Law School Discussion

Horror Stories/Let's scare the new 1L's

DDBY

• View Profile
Re: Horror Stories/Let's scare the new 1L's
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2007, 09:15:08 PM »
  There is no sex in the champagne room.
Better believe it.  An don't run out of money neither... oh you talkin bout somethin else.

LBJFan

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2007, 12:47:34 AM »
I have a few horror stories... but they have more to do with me being an idiot and less to do with things inherently horrifying about law school...

Lets see...I wouldnt call myself computer savvy when I started law school and the whole concept of backing things up was foreign to me. Well, my computer crashed the day before my first final...Con law. Lost all my outlines, notes, checklists etc. I debated simply begging classmates for notes and handwriting my exam but nooooooooo. I was hell-bent on getting that computer up and running again.

Long story short...I spent all day trying to get the friggin Geek Squad to fix my ish and they couldnt. I lost valuable study time and still ended up with no notes and had to handwrite. I had to handwrite ALL my exams that semester. Needless to say...bombed that con law exam. Did ok on the rest but it was unnecessarily stressful.

So you'd think I'd learned my lesson huh? of course not

I bought a brand new computer the next spring and right before finals...brand new computer crashes. Took another set of finals without notes and with the bluebooks. I guess new computers crash too. ummmm duh.

I'd like to think I am more prepared for the bar exam though...I took like 8 finals with no notes and did ok on most of them. Thats my silver lining and I'm sticking to it.  ;D

So then...

during another semester, I was completely unaware that this one class I'd signed up for was 3 credits and not 2. I planned on dropping the class but never quite got around to it. I only attended the class like 3 times all semester, never bought the book, didnt have the slightest idea what the class was about and towards the end of the semester I went to drop it (because you can drop all the way up until the final) and low and behold...its a 3 credit class and I couldn't drop it because then I would've been part time and we're not allowed to be part time.

So...I took the final exam blind, without a textbook, without notes, without a clue. Didnt answer half the questions. Got a B-  ;) Ahhh, law school curves can be joyful sometimes.

Moral of the story...dont be an idiot  ;D

TruOne

• I'm still standing. . .I'm still here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2007, 07:36:22 AM »
Man, me and my computer got some serious beef. This sucker decided to CRASH on me in the middle of the 2nd Semester. So that meant ALL OF MY NOTES/OUTLINES/EVERYTHING was erased, as if they never existed.

Can you imagine 2 months worth of notes and stuff from 5 different classes being gone?

Fortunately I had a classmate who had Onenote and we're cool so she just let me have her notes from the first 2 months. That way I could still reference them when I was making my outline.

Moral of the Story: Become cool with someone who takes good notes in case your computer decides to kill itself.

Tony Montana

• Strength and honor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2007, 08:09:31 AM »
First horror story started before I even go into law school...I was accepted into law school and found out after I had quit my job that I could not get approved for private loans even with several different co-signers.  So in other words, I got into law school but couldn't afford to go.   >:(

Next horror story came at the end of the first semester of 1L when I got my first grade back in Crim Law, which was my strongest class based on my ability to effectively respond with the correct answer to my professor's barrage of socratic hazing on a daily basis, my familiarity with the MPC/Common Law distinctions, as well as the fact that I took a couple of practice exams to my professor that he reviewed and said were at the A level. Did the same performance on the real exam, left it all out there on the field, and somehow ended up with a B- in the class!!!  ???  Still to this day...that is one of the biggest shockers of my 3 years of law school.  Def one of those "WTF?" moments.

Man, that sucks!  Did you go over the results with your Prof.?  If so, what was his justification?

You're gonna love this one... 

So immediately after the exam grades came out, my Crim Law professor takes a sabbatical in EUROPE for the rest of the calender year.  I had to wait until the second semester of my 2L year to finally figure out just what in the hell was the meaning of this alleged B-.

So he pulls out the model answer, and pulls out my exam...first let me back up...he pulls out my exam after I tell him my exam number and looks at the grade and gived the "WTF?" face I swear to God, says to me, "I don't quite understand it, you were one of my top students in that class...I could always call on you for the answer....blah blah blah" more words to that effect.  "Well Professor, that's why I'm here."

