Law School Discussion

Horror Stories/Let's scare the new 1L's

TruOne

• I'm still standing. . .I'm still here!
    • View Profile
Horror Stories/Let's scare the new 1L's
« on: May 29, 2007, 10:59:43 AM »
Fellow veterans! I know we all have Horror Stories from our first, second, & 3rd years of Law School. I believe the students show know exactly what they are getting themselves into and should be scared witless before they start :)

So it was around 8:50 a.m. and it was the FIRST day of exams, Contracts to be exact. I was PREPARED! I had (2) pencils and like every other Morehouse Man I had (2) pens as well! I had my outline still hot off the printer, and I even had a mini-outline sitting next to it.

So the Proctor gave us the signal to activate our testing software. So I turned my laptop on and waited for the ExamSoft to activate and greet me with the blue and green sign. . .

. .and I waited . . .

. . .8:55. . . . .and I'm STILL waiting for that screen.

Unfortunately ExamSoft had other ideas and decided that TODAY was the day it decided NOT to work. To say that I panicked would be an understatment, I'm hitting CrtL+Alt+Del trying to get the software to start, and my Professor is up there staring at me like I'm crazy asking, "Is there a problem?"

To make it worst, the so-called "Computer Tech Chick" fumbled with my computer and simply stated, "Wow. . .I've never seen this problem before."
 ??? ???

In the end I was forced to HAND-WRITE my first exam. Fortunately the guy next to me had extra Bluebooks.

so what happened to ya'll?

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Horror Stories/Let's scare the new 1L's
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 06:02:52 PM »
First horror story started before I even go into law school...I was accepted into law school and found out after I had quit my job that I could not get approved for private loans even with several different co-signers.  So in other words, I got into law school but couldn't afford to go.   >:(

Next horror story came at the end of the first semester of 1L when I got my first grade back in Crim Law, which was my strongest class based on my ability to effectively respond with the correct answer to my professor's barrage of socratic hazing on a daily basis, my familiarity with the MPC/Common Law distinctions, as well as the fact that I took a couple of practice exams to my professor that he reviewed and said were at the A level.  Did the same performance on the real exam, left it all out there on the field, and somehow ended up with a B- in the class!!!  ???  Still to this day...that is one of the biggest shockers of my 3 years of law school.  Def one of those "WTF?" moments.

TruOne

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 06:17:59 AM »
as well as the fact that I took a couple of practice exams to my professor that he reviewed and said were at the A level.  Did the same performance on the real exam, left it all out there on the field, and somehow ended up with a B- in the class!!!  ???  Still to this day...that is one of the biggest shockers of my 3 years of law school.  Def one of those "WTF?" moments.

I think everybody should take note of that last story and see it as a great illustration of just how arbitrary the grading in Law School is. You could walk out an exam feeling like an idiot who didn't know jack squat and get a GREAT grade, or you can walk out feeling confident and you end up dangling at the end of the curve.

This just makes me want to reiterate, that Law School sucks.

Tony Montana

• Strength and honor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007, 08:14:51 AM »
First horror story started before I even go into law school...I was accepted into law school and found out after I had quit my job that I could not get approved for private loans even with several different co-signers.  So in other words, I got into law school but couldn't afford to go.   >:(

Next horror story came at the end of the first semester of 1L when I got my first grade back in Crim Law, which was my strongest class based on my ability to effectively respond with the correct answer to my professor's barrage of socratic hazing on a daily basis, my familiarity with the MPC/Common Law distinctions, as well as the fact that I took a couple of practice exams to my professor that he reviewed and said were at the A level.  Did the same performance on the real exam, left it all out there on the field, and somehow ended up with a B- in the class!!!  ???  Still to this day...that is one of the biggest shockers of my 3 years of law school.  Def one of those "WTF?" moments.

Man, that sucks!  Did you go over the results with your Prof.?  If so, what was his justification?

whoneedsanABA

• praise the basketball gods!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007, 01:08:56 PM »
i'll be a 1l this upcoming fall...but my sister just finished her first year and has a myriad of stories to relay:

1) during her first semester our father suffered from renal and congestive heart failure...she wanted to be there but couldn't, totally affecting her psyche.
2) right before her 3rd final, she felt queezy and almost collapsed in the middle of the classroom.  she was excused by the proctor and drove herself to the hospital where she was diagnosed with extreme dehydration coupled with high blood pressure. she spent a few days in the hospital. the lesson here...always keep hydrated (gatorade) and try to enter law school with lance armstrong type health.
3) an hour into her property final this past semester...HER COMP FROZE. like TRUONE, she had to finish her final via bluebook.
4) she suffered a severe back injury (ironically carrying a set of law books) right before 2nd semester finals, resulting in days in the hospital. talk about deja vu...

Reesespbcup

• Yay summer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2007, 01:11:25 PM »
tiggity-tag

DDBY

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2007, 01:30:17 PM »
tag

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2007, 02:06:58 PM »
tag

TruOne

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2007, 04:10:24 PM »

Wow a B- thats pretty tragic  :D

I know, considering how the curve operates you would think he'd take his B- and keep on steppin'

Funia

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2007, 04:11:38 PM »

Wow a B- thats pretty tragic  :D

I know, considering how the curve operates you would think he'd take his B- and keep on steppin'

How does the curve operate?