart disease asks: USD with $$ or fordham (parttime)?  (Read 2017 times)

theheartattacks

• View Profile
first post guys...so please be kind.   ;D

its deposit day today, so its time to make a choice.

university of san diego with a renewable $20,000 grant (its guaranteed, based on need).
(85 in the rankings)
tuition is 16k = 70,000 in debt after law school

versus

fordham university (part time) with a free hat and pen from admitted students week
(25 in the rankings)
tuition is 37k = 180,000 in debt after law school

i hope to pursue corporate transactions with the goal of becoming general counsel in an IP/startup setting. rankings wise, fordham is SUPERIOR...no doubt about it. despite my hope to work in CA eventually, i dont mind living in nyc for a year or two post grad - so location is not really an issue.   supposedly fordham is considered the kinder/gentle law school in NYC (atleast thats what it says in the princeton review book). on top of that, i'm enrolled as a part time student, making the workload significantly less.
i would actually go with Fordham if it wasn't for...

***THE KICKER***

what scares me is the stressful/unhealthy pace of new york. i was actually supposed to start 1L last year, but had to postpone it due to a heartattack (yes a heartattack...i was 27 at the time).  three stents, and an extreme lifestyle change later...i'm ready for law school.  i just dont know if NYC conforms to my new healthy way of life.  San Diego, however,  seems like the direct opposite of NYC in terms of attitude and happiness.

so when it comes down to it my priorities are:
Health/Happiness
Ranking/Prestige and subsequent networking possibilities.
Cost

comments?  suggestions?  thanks guys!

Yankees Fan

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Ask+me
    • View Profile
Re: a dude w/ heart disease asks: USD with $$ or fordham (parttime)?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 04:11:46 PM »
If Fordham PT lets me in off the WL, I'll be in your exact situation, only with a few thousand less at USD (and mine's not a grant).  I currently live in NYC.  I'll be going to USD regardless, for many of the reasons you stated.

Not saying that's the right choice for you.
USD 2010

TrashCat

• Sr. Citizen
  • My job requires a certain... moral flexibility.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 04:40:06 PM »
Didnt see the part time. USD.

whoneedsanABA

• Sr. Citizen
  • praise the basketball gods!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 05:03:19 PM »
voted for fordham.  if the $ offered was for a full scholarship, i would say USD...the employment statistics for fordham are just too impressive.  the top half of the class will be offered big law jobs.  even at 25, i believe they are underrated. oh and about the p/t thing, i hear this is the last year you will be able to transfer easily from p/t to f/t. 
it may come down to fordham v. hastings...

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
  • Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 06:12:15 PM »
Ugh.  People just don't listen.

If it's health that's your first priority, then go to USD.  The money is guaranteed, and USD does extremely well in the San Diego area despite being a Tier 2 school (which negates the whole rankings bull, anyway). 

I can't think of a better city to live in for your situation.  The money is the clincher.  You may not hit BigLaw out of USD, but that shouldn't concern you unless you had your heart set on it.  And if you do, then Fordham is probably the right choice, but I don't see how you hope to live stress-free for a long time and work in BigLaw at the same time.
J, if you didn't bring enough penis for everyone, you shouldn't have brought any penis at all. 

////

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 06:20:11 PM »
My kind advice - None of the above. Get a CPA and become an accountant - much lower impact, i'd imagine.

Edna St. Vincent Millay

• Sr. Citizen
  • "Portrait of a Poetess"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2007, 06:22:01 PM »
i've lived in new york for the last two years. it seems to me like you'd prefer a higher quality of life than you would have living in nyc. new york is not a comfortable place to live at all. it's hard to relax in a tiny apartment without central air for which you're paying top price. plus, the gym memberships are extremely expensive so it's easy to fall away from a healthy lifestyle.

take care, and good luck!
Flight of the Conchords

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=11067696

Northwestern 2010.

whoneedsanABA

• Sr. Citizen
  • praise the basketball gods!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2007, 06:24:38 PM »
fordham may still be the better choice stress wize, especially since you will be attending part time.  i believe it is 4 classes per semester instead of 5.

but for the most part, i believe astro is right.  you might want to abandon your biglaw dreams if stress is detrimental to your well being. biglaw's billable hours is no joke!
it may come down to fordham v. hastings...

theheartattacks

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2007, 06:36:52 PM »
sorry.  no CPA for me.  its law all the way (plus i suck at math).

jillibean

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm the pretty one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2007, 08:46:59 PM »
I say USD

Side note: Your name reminds me of funny story about my son. When he gets mad he puts up one fist and says "you want the coconut or you want the heartattack?" and puts up his other fist. Then he hits you and says " I call that the heart attack"

Okay.. I thought it was cute
UMiami c/o 2010