So fast forward, he pulls out the model answer and we go through each problem.  I should preface by saying that this professor was an unusual one in that he had page limits for each answer, and asked pointed questions, such as "what are the chances that the defendant would be convicted of felony-murder?" and stuff like that, so you either knew it or you didn't.  As it turns out, I knew it.  As we went down the model answer and my answer I had all the correct arguments point for point.  The two exams were almost identical in content.  Unfortunately for me, the only difference was the one that mattered for this professor and this professor only.  Turns out there were certain particular cases that he was looking for us to cite to after each proposition on our exam.  So I would say something like "The issue is ABC.  ABC is satisfied when elements (1) (2) and (3) are met.  People v. Smith."  Whereas the model answer would say "The issue is ABC.  ABC is satisfied when elements (1) (2) and (3) are met.  People v. Jones."  Which turned out to be something ridiculous like 18 points on a 60 point question for citing to the particular the case he wanted to hear.  Not just the right case, but the particular case.  The right case wasn't good enough.

I even tried to argue that the cases that I had cited to still stood for the same propositions that he was looking for, but he said that, yes even though that was true, he had been teaching this course for X years and for X years he discussed People v. Jones in his class or something along those lines.  It was one of the most pointless meetings with a professor I've ever had.

Oh and another thing, you remember the days when you could go into a professor's or a TA's office in undergrad and argue you way into changing a grade?  Those days are gone.  Your grade is what it is.  There is no sex in the champagne room.  Outside of a gross mathematical grading error on a scantron sheet or something, law school grades are set in stone.

Great! Now I am REALLY looking forward to this LS exam thing >:(

Tony Montana

• Strength and honor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2007, 08:15:48 AM »
Man, me and my computer got some serious beef. This sucker decided to CRASH on me in the middle of the 2nd Semester. So that meant ALL OF MY NOTES/OUTLINES/EVERYTHING was erased, as if they never existed.

Can you imagine 2 months worth of notes and stuff from 5 different classes being gone?

Fortunately I had a classmate who had Onenote and we're cool so she just let me have her notes from the first 2 months. That way I could still reference them when I was making my outline.

Moral of the Story: Become cool with someone who takes good notes in case your computer decides to kill itself.

...Or, back up your info in a external/flash drive  ;)

DDBY

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2007, 09:09:37 AM »

...Or, back up your info in a external/flash drive  ;)
Yea, after this story I plan to back everything up on a regular basis.  If my computer crashes I will only loose a few days.  I'm writing it into my calander.

« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2007, 03:50:53 PM »
This posting is like one of those things where you cant stand to watch but cant look away....

Not a law school story...

Last year of grad school and end of finals week.  Went to the testing center, requested the test number.  Took the test, felt like Avatar on that Crim Law exam.  One week later, all finals graded and in student mailboxes.  Go to my mailbox, got an A on the final.  Did my happy dance, only for 30 seconds.  Looked at the notes from the professor, almost died on the spot.  The note said...

"This is excellent work and by far one of the best exams I have graded in my tenure. Unfortunately, because you are not a student assigned to my class, your grade of "A" cannot be applied to your academic transcript."

Long story short, I took the wrong exam.  Same subject matter, different professors.  Three hours of my life gone to waste...

Denny Crane

• Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2007, 05:46:59 PM »
This posting is like one of those things where you cant stand to watch but cant look away....

Last year of grad school and end of finals week.  Went to the testing center, requested the test number.  Took the test, felt like Avatar on that Crim Law exam.  One week later, all finals graded and in student mailboxes.  Go to my mailbox, got an A on the final.  Did my happy dance, only for 30 seconds.  Looked at the notes from the professor, almost died on the spot.  The note said...

"This is excellent work and by far one of the best exams I have graded in my tenure. Unfortunately, because you are not a student assigned to my class, your grade of "A" cannot be applied to your academic transcript."

Long story short, I took the wrong exam.  Same subject matter, different professors.  Three hours of my life gone to waste...

Damn, that sux.  Did the test not have the name of the prof?

Maybe you can use your impressive performance to leverage a recommendation or reference from the prof, though admittedly it would be an unusual recommendation/reference.

cui bono?

• blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2007, 09:03:51 PM »

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :o

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2007, 09:13:37 PM »
Ouch!