Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Any jitters, second thoughts?  (Read 3689 times)

Booyakasha2

• Sr. Citizen
  • Dig to get jiggy wiv mr. biggy
    • View Profile
Re: Any jitters, second thoughts?
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2007, 08:43:06 PM »
About a week ago I was panicky because I thought I was making a hige mistake- 150K in debt after 3 years and I may not find a job. I also want 3 more kids within the next 7 years and I am not willing to give up my family life for a job and I started to wonder if it was all possible. Then I snapped out of it yesterday.

\

yea i cant do that.  Im an IMTJ...ref other thread.

Wait, you want 3 more kids?  As in you have a few right now?  150k is a lot of debt.  Just make sure you realize that you will need a big firm job for this ........meaning top 10%.
Princeton Law 2010

jillibean

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm the pretty one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2007, 08:44:18 PM »
About a week ago I was panicky because I thought I was making a hige mistake- 150K in debt after 3 years and I may not find a job. I also want 3 more kids within the next 7 years and I am not willing to give up my family life for a job and I started to wonder if it was all possible. Then I snapped out of it yesterday.

\

Wait, you want 3 more kids?  As in you have a few right now?  150k is a lot of debt.

yeah I have one right now. The debt I'm not really worried about too much. I figure that I will work to pay off my loans and pay for the kids and such and my husband will take care of the rest.
UMiami c/o 2010

Booyakasha2

• Sr. Citizen
  • Dig to get jiggy wiv mr. biggy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2007, 08:45:33 PM »

\

Wait, you want 3 more kids?  As in you have a few right now?  150k is a lot of debt.
...and my husband will take care of the rest.

yea i need to get me a sugarmoma...
Princeton Law 2010

P.U.S.H

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2007, 01:00:15 AM »
I'm only worried about my 2 higher ranked schools trying to come through on me - now that I've signed my promissory note :-\

Other than that, I'm done with the nerves and indecision...and it's actually getting harder to think of things to post on here :P
Everday I'm HUSL'in

scooby21322

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - cmschube
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/login.php
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2007, 01:08:16 AM »
I'm not having second thoughts on law school in general, just the one I picked.  I went for one of the middle of the road schools since it costs so much less (Arkansas).  I know its a good school, especially in the region, but I still have those 'what ifs' about those high priced schools I passed up.

Stuart

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2007, 01:56:19 AM »
I'm having second (or eighth) thoughts because I turned down a couple very appealing offers from grad departments in my field (math) even though my law school would have deferred a couple years. I'm dealing with them alternately well and badly by pointing out to myself that the decision is in the past, and that law school will be interesting, and I should focus on the grand adventure (and also that, however big a commitment it may seem, it's not the end of my life, and I can still change directions if I hate it).

Overall not bad though. Thanks for the calming thoughts, all.

pdxsaint

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2007, 09:29:57 AM »
Well, whats the worst that can happen?  Law School or a bad law firm job can't kill you.  The worst thing would be realizing somewhere down the road to change careers.  There is no way to be 100% of something, but I have a feeling that this is the best step for me.

Gonzaga 2010: Decided

michelle d

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2007, 12:25:09 PM »
um...  :(

For real, I thought I would be immune to this. I was not prepared for the jitters, and now they are getting the best of me. :(

I think you and I are the same -- I have the same issue, and obviously neither of us will have problems finding a job out of the T14.  It makes me sort of nauseated whenever I think about it.  I honestly think it's a personality type and there's not much you can do to fix it, but you can mitigate it.

Maybe remind yourself it's three years, and if you don't like it the worst case scenario is dropping out (not the end of the world, you'd have debt equivalent to a new car) and the second worst case scenario is graduating, working for a firm, and not liking it.  In this case you can either stick around for another year or two and pay off all your debt, or switch to something more suited to you.  Either way, if you're a traditional student you can be debt free by ~30 with a prestigious degree that's certainly not going to hurt you if you decide to do something else later.  At most you're signing away 5-6 years, not the rest of your life.
U of Chicago 2010.

Captain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/5526/thumbid5.jpg
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2007, 12:29:34 PM »
yes
VIP.

RedWine

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2007, 12:48:31 PM »
I'm absolutely getting jitters.  Although I like my job, it's definitely time for me to be back in school...but giving up the awesome, cheap health insurance I have now is killing me.  Not being able to contribute to retirement for 3 years hurts.  The thought of job searching again for summer positions and then for a real job after LS, and then not having the amount of respect and flexibility my current boss gives me (which would probably be the case in ANY other job, not just in the legal field), doesn't thrill me.  But in order to get where I eventually want to be, I need to do this and I'm excited about law school itself...just not some of the little things that come with it.