Law School Discussion

Horror Stories/Let's scare the new 1L's

TruOne

• I'm still standing. . .I'm still here!
    • View Profile
Re: Horror Stories/Let's scare the new 1L's
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2007, 04:15:44 PM »
We had two freshman die of heart related conditions...
And a student from another local law school threatened to attack our school out of jealously, forcing the cancelation of classes  :o

We also had a Civ Pro final where the Prof only told the people who came to the optional review session that the multiple choice section of the exam was closed book.  Everyone else showed up thinking it was all open book.  People werent happy.

DEVIL'S ADVOCATE! Did the Professor explicitly tell ya'll that the multiple choice portion was going to be open book or did the class just assume his silence to mean "bring your notes and stuff"?

None of our 1L's died, but we lost at least two people to the struggle within the first semester.

TruOne

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2007, 04:18:59 PM »

Wow a B- thats pretty tragic  :D

I know, considering how the curve operates you would think he'd take his B- and keep on steppin'

How does the curve operate?

Essentially what the Professor does is go thru ALL of the exams and pick out the 2 MAYBE 3 A+'s and then the 2 A-'s then he'll go and pick out the corresponding C-'s.

Then he takes the remainder 60 or so exams and walks over to the top of a stairwell then he just tosses the exam up in the air. Which step the papers land on is basically what grade you get.

So since he got the B- he should consider himself lucky b/c that means he beat out dozens of his classmates for that grade.

DDBY

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2007, 04:21:11 PM »

How does the curve operate?
From what I hear much like a guillotine.  Gardez bien vos cous!

jillibean

• I'm the pretty one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2007, 04:58:34 PM »
tag

I really don't like the whole stair grading thing but I have heard it before- as a joke though so I hope there isn't really any truth to it

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2007, 05:27:06 PM »
First horror story started before I even go into law school...I was accepted into law school and found out after I had quit my job that I could not get approved for private loans even with several different co-signers.  So in other words, I got into law school but couldn't afford to go.   >:(

Next horror story came at the end of the first semester of 1L when I got my first grade back in Crim Law, which was my strongest class based on my ability to effectively respond with the correct answer to my professor's barrage of socratic hazing on a daily basis, my familiarity with the MPC/Common Law distinctions, as well as the fact that I took a couple of practice exams to my professor that he reviewed and said were at the A level. Did the same performance on the real exam, left it all out there on the field, and somehow ended up with a B- in the class!!!  ???  Still to this day...that is one of the biggest shockers of my 3 years of law school.  Def one of those "WTF?" moments.

Man, that sucks!  Did you go over the results with your Prof.?  If so, what was his justification?

You're gonna love this one... 

So immediately after the exam grades came out, my Crim Law professor takes a sabbatical in EUROPE for the rest of the calender year.  I had to wait until the second semester of my 2L year to finally figure out just what in the hell was the meaning of this alleged B-.

So he pulls out the model answer, and pulls out my exam...first let me back up...he pulls out my exam after I tell him my exam number and looks at the grade and gived the "WTF?" face I swear to God, says to me, "I don't quite understand it, you were one of my top students in that class...I could always call on you for the answer....blah blah blah" more words to that effect.  "Well Professor, that's why I'm here."

So fast forward, he pulls out the model answer and we go through each problem.  I should preface by saying that this professor was an unusual one in that he had page limits for each answer, and asked pointed questions, such as "what are the chances that the defendant would be convicted of felony-murder?" and stuff like that, so you either knew it or you didn't.  As it turns out, I knew it.  As we went down the model answer and my answer I had all the correct arguments point for point.  The two exams were almost identical in content.  Unfortunately for me, the only difference was the one that mattered for this professor and this professor only.  Turns out there were certain particular cases that he was looking for us to cite to after each proposition on our exam.  So I would say something like "The issue is ABC.  ABC is satisfied when elements (1) (2) and (3) are met.  People v. Smith."  Whereas the model answer would say "The issue is ABC.  ABC is satisfied when elements (1) (2) and (3) are met.  People v. Jones."  Which turned out to be something ridiculous like 18 points on a 60 point question for citing to the particular the case he wanted to hear.  Not just the right case, but the particular case.  The right case wasn't good enough.

