Law School Discussion

Horror Stories/Let's scare the new 1L's

Jolie Was Here

• 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
Re: Horror Stories/Let's scare the new 1L's
« Reply #230 on: June 20, 2007, 09:45:07 AM »
Chica!!  How are you, dahling?  When do you head to NY?

/hijack

« Reply #231 on: June 20, 2007, 10:49:27 AM »
I guess it would be asking too much for y'all to PM that.  :D

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: June 20, 2007, 11:41:08 AM »
The ultimate kick in the pants is for ours, it was one grade for the whole year that was applied to both semesters, so when employers are looking at your transcript it looks like you made no improvement whatsoever from the fall LRW to the spring LRW.  Real nice eh?

« Reply #233 on: June 20, 2007, 12:20:33 PM »
sands, why did this just happen to me? i got my grades and my worst grade in law school--this semester in a class i studied for consistently. i read for every class. answered questions in class, stayed after class, did practice tests, went through it with a study group and read unassigned cases. i am so upset. i must have made a big mistake on the exam. i swear i dreamt about the professor last night.  :'(

First horror story started before I even go into law school...I was accepted into law school and found out after I had quit my job that I could not get approved for private loans even with several different co-signers.  So in other words, I got into law school but couldn't afford to go.   >:(

Next horror story came at the end of the first semester of 1L when I got my first grade back in Crim Law, which was my strongest class based on my ability to effectively respond with the correct answer to my professor's barrage of socratic hazing on a daily basis, my familiarity with the MPC/Common Law distinctions, as well as the fact that I took a couple of practice exams to my professor that he reviewed and said were at the A level.  Did the same performance on the real exam, left it all out there on the field, and somehow ended up with a B- in the class!!!  ???  Still to this day...that is one of the biggest shockers of my 3 years of law school.  Def one of those "WTF?" moments.
Is it possible to speak to your prof. about the exam and ask what happened? I had a few that I just messed up. Most professors will tell you, esp. if you interacted in class, that they're aware you know the material. There was just something on the exam.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: June 20, 2007, 12:41:07 PM »
sands, why did this just happen to me? i got my grades and my worst grade in law school--this semester in a class i studied for consistently. i read for every class. answered questions in class, stayed after class, did practice tests, went through it with a study group and read unassigned cases. i am so upset. i must have made a big mistake on the exam. i swear i dreamt about the professor last night.  :'(

First horror story started before I even go into law school...I was accepted into law school and found out after I had quit my job that I could not get approved for private loans even with several different co-signers.  So in other words, I got into law school but couldn't afford to go.   >:(

Next horror story came at the end of the first semester of 1L when I got my first grade back in Crim Law, which was my strongest class based on my ability to effectively respond with the correct answer to my professor's barrage of socratic hazing on a daily basis, my familiarity with the MPC/Common Law distinctions, as well as the fact that I took a couple of practice exams to my professor that he reviewed and said were at the A level.  Did the same performance on the real exam, left it all out there on the field, and somehow ended up with a B- in the class!!!  ???  Still to this day...that is one of the biggest shockers of my 3 years of law school.  Def one of those "WTF?" moments.

Sorry to hear, homie. It be's like that sometimes.  Shrug it off and keep it moving.  That's become my motto throughout law school.

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #235 on: June 20, 2007, 12:46:23 PM »
Shrug it off and keep it moving.  That's become my motto throughout law school.

Indeed.  Good motto for life, I say.

iman

• View Profile
« Reply #236 on: June 20, 2007, 01:13:24 PM »
i'll talk to her when i get back to school. doesn't seem to make sense to email her now. its just hard to shrug it off when you know that you don't see yourself at a firm forever. for now, i'm just feeling pretty bad about myself. i know there is some luck involved, but at the same time, getting below a b has to mean that there was some kind of drastic mistake involved. but whatever. thanks for the advice...

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: June 21, 2007, 09:23:16 AM »

No matter what, no matter where you go to school, no matter how hard you try there is a certain amount of random luck on law school exams you just canít account for I think. That is what happens when you have a completely subjective exam graded by another human being who has good days and bad days just like us.

Most of the time it does not affect us, we get about what we think we deserve. Sometimes however, we bust our asses on an exam only to get  screwed. And when that happens, it sucks (like my B in crim law after I humped my butt on that class).

Yet, other times it gives you a gift in a grade you are absolutely stunned that you got (like my A this semester in a class I never paid attention to or even read the whole damn book for). Like it or not, there is a luck factor in law exams that we canít account for no matter how hard we work, sometimes youíre the lucky one, sometimes your not. All we can do is be happy when it favors us and female dog when it kills us.

TITCR!!!

No doubt.  Straight up crap shoot damn near.  We had a joke during 1L on how our Crim Law prof graded our exams that, come to think of it, probably explains a lot.  They say he was the type of professor to throw the exams down the steps and whichever ones land at the top are the A's, the middle of the steps gets B's and the bottom are the C's.  After we got our grades back in that class that seemed to be fairly accurate.

TruOne

• I'm still standing. . .I'm still here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: June 25, 2007, 09:56:33 AM »

TITCR!!!

No doubt.  Straight up crap shoot damn near.  We had a joke during 1L on how our Crim Law prof graded our exams that, come to think of it, probably explains a lot.  They say he was the type of professor to throw the exams down the steps and whichever ones land at the top are the A's, the middle of the steps gets B's and the bottom are the C's.  After we got our grades back in that class that seemed to be fairly accurate.
[/quote]

Theory hell! I'm damn-near convinced that is how it is done at all schools. There is no way in God Green's Earth I could go from being as low as I was 1st semester in Propert/CivPro/K's to getting the final grades I had at the end of the semester. No way, no how. It just can't be stastically possible.

What makes it so funny is that I studied LESS 2nd semester than I did 1st semester.

« Reply #239 on: June 25, 2007, 02:54:13 PM »

TITCR!!!

Theory hell! I'm damn-near convinced that is how it is done at all schools. There is no way in God Green's Earth I could go from being as low as I was 1st semester in Propert/CivPro/K's to getting the final grades I had at the end of the semester. No way, no how. It just can't be stastically possible.

What makes it so funny is that I studied LESS 2nd semester than I did 1st semester.

It totallly seems to work that way, less I study, better I do. Maybe it has to do with not stressing out as much and just focusing on what is really important?
[/quote]

Probably. I know my performance seems to be inversely proportional because I get more panicky the more I study. Plus attending those study sessions the profs have seems to make things even worse.