Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is There a Decision Between U Maryland and Temple?  (Read 901 times)

INXCES

• View Profile
    • Email
Is There a Decision Between U Maryland and Temple?
« on: May 29, 2007, 11:34:29 PM »
Admittedly, I am bit unusual as an applicant ... long story.
Regardless, the decision process has not gone as anticipated ...
A little advice?

My choices are U Maryland versus Temple (with a $12K per year scholarship).  I'm more interested in attending the best school I can (academics, challenging coursework, professors, student interaction/fun, quality of life), than worrying about my loans.  So, since I don't put a ton of value on the Temple scholarship, is there any other significant reason to consider Temple over UML?

Stan

Hanging Around for the Summer: UMinn and W&M (both are preferred choices).

superrob-rp7

• View Profile
Re: Is There a Decision Between U Maryland and Temple?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007, 08:12:17 PM »
If you're interested in studying abroad, Temple offers loads of these programs, in Tokyo, Beijing, Rome, Cork, and Tel Aviv (which I'm sure you've already checked out).  I can speak from experience that the Tokyo program, which I participated in this spring, is awesome.  Feel free to PM me if you're interested.  Maryland doesn't have such programs.  Good luck, wherever you end up.

Booyakasha2

• Sr. Citizen
  • Dig to get jiggy wiv mr. biggy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2007, 09:56:04 PM »
Admittedly, I am bit unusual as an applicant ... long story.
Regardless, the decision process has not gone as anticipated ...
A little advice?

My choices are U Maryland versus Temple (with a $12K per year scholarship).  I'm more interested in attending the best school I can (academics, challenging coursework, professors, student interaction/fun, quality of life), than worrying about my loans.  So, since I don't put a ton of value on the Temple scholarship, is there any other significant reason to consider Temple over UML?

Stan

Hanging Around for the Summer: UMinn and W&M (both are preferred choices).

I think the kicker should be where youd prefer working in.  The Philly legal market or the MD/Bmore/overcrowded DC market.  Not saying the Philly market isnt the best one either, but I feel like on the food chain, Temple is up there behind UPenn.

In DC however, theres Georgetown>GWU>GMU>American/MD/Catholic>Howard>UDC and plenty of grads from the T14. 
Princeton Law 2010

INXCES

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2007, 04:05:33 PM »
UPDATE:

I visited both schools on Friday.  There wasn't a dramatic difference between the facilities.  The UML facility was brand new in 2002, but the Temple facility was nice as well.  However, I found a very different atmosphere at each school.  UML seemed friendlier, more welcoming, and more accessible.  Temple is located on a high speed city street, while UML was surrounded by a number of medium and slow paced streets.  A large number of students live within walking distance at UML, while at Temple I'm not even sure that is an option.  A lot of Temple students live in the Center City of Philly, a nice area.  But that means they have to commute to get to classes.

At UML, there was more of an integrated social environment.  The 1L/orientation groups are 25 students at UML, while they are 60 at Temple.  The school at UML was a destination for students to gather for studying and fun, even now.  The only students that I saw at Temple were taking a class in preparation for the bar exam.  At UML, there were a number of students studying together or socializing off and on during my short visit.  UML had a large number of student lounges, an outdoor patio area, an indoor cafe, open student mail slots, etc.  Temple did have a few lounge areas, but I saw none of the other student/social-friendly features.  At UML, I am sure there is much more student-to-student interaction -- academically and socially.

If you care only about the academic experience, the schools are probably not that much different -- each having its own strengths.  Since I'm looking for a more complete educational experience, UML is now clearly my choice.

Stan