Law School Discussion

Horror Stories/Let's scare the new 1L's

cui bono?

• blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
Re: Horror Stories/Let's scare the new 1L's
« Reply #250 on: June 27, 2007, 02:44:14 PM »
Random question but do we have any JD/MBAers in the bunch?

e-redwood

• " Just Do You"
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #251 on: June 27, 2007, 11:48:06 PM »
Well luckily I will be in the part time division but I won't be actually working at all.....soIi guess that's a plus for me!  I've been out of school for 8 years so I thought it would be best to ease back in and take it slow.  I'm sure most of the people in my section will be working full time jobs so I'll just keep the fact that I'm not working at all to myself maybe? My school only allowed me in the program b/c I've been out of school for so long! Hopefully, I'll use the extra time to study and get back into the groove of school!!!

Thanks a bunch!  Sands and the rest of you taking the bar, good luck and I know you all will do well!  Like they say....a "D" is all you need....lol!

Good Luck and study hard!

« Reply #252 on: June 28, 2007, 05:44:45 AM »
Well luckily I will be in the part time division but I won't be actually working at all.....soIi guess that's a plus for me!  I've been out of school for 8 years so I thought it would be best to ease back in and take it slow.  I'm sure most of the people in my section will be working full time jobs so I'll just keep the fact that I'm not working at all to myself maybe? My school only allowed me in the program b/c I've been out of school for so long! Hopefully, I'll use the extra time to study and get back into the groove of school!!!

Thanks a bunch!  Sands and the rest of you taking the bar, good luck and I know you all will do well!  Like they say....a "D" is all you need....lol!

No fair! Isn't that like cheating???  Lol..smart move.  I considered the PT program myself but couldnt do the 4/5 year deal...

justGem

• Let them eat cake!
    • View Profile
    • when i need a laugh
« Reply #253 on: June 28, 2007, 02:18:05 PM »

No fair! Isn't that like cheating???  Lol..smart move.  I considered the PT program myself but couldnt do the 4/5 year deal...

I wouldn't consider it cheating but it seems to be a divisive bone of contention among the part-timers I've talked to that also work full-time.  I'll be working full-time and could care less if my classmates are coming from their beds or from work when they arrive to class.  The issue most often raised is with the time allotted for writing assignments....the working pt'ers feel as though the non-workers have waaaay more time to complete assignments....which is true but hey.

lalalagirl007

• fierceness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: December 15, 2007, 01:37:55 AM »
From stories friends have told me, I'll second what Sands and cui bono say.

My experience with study groups is that you can study together, help each other out, but don't do the work for other people. Far too often I've been in the situation where I was one of the few who had taken a great set of class notes, and then at the exam study sessions everyone wanted to pal up and "share notes," when they had maybe a page or two.

I suppose it primarily depends on how well you get along with your friends, if you jibe as far as the effort you each bring.

I think most of my real law school friends will be attending other schools anyhow :D

Here Here to the bolded & also to being friends w/ folks from other schools.  (which reminds me...a very good look to attend the Regional and National BLSA Conventions)

Cui,
My dad once said, "You can't be great and be liked by everybody. Figure out which one you want to be." I have found this to be very true. Shack those haters off, girl.

Your dad is right.  I've shaken them off and honestly, their behavior just does wonders for my ego.  LOL.  If I wasn't doing something right they wouldnt be trying to "steal my shine"  as my friend put it.   LOL-  Katt Williams said..."u should be greatful, you need haters...let the mf's do they goddam job...ladies, if you got 14 haters, you need to figure out how the f- to get to 16 before the summer gets here!"   Words to live by.   