I even tried to argue that the cases that I had cited to still stood for the same propositions that he was looking for, but he said that, yes even though that was true, he had been teaching this course for X years and for X years he discussed People v. Jones in his class or something along those lines.  It was one of the most pointless meetings with a professor I've ever had.

Oh and another thing, you remember the days when you could go into a professor's or a TA's office in undergrad and argue you way into changing a grade?  Those days are gone.  Your grade is what it is.  There is no sex in the champagne room.  Outside of a gross mathematical grading error on a scantron sheet or something, law school grades are set in stone.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2007, 05:28:47 PM »

I know, considering how the curve operates you would think he'd take his B- and keep on steppin'

Hey forget both of ya'll. ;D

B- when you're expecting a B-, ok kool.  B- when you're expecting an A?  Not kool.  Especially during 1L when you're vying for law review and moot court and all that jazz. 

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2007, 05:44:32 PM »

B- when you're expecting a B-, ok kool.  B- when you're expecting an A?  Not kool.  Especially during 1L when you're vying for law review and moot court and all that jazz. 

Sands, whats was your schools curve.  and congrats on graduating!

Thanks, man. It was a long time coming like Sam Cooke.

Our school has a B curve, mathematically placing the majority of GPA's between 2.95 to 3.05

whoneedsanABA

• praise the basketball gods!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2007, 05:50:15 PM »
hey credo.... are you serious?  2 1ls died from heart related diseases?  did they die while taking an exam...or were they off campus incidents?

geez man...hastings is serious!

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2007, 05:57:53 PM »

Sands, whats was your schools curve.  and congrats on graduating!

Thanks, man. It was a long time coming like Sam Cooke.

Our school has a B curve, mathematically placing the majority of GPA's between 2.95 to 3.05

Ah I could see how that was disappointing then, weve got a B- curve so Im always relieved to see it on my transcript.  Then again Im not much of a scholar to begin with.

Somehow I doubt that is true.

TruOne

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2007, 07:25:35 PM »

So he pulls out the model answer, and pulls out my exam...first let me back up...he pulls out my exam after I tell him my exam number and looks at the grade and gived the "WTF?" face I swear to God, says to me, "I don't quite understand it, you were one of my top students in that class...I could always call on you for the answer....blah blah blah" more words to that effect.  "Well Professor, that's why I'm here."

So fast forward, he pulls out the model answer and we go through each problem.  I should preface by saying that this professor was an unusual one in that he had page limits for each answer, and asked pointed questions, such as "what are the chances that the defendant would be convicted of felony-murder?" and stuff like that, so you either knew it or you didn't.  As it turns out, I knew it.  As we went down the model answer and my answer I had all the correct arguments point for point.  The two exams were almost identical in content.  Unfortunately for me, the only difference was the one that mattered for this professor and this professor only.  Turns out there were certain particular cases that he was looking for us to cite to after each proposition on our exam.  So I would say something like "The issue is ABC.  ABC is satisfied when elements (1) (2) and (3) are met.  People v. Smith."  Whereas the model answer would say "The issue is ABC.  ABC is satisfied when elements (1) (2) and (3) are met.  People v. Jones."  Which turned out to be something ridiculous like 18 points on a 60 point question for citing to the particular the case he wanted to hear.  Not just the right case, but the particular case.  The right case wasn't good enough.

I even tried to argue that the cases that I had cited to still stood for the same propositions that he was looking for, but he said that, yes even though that was true, he had been teaching this course for X years and for X years he discussed People v. Jones in his class or something along those lines.  It was one of the most pointless meetings with a professor I've ever had.

Oh and another thing, you remember the days when you could go into a professor's or a TA's office in undergrad and argue you way into changing a grade?  Those days are gone.  Your grade is what it is.  There is no sex in the champagne room.  Outside of a gross mathematical grading error on a scantron sheet or something, law school grades are set in stone.

This is exactly why I learned not to ever put a Professor on the spot in regards to your grade. They will find ANY reason to justify an arbitrary-ass grade.

"Well, what I was looking for was indentation for every paragraph, you didn't have that so you didn't earn as many points as possible."