Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Any jitters, second thoughts?  (Read 3643 times)

pdxsaint

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Any jitters, second thoughts?
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2007, 08:39:03 PM »
Ha!  I hear ya on that!  Can't wait for my last day.
Gonzaga 2010: Decided

jillibean

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm the pretty one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2007, 08:54:49 PM »
It'll be wierd not getting a paycheck anymore.
Meh, I dunno... I BARELY get one now...

side note to Captain Longshot- I really like that Emory seal. Makes me a lil jealous
UMiami c/o 2010

S.A.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2007, 09:15:56 PM »
I think these are normal, and warranted worries and anxiety over this big step that we are taking.  No matter how much research you've done, or how sure you are, there's some degree of a "leap of faith" in play here. 

Also, the type of anxiety we're displaying is actually a positive evolutionary trait.  This anxiety is productive and self-preserving in the manner that it forces us to be aware of possible downsides, not turn a blind eye to them, address them, and maximize the potential for our long-term success.

This obviously played out more dramatically with regards to the potato famine, the plague, etc, but you get the point; it was the "mehhh, we'll see what happens"-people who were unprepared for extreme circumstances and were Darwin's D students.

Damn you guys are really whipping out every possible explanation for why it's ok to feel apprehensive! Not that it's a bad thing - I am already feeling better :)

Bonus points for bringing in the evolutionary analysis!

ithappensforareason

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2007, 02:36:27 AM »
It'll be wierd not getting a paycheck anymore.

Thats how I feel as well.

I have been working since I was 15 and now I am 23.

I have been used to working and having an income.

That is what I am most scared of.  :-[

john jacob

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2007, 03:22:57 AM »
I'm worried that I'm not mature enough to handle it. I'm worried that I'll shut down once the pressure gets turned on. I'm worried about not find a job after graduation. I'm worried about hating whatever job I find after graduation. I'm worried that the school isn't quite good enough for what it costs to attend (even if it is on the low end).

Actually, those doubts have pretty much hit a critical mass. I did get a callback from a legal aid society where I had applied for a one-year position. I think I'm going to take it.

mrdunson

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2007, 12:09:08 AM »
I had my second thoughts, but I'm cool with me now.

goosenesque

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2007, 12:14:18 AM »
I have second thoughts all the time...

I reckon I'm a much better bassist than I will be a law school student, so why not just invest the 100 grand in studio time?

Now THAT is a second thought.

MelissaM

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2007, 04:14:26 PM »
I have second thoughts daily. I wonder if I am doing the right things, how will I ever pay the debt, what if I'm just not cut out for this. Then I started even worrying about passing the bar exam and I haven't even started law school yet. I was buying all these "how to be successful in law school" books and stressing myself out even more. Craziness....and then I just realized I need to relax and take it one day at a time. I'm approaching it as this is something I've set my mind to and have wanted to do, so I'll do it and try my hardest my first year and if at the end I figure out it's not for me then at least I can say I tried and I'll be satisfied with myself no matter what the outcome. Glad to see others are somewhat worried too and I'm not the only spaz  ;)

Chippewa to Torero

• Burgundy '08
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2007, 12:59:48 PM »
I think these are normal, and warranted worries and anxiety over this big step that we are taking.  No matter how much research you've done, or how sure you are, there's some degree of a "leap of faith" in play here. 

Also, the type of anxiety we're displaying is actually a positive evolutionary trait.  This anxiety is productive and self-preserving in the manner that it forces us to be aware of possible downsides, not turn a blind eye to them, address them, and maximize the potential for our long-term success.

This obviously played out more dramatically with regards to the potato famine, the plague, etc, but you get the point; it was the "mehhh, we'll see what happens"-people who were unprepared for extreme circumstances and were Darwin's D students.

Damn you guys are really whipping out every possible explanation for why it's ok to feel apprehensive! Not that it's a bad thing - I am already feeling better :)

Bonus points for bringing in the evolutionary analysis!

Apparently I just can't leave my pre-med/neuroscience-infused take on human behavior behind.  ;)
University of San Diego 2010

DDBY

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2007, 01:37:19 PM »
My sister takes care of my 2nd thoughts for me.  When I'm showing her stuff for encouragement the first thing she asks is whether I'm sure I can make it through.  Then she reminds me of the massive debt, and asks what I'll do if I only make it 1 or 2 years.

Nice huhn?