Unfortunately my main "life friend", as Sands put it got kicked out  :'( due to low grades. I took it harder than she did! Got her all the info that she needed.  But she kinda lost the will to succeed and didn't want to make a big stink out of it.  We'll still be cool of course but it sucks that she isn't gonna be here.  I think it's better not to have too much emotionally invested and be "cool" with everybody.  That's my strategy now.  For me it wasn't that those 3 "ladies" were hating like that but the fact that it was those particular 3 ladies:  (1) they were black.  We should have been sticking together.  I thought that concept was universal  ??? (2)    I helped them out in major ways.  So I moreso felt betrayed.  LOL  @ Avatar's bus thing-  but very true.  It's very hard for me to trust ppl so once I do and then you do something to betray that then it's even harder to get that back.   Those 3 ppl are now buzzing around me trying to get back in my good graces.  Nah, homie, I'm good.   ;)  Not only that but they fail to realize that the black legal community is small and we will be running into each other down the road.  Would I ever recommend them to any potential client?  Hell no.  Would ppl recommend me? Probably yes.  And the thing is you never know who's watching you.  My mentor-  the guy that I approached that night-   has seen how they are and has said "would not look upon their resume favorably".  Some of our alum made the same statement about the same ppl.   You just finished your first year...how the heck do you have a bad professional reputation already?!  Must take talent to pull that off!  :D  LOL.     

But anyway, I just want you guys to be better prepared than I was. Need anything lemme know.  :)

That's awesome you gained a mentor. Just curious: What you talk about that impressed him so much?

cui bono?

• blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: December 15, 2007, 08:55:28 AM »
That's awesome you gained a mentor. Just curious: What you talk about that impressed him so much?

Well here's the thing I noticed:  The average 1L talks about how hard it is being a 1L.  I mean goes on and on and on.  A boo hoo story about how much work there is, how little sleep the 1L is getting, how it took some getting used to,blah blah blah. The attorney is gonna be put off by that. The attorney was once a 1L and has been there DONE THAT.  So what I did was first I got into what he was doing-  what type of attorney he was, why he chose that. Made it all about him.  I also gave him some kudos on a presentation well done that I saw. He was impressed that I saw it.  He was impressed that I remembered him and direct quotes of what he said (thing is always get ppl's business cards and write something on the back  that will jog ur memory about 'em, send a followup- "it was nice meeting you at that reception on saturday") I sized him up as soon as I saw him-  he'd be the ego maniac type.  Then...I just talked.  That's it.  I got into a regular conversation about...well, nothing. We talked about basketball, football, college football and how my beloved 'canes were losing.  We talked about my being from NY and how FL was kinda different.  Those hater girls were still standing there...didn't know what hit them.  There's him and me just vibing.  They get some "uh huhs" in but that's about it.  One of 'em tried to interrupt me and turn the convo back to "the woes of 1L like part deux" and he said "I'm sorry [cui bono] I didn't catch that what were u saying."   :D :D :D :D :D :D  Basically when u are shopping for mentors and also when u are networking for a job, no one wants to talk to/work with a stick in the mud.  You can get straight A's in law school but still not get a job if the partners do not feel that you could relate to the clients/bring more clients in.  And if u think about it, that kinda makes a lot of sense.  Put urself in their position.  Would u really want to hire some know-it-all got straight A's but no social skills that might put off some clients and coworkers OR a B/C student with excellent personal relations that both clients and coworkers can relate to on a personal level?

The thing that most won (he told me later) him over was the fact that I walked up to him, unafraid, made eye contact ON THE WAY OVER TO HIM in addition to the eye contact we made while we were speaking.  He liked the fact that I was bold, especially since I was black & female.  He said he didn't really see too much of that and that spawned another whole convo the next time we spoke. He liked the fact that I wouldn't always just go along with everything he said.  "I can see how you might think that BUT..."  Another thing he said was that he liked that I wasn't "showy".  I dominated the conversation (as oppossed to the other ladies there)   but wasn't trying to dominate the conversation, ya know? 

OH the other important thing.  Don't be talking for 3 hours!  Leave 'em wanting more.  The point at which I knew dude was impressed with me is when he called my name at the end of the reception from far away.  He wanted to talk some more-  he didn't feel obligated.  He called me out BY NAME loudly in front of everyone.  The other ladies were there and he said something to the effect "oh yeah, your name?"   I tell u this not to say "look how great I am" but to give you a valuable comparison.  1L boo hoo story= gets u nowhere; interesting convos about a whole bunch of nothing = mentor/mentee relatioship that'll last   

So now I have a few mentors.  Mostly black men.  Mostly in litigation. 

« Reply #256 on: December 15, 2007, 09:12:08 AM »
keep in mind that same process probably won't work with a blk female attorney... :-\ just keeping it real for the people...

cui bono?

• blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: December 15, 2007, 09:38:00 AM »
keep in mind that same process probably won't work with a blk female attorney... :-\ just keeping it real for the people...

I'd have to agree w/ u... for the most part it doesn't really work with black female attorneys as most of them kinda see through it.  For them, I'd say compliment but don't over compliment.  Like I have one mentor down here that I complimented because she was so passionate in her "speech" and we built it from there.   But the whiny-woe-is-me-as-a-poor-lowly-1L thing is even more true for black female attorneys-  no sympathy.  I can say that b/c I was a 1L and even I didn't wanna hear it.  My face always gave it away "(wo)Man up, homie". 

lalalagirl007

• fierceness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: December 15, 2007, 10:39:17 AM »

Well here's the thing I noticed:  The average 1L talks about how hard it is being a 1L.  I mean goes on and on and on.  A boo hoo story about how much work there is, how little sleep the 1L is getting, how it took some getting used to,blah blah blah. The attorney is gonna be put off by that. The attorney was once a 1L and has been there DONE THAT.  So what I did was first I got into what he was doing-  what type of attorney he was, why he chose that. Made it all about him.  I also gave him some kudos on a presentation well done that I saw. He was impressed that I saw it.  He was impressed that I remembered him and direct quotes of what he said (thing is always get ppl's business cards and write something on the back  that will jog ur memory about 'em, send a followup- "it was nice meeting you at that reception on saturday") I sized him up as soon as I saw him-  he'd be the ego maniac type.  Then...I just talked.  That's it.  I got into a regular conversation about...well, nothing. We talked about basketball, football, college football and how my beloved 'canes were losing.  We talked about my being from NY and how FL was kinda different.  Those hater girls were still standing there...didn't know what hit them.  There's him and me just vibing.  They get some "uh huhs" in but that's about it.  One of 'em tried to interrupt me and turn the convo back to "the woes of 1L like part deux" and he said "I'm sorry [cui bono] I didn't catch that what were u saying."   :D :D :D :D :D :D  Basically when u are shopping for mentors and also when u are networking for a job, no one wants to talk to/work with a stick in the mud.  You can get straight A's in law school but still not get a job if the partners do not feel that you could relate to the clients/bring more clients in.  And if u think about it, that kinda makes a lot of sense.  Put urself in their position.  Would u really want to hire some know-it-all got straight A's but no social skills that might put off some clients and coworkers OR a B/C student with excellent personal relations that both clients and coworkers can relate to on a personal level?

The thing that most won (he told me later) him over was the fact that I walked up to him, unafraid, made eye contact ON THE WAY OVER TO HIM in addition to the eye contact we made while we were speaking.  He liked the fact that I was bold, especially since I was black & female.  He said he didn't really see too much of that and that spawned another whole convo the next time we spoke. He liked the fact that I wouldn't always just go along with everything he said.  "I can see how you might think that BUT..."  Another thing he said was that he liked that I wasn't "showy".  I dominated the conversation (as oppossed to the other ladies there)   but wasn't trying to dominate the conversation, ya know? 

OH the other important thing.  Don't be talking for 3 hours!  Leave 'em wanting more.  The point at which I knew dude was impressed with me is when he called my name at the end of the reception from far away.  He wanted to talk some more-  he didn't feel obligated.  He called me out BY NAME loudly in front of everyone.  The other ladies were there and he said something to the effect "oh yeah, your name?"   I tell u this not to say "look how great I am" but to give you a valuable comparison.  1L boo hoo story= gets u nowhere; interesting convos about a whole bunch of nothing = mentor/mentee relatioship that'll last   

So now I have a few mentors.  Mostly black men.  Mostly in litigation. 

Hahahahaha! BOOOO to the hater girls! Thank you so much for this! ::takes notes::

cui bono?

• blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: December 15, 2007, 02:07:11 PM »
Hahahahaha! BOOOO to the hater girls! Thank you so much for this! ::takes notes::

LOL, boo is right! But ppl always get theirs.  No problem, the other thing I forgot to tell you is my mentor actually gave presentations about networking in the legal environment.