Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: race gender box quibbles  (Read 6950 times)

blackpowerman

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
race gender box quibbles
« on: May 29, 2007, 01:26:27 PM »
ok, here is the scenario.

a white male fills out a law school application, only they mark the gender box "female" and the race box "black" or "hispanic" or "not white, etc"  or they keep "male" and simply claim another race. 

the admissions accept this person, and base it on his (her) 2 major qualifying statistics.

let's look both ways- scores could be high, but then again not- ive seen a black girl get into washington and lee with a 148 LSAT and a 3.9 gpa.  then, my friend who is white male, was rejected with a 168 LSAT and a 3.4 GPA.  this is all variable of course, but what would happen if someone lied about their race or color or both to get a hand up? 

"The fox knows many tricks; the hedgehog one good one" - Archilochus

Garry Shandling

• Sr. Citizen
  • How's My Hair?
    • View Profile
Re: race gender box quibbles
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 01:35:08 PM »
Take a f-ing English class.
I hope steve.jd and CS4L hang out at Harvard.  The combined gravitic pull of their prestige-egos will put (everyone) into orbit.  After a short time, they will all collapse upon each other creating the first man made black hole...

BearlyLegal

• LSD Obsessed
  • And the greatest threat to America is... Bears!!!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Newjoetm
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 01:38:09 PM »

a white male fills out a law school application, only they mark the gender box "female" and the race box "black" or "hispanic" or "not white, etc"  or they keep "male" and simply claim another race. 

the admissions accept this person, and base it on his (her) 2 major qualifying statistics.

let's look both ways- scores could be high, but then again not- ive seen a black girl get into washington and lee with a 148 LSAT and a 3.9 gpa.  then, my friend who is white male, was rejected with a 168 LSAT and a 3.4 GPA.  this is all variable of course, but what would happen if someone lied about their race or color or both to get a hand up? 

W&L turned down a 168? I am doomed.

Sweetpri

• Sr. Citizen
  • I hope I like Ohio!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 01:38:19 PM »
I would imagine they would get their acceptance revoked/kicked out for lying on their application.  
Interesting question though...I feel like it shouldn't bother me but it really does when people with significantly lower numbers get into the same schools I got rejected from because of URM status.  Would be nice if those boxes did not even exist.
University of Toledo 0L

BearlyLegal

• LSD Obsessed
  • And the greatest threat to America is... Bears!!!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Newjoetm
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2007, 01:44:13 PM »

As a more serious answer, you can probably apply as a URM and nothing will happen at all from a Law School perspective. Noone will ask you whether you are black or not, and there are plenty of lighter African Americans, Hispanics and Native Americans who could pass for white.

AA admissions are based on self-identification; so if you have legitimate reason to identify yourself as URM, go for it.

That being said, if ever in your Law School career you say anything about being white, you will be risking your degree. Furthermore, the C&F bar committee is well within their rights to ask you why you self-identified as a minority. If you cannot come up with a legitimate reason for such self-identification, you will refused membership to the bar, and your JD will be worthless.

HTH

blackpowerman

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2007, 01:45:06 PM »
well...what if they argued that they accidentally clicked the wrong box- completely possible with online applications.

i mean, they got accepted due to their qualifying SCORES anyways, right?  What difference does race/gender make?

ooooooohhhhhhh i seeeeeeee .......

ouch

blackpowerman

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 01:46:51 PM »
really? wow, is that true?  damn that would suck.  anyways, i didnt know if there were real reprecussions or just social blacklists or what not.

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2007, 01:50:27 PM »
Lying on your application will certainly get any acceptance revoked, and I wouldn't be surprised if you got barred from applying again either. If you do it on one application you might be able to sell it off as a mistake, but not if you do it on several.

If you cannot come up with a legitimate reason for such self-identification, you will refused membership to the bar, and your JD will be worthless.

Pfft, you could be a very well qualified paralegal! ;) Or, if anyone would want to hire you, you could still work with legal consulting, compliance etc.

California_RedRaider

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2007, 03:30:19 PM »
Take a f-ing English class.

hahahahaha... mean but funny...

I'm sorry but when i started reading this post, i was like.... dearlord... someone either is up late posting this, drunk, or really needs help with their written skills.

California_RedRaider

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2007, 03:36:46 PM »
I would imagine they would get their acceptance revoked/kicked out for lying on their application. 
Interesting question though...I feel like it shouldn't bother me but it really does when people with significantly lower numbers get into the same schools I got rejected from because of URM status.  Would be nice if those boxes did not even exist.

I concur... It's one thing to let someone into a university due to URM status if their numerical schools are a "little" lower... but if you're completely lower then I then that's absolutely ridiculous!

Also i hate the use of URM. Who cares! I'm sorry, this will probably sound like i'm whining, but if asians can't get an extra point for law schools then really no other minority race should. It's just not fair, all or nothing. A lot of schools very likely give a strike against asian applicants who don't have marvelous numbers... blahhh...

Okay end of my complaints.... but i concur, there is no need for those "boxes."