Law School Discussion

Horror Stories/Let's scare the new 1L's

pikey

• Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
Re: Horror Stories/Let's scare the new 1L's
« Reply #270 on: December 18, 2007, 07:42:13 PM »
There was a brother from Harvard Law who taught torts at my school - he made this one chick cry right there in the middle of class for not knowing her stuff.  He was def known to be a Kingsfield.  He actually had mad respect by a lot of students and faculty for being such a hard ass.  He was kool in my book - I can respect a teacher that challenges their students.  The lecturers always ended up being my worst grades in law school.

Cry?!? Yikes! Gotta be strong for the socratic! lol
::tells self never to cry in law school::

It definitely depends on your class and your professor.  None of my classes this semester were hard-core socratic.  The class that was most socratic was also the one where the prof had the powerpoint.  Another prof would one person questions but also allowed other people to answer and didn't make a big deal out of it if you didn't know.  The third prof told us to just yell out our answers/questions.

cui bono?

• blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: December 19, 2007, 06:24:50 AM »
There was a brother from Harvard Law who taught torts at my school - he made this one chick cry right there in the middle of class for not knowing her stuff.  He was def known to be a Kingsfield.  He actually had mad respect by a lot of students and faculty for being such a hard ass.  He was kool in my book - I can respect a teacher that challenges their students.  The lecturers always ended up being my worst grades in law school.

LOL I def got it handed to me when I first started and wasn't reading closely enough.  I didn't remember where exactly in the house that dude gave his maid access to as he was dying. (which is important in determining whether it was a public area vs. private area of the house, fyi)  But I did remember that there were accusations of hanky panky going on btw them by the guy's kids but danced around the issue.  "well u know...when it's an older man, younger woman in a house..u know, "together"...in those days...umm,... give rise to ...u know..."suspicions" and...uhhh...u know...a Anna Nicole Smith-esque...uhh... situation"   :D
So I got reamed a new one but in a funny way. But crying?!  Nah, man.  Not that serious.     

shaz

• University of Toledo Class of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: December 19, 2007, 08:13:27 AM »
My Horror Story:

I finally complete my last paper of the semester (two research and two take-homes) and submit it at 5:20 (20 minutes after the 5:00 deadline). I run to a bar and get hammered. Spend the rest of the weekend veging out, cleaning my apt, and packing for my train ride home.

Sunday I head to the train station for my 11:59 pm departure from Toledo, ohio to Philly. When I get there they tell me the train will be 4 hours late because of weather. I don't get home until monday evening. When I walk in the door, the only thing I want to do is sleep.

Tuesday afternoon I decide to check my email:

Mr. Shaz,

Unfortunately I was unable to open your attachmed file. Could you please bring me a hard copy?

OMG! I'm in Philly!

(It worked out though. I explained my situation and re-emailed the file. I'm so glad I decided to bring my computer home.  ...but for a minute there...)

cui bono?

• blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: December 19, 2007, 08:15:38 AM »
Yikes!

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: December 19, 2007, 12:27:33 PM »

Just come prepared and you're straight.

cui bono?

• blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: December 19, 2007, 12:54:53 PM »
The thing is the person's a professor...u are just/u will be just a 1L, s/he knows more than you.  And eventually s/he may ask you something that you don't know/don't realize immediately.  Because of that reason, I dropped the nervousness.  What's the point in being nervous?  It's gonna happen.   

TruOne

• I'm still standing. . .I'm still here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: December 20, 2007, 07:12:47 PM »
DON'T LET THESE PROFESSORS PUNK YOU!

That's what they want to do. They want to get you all flustered so that you start doubting yourself and answer you just gave and create the whole "hazing" experience of 1L year.

You don't know *&^%

Your grade ain't gonna be better just b/c you answer the question correctly in class.

This Professor has been teaching the same subject and the same topic for 10-15 maybe 20 years.

Therefore, there really ain't nuthin' you can do. Just suck it up and take the L.

When I did get called on, I gave the best, honest answer I could think of. It's either right or wrong, if I'm wrong, then I take the charge and keep it movin'.

You ain't my momma, you ain't my daddy, so you ain't gonna whup my ass if I get the wrong answer. You can either re-phrase your question so I can answer it, or call on someone else.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: December 20, 2007, 07:43:08 PM »
One sister in my class never spoke, and when she got called on she never appeared to be prepared to say anything in class and she usually tried to pass at all costs.  She later went on to make Law Review with me at the end of our 1L, graduated with high honors and is now working for the #1 firm in Jersey.

One guy in my class always had something to say whether he was called on or not (you know the type, loud as a motor bike...), and when he spoke he would monologue about his opinions on life (most of them irrelevant to class discussion) using the most verbose vocabulary possible to clearly demonstrate his obvious intellectual superiority over the rest of us.  He dropped out of law school after the first semester grades came back.

Moral of the story - when it comes to class participation don't always believe the hype.

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #278 on: December 20, 2007, 07:58:34 PM »
Moral of the story - when it comes to class participation don't always believe the hype.

Amen.  And besides, I'd rather hear what the prof I'm paying thousands of dollars has to say rather than one of my classmates who knows just as little as I do.  As such, I don't talk that much in class myself.  Intelligent comments are always good, but I really don't want to hear your theory about X that you thought of while reading last night.  Do a research paper and get back to me.

cui bono?

• blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: December 21, 2007, 07:35:24 AM »

Amen.  And besides, I'd rather hear what the prof I'm paying thousands of dollars has to say rather than one of my classmates who knows just as little as I do.  As such, I don't talk that much in class myself.  Intelligent comments are always good, but I really don't want to hear your theory about X that you thought of while reading last night.  Do a research paper and get back to me.

speak on it!

If the person appears to be a know-it-all, s/he's usually a know-nothing.  I had one person my first year who always rose his hand to tell the whole class that he made up his own hypo and wanted to know what the class thought about HIS hypo.  I'd always LOL @ his Surfer dude approach:  "so... like, dude (meaning the professor), what if like, it was like, 80 widgets instead of...like...50 or whatever you just said... and it was like 2 weeks later instead of like..dude...I forgot what I was gonna...like...say...okay, okay...instead of like 1 week later...like, what result then?"   :D  Pure comedy.

In my Evidence class (2L class so mind u this gunner-phenomenon does not stop as a 1L), one lady kept on quite loudly voicing her opinion on the FREs.  Aint no body cared what she thought about hearsay and all of us at one point rolled our eyes and sucked our teeth at her (not very professional, I'll admit but damn she was annoying).  The professor was a lecturer and all of a sudden you hear a loud booming Island voice from the back bitchin about some rule like the professor's the one who wrote it.  She ended up getting a C in the class.