Re: Horror Stories/Let's scare the new 1L's
« Reply #80 on: June 06, 2007, 06:27:16 PM »
There are male cats.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 06, 2007, 08:00:12 PM »
"In my first year of law school, everybody loved everybody else. We were studying the law, and the law was a noble thing. By my third year, you were lucky if you weren't murdered in your sleep. People stole exams, hid research from the library and lied to the professors. Such is the nature of the profession."

- John Grisham, "The Rainmaker" (1997)

Sage words...sage words.   LOL  :P

Wow, and i thought after the first year of Law School, things eased up a nit

It "eases up" so to speak academically, but it picks up in other areas.  Finding a job for one. Finding a job is a full time job during 2L.  And then by around 3L I found that John Grisham's Rainmaker movie had it right on point.  Folks who you came in with during 1L and were all chummy chummy with now couldn't care if you got hit by a bus.  Some even want to hit you with a bus.  A lot of it has to do with where people end up when law school is said and done.  Somebody who was shooting for biglaw or that federal clerkship all along and didn't make the grade is mad at you for doing so, etc.  Yes, it is catty.

Its not all bad though. I have made life friends in law school. Real folks who have gone through the trenches with you who you know will have your back.  Folks who have seen you at your lowest.  LOL  Ahhh...good times. ;D

t...

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 06, 2007, 09:48:23 PM »
From stories friends have told me, I'll second what Sands and cui bono say.

My experience with study groups is that you can study together, help each other out, but don't do the work for other people. Far too often I've been in the situation where I was one of the few who had taken a great set of class notes, and then at the exam study sessions everyone wanted to pal up and "share notes," when they had maybe a page or two.

I suppose it primarily depends on how well you get along with your friends, if you jibe as far as the effort you each bring.

I think most of my real law school friends will be attending other schools anyhow :D

Funia

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #83 on: June 06, 2007, 10:22:53 PM »
Cui,
My dad once said, "You can't be great and be liked by everybody. Figure out which one you want to be." I have found this to be very true. Shack those haters off, girl.

cui bono?

• blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 07, 2007, 06:16:55 AM »

My experience with study groups is that you can study together, help each other out, but don't do the work for other people. Far too often I've been in the situation where I was one of the few who had taken a great set of class notes, and then at the exam study sessions everyone wanted to pal up and "share notes," when they had maybe a page or two.

I suppose it primarily depends on how well you get along with your friends, if you jibe as far as the effort you each bring.

I think most of my real law school friends will be attending other schools anyhow :D

Here Here to the bolded & also to being friends w/ folks from other schools.  (which reminds me...a very good look to attend the Regional and National BLSA Conventions)

Cui,
My dad once said, "You can't be great and be liked by everybody. Figure out which one you want to be." I have found this to be very true. Shack those haters off, girl.

Your dad is right.  I've shaken them off and honestly, their behavior just does wonders for my ego.  LOL.  If I wasn't doing something right they wouldnt be trying to "steal my shine"  as my friend put it.   LOL-  Katt Williams said..."u should be greatful, you need haters...let the mf's do they goddam job...ladies, if you got 14 haters, you need to figure out how the f- to get to 16 before the summer gets here!"   Words to live by.   

Unfortunately my main "life friend", as Sands put it got kicked out  :'( due to low grades. I took it harder than she did! Got her all the info that she needed.  But she kinda lost the will to succeed and didn't want to make a big stink out of it.  We'll still be cool of course but it sucks that she isn't gonna be here.  I think it's better not to have too much emotionally invested and be "cool" with everybody.  That's my strategy now.  For me it wasn't that those 3 "ladies" were hating like that but the fact that it was those particular 3 ladies:  (1) they were black.  We should have been sticking together.  I thought that concept was universal  ??? (2)    I helped them out in major ways.  So I moreso felt betrayed.  LOL  @ Avatar's bus thing-  but very true.  It's very hard for me to trust ppl so once I do and then you do something to betray that then it's even harder to get that back.   Those 3 ppl are now buzzing around me trying to get back in my good graces.  Nah, homie, I'm good.   ;)  Not only that but they fail to realize that the black legal community is small and we will be running into each other down the road.  Would I ever recommend them to any potential client?  Hell no.  Would ppl recommend me? Probably yes.  And the thing is you never know who's watching you.  My mentor-  the guy that I approached that night-   has seen how they are and has said "would not look upon their resume favorably".  Some of our alum made the same statement about the same ppl.   You just finished your first year...how the heck do you have a bad professional reputation already?!  Must take talent to pull that off!  :D  LOL.     

