Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Getting PS help from parents...  (Read 927 times)

Candide

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Getting PS help from parents...
« on: September 18, 2004, 05:37:46 PM »
Don't do it unless your parent is a good writer and has seen an example of a good PS.  My dad thought I was suppose to write it like a structured proposal of why I'm a good candidate for X law school, so he hated the PS that my professors loved.  Completely sucked out all the confidence I had in it, even though I know it shouldn't have.

Fred Hits

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Getting PS help from parents...
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2004, 03:13:45 PM »
i think parents are a fine source as long as you know your parents well- what i mean by that is realize ahead of time what they are good at picking up and looking for (odds are you know your parents inside and out) and tell them what you need to have in the essay and what you are trying \to shoot for.  For me personally, I will use my parents as a "is it clear that this is describing me" type function.  They know me really well and if i can transmit that in a ps, nobody will be bette rhten themn at picking it up

newy

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2004, 03:34:42 PM »
My dad was a lot of help because he is pretty scientific in his approach to writing (opposite of me, I tend to appeal to emotions).  I think its really helpful to find someone who is stylistically very different from you because they can point out things that you would never even see.  A PS needs to appeal to the widest possible audience.

desmo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2004, 03:38:41 PM »
Actually, I think a PS only needs to appeal to a very specific audience - the adcomm.  Everyone else doesn't matter.  It needs to be a reflection of you, why you would add diversity to the school, and your reasons for pursuing a career in law.

newy

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2004, 03:39:36 PM »
Actually, I think a PS only needs to appeal to a very specific audience - the adcomm.  Everyone else doesn't matter.  It needs to be a reflection of you, why you would add diversity to the school, and your reasons for pursuing a career in law.

I guess I didn't mean audience.  I meant that you should stay as safe and neutral as possible because you don't know the quirks of the person who will be reading this.  Kind of along the lines of not getting political because you might lose half of your audience.

desmo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2004, 03:46:06 PM »
Agreed, generally I've found most schools to lean to the liberal side.  Even so, it's a good idea to keep away from the sensitive subjects - ie abortion, politics, etc.

Candide

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2004, 05:22:03 PM »
My dad was a lot of help because he is pretty scientific in his approach to writing (opposite of me, I tend to appeal to emotions).  I think its really helpful to find someone who is stylistically very different from you because they can point out things that you would never even see.  A PS needs to appeal to the widest possible audience.

Sounds like my Dad (biologist): "you spend too much time talking about feelings."  If I followed all his advice my PS would be cold as a rock.  I think letting the adcomm know your emotional responses to certain events can be done in mature fashion; as long as you're concise and precise with your adjectives, you'll enable the adcomm to see you as a real person. 

I strongly agree with your statement about appealing to the widest possible audience.  Good writing is good writing, and anyone should be able to pick up your PS and say, "Damn.  This is easy to read."  After I slept on it, I realized that the draft I gave my dad wasn't my best possible product, and several of his suggestions were quite compelling.

lazybum

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2004, 11:21:01 AM »
edit