But anyway, I just want you guys to be better prepared than I was. Need anything lemme know.  :)

« Reply #85 on: June 08, 2007, 11:55:37 PM »
Thanks everybody for the insite about some of situations I may encounter. I'm new to this forum and I feel like I can get an intelligent conversation and a greater understand about law school. Cui, you situation remind me of my present UG.

cui bono?

• blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 09, 2007, 03:48:41 PM »
Thanks everybody for the insite about some of situations I may encounter. I'm new to this forum and I feel like I can get an intelligent conversation and a greater understand about law school. Cui, you situation remind me of my present UG.

Not a prob.  And yeah sometimes LS could be like UG but more like High school.  UG was the most "grown up" of the 3!!! LOL.  But the good thing is I didn't take any of this too personally because some of the members of the BLSD warned me about it last summer just like I'm trying to do  for you guys this summer.  So I felt like I was ahead of the game.  Even was able to somewhat predict the shadyness

Funia

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #87 on: June 09, 2007, 04:29:56 PM »

I'm weary about study groups. My sister's roommate, a psychotic brainiac, admitted to telling people in her study group the wrong answers so she could outshine them at test time. Wierdo.

cui bono?

• blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 10, 2007, 05:06:03 PM »
Eh don't let us scare you too much on this thread.  ;) Study groups?  I was actually in a few study groups my first semester.  LOL-  yes I said a few...@ the same time.  I like studying alone better.  No real horror stories about my experience.  I just like to go all day-  like I can sit and study for 8 hours straight in one sitting.  Most ppl can't do that nor do they want to! My main study group was just 3 of us.  We'd go to their apt right after class but they'd break longer than they studied.  They'd get caught up watching Madea and chain smoking (something that seems to be unavoidable in LS...they either smoke or drink heavily oftentimes both) then 4 hours later they'd want to study.  By that time I was tired!  The 3 of us would meet with a larger group-  that's too much and too many ppl. 

The thing is in study group...make sure ppl know to do the work PRIOR to the group session, you can't really read the cases together.  But it's cool if ppl are all pulling their resources together.  And not to sound shady but I don't want you guys to give up all your goodies. Give some, give what you have already mastered.  Remember it's give and take soooooo, you should not be the only person giving (like moi) and you should not be the person always receiving.  I was that one 1L helping all the other black 1Ls out = stupid.  The reality = you don't know what the other person is "sitting on" as I like to call it.  There's a curve.  I just had someone ask me for an Evidence and a crim pro outline since they know I'm taking those 2 courses.  Ordinarily, I have no problem sharing.  But this person is in my class and come to find out, has several ppl's  outlines and supplements and just wants to see what I have cause they perceive me as a threat (interesting & unnecessary).  This person told me that they had zippo.   In the end it makes no difference (see infra)  but this person lied, so I'm not helping them out of principle!  :D

I've said this elsewhere so forgive me for sounding like a broken record but please read Planet Law School II  by Atticus Falcon.   It's not mandatory but another thing if you guys are getting "itchy" about law school:  LEEWS (Legal Essay Exam Writing System) by Wentworth Miller- have to order online.  Don't have to get the audio program but can just get the workbook for $30.               

The other thing is and I know I'm suppossed to be scaring you on this thread but let me alleviate some of the fear just for the moment  ;)-  law school is not as competitive as ppl make it out to be.  It really isn't.  "Hiding the ball"  is really unnecessary.  The only thing that counts is the exam so every thing that comes before that is just fluff.  Don't be scared of the curve because everything falls in line.  If you totally goof off and don't read or do anything, you'll get a not-so-nice grade (for the most part there are some extreme circumstances both ways).  If you try and you learn how to "think like a lawyer" and know how to write a law school exam, you may not always get the A but can get that C or B with reasonable effort.  Ripping pages out of the library, or otherwise acting shady is not going to help you and just wastes a whole lotta time that you could be studying.

« Reply #89 on: June 10, 2007, 05:30:10 PM »
Wow. Thanks for the advice Cui Bono. I will most def be looking for those books this summer.

Glad to see you killed em with that kindness. Haters i call em. You know you're doing something right if they're trying to bring you down.