Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: USD + 20,000.00/yr or Loyola?  (Read 3689 times)

Praxis1

• View Profile
Re: USD + 20,000.00/yr or Loyola?
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2007, 04:18:14 PM »
I was being facetious about Loyola vs. UCLA/USC. I'm a Loyola student and it's a very difficult market, at least for me. The jobs listed on our job board pay $10-$20/hour and I couldn't live on that salary with my student loan payments. On top of that there are a lot of students competing for these jobs. Here is a job recently posted on the Loyola emplawyernet job board. You should ask to see your school's emplawyernet (or other) job board if you want a sense of what's available.

Employer Name:  xxxx

More about Employer:  xxxx

To learn more about this employer, click on one of the three resources above. Access to these resources requires a LEXIS-NEXIS subscription.

Contact Name: xxxx 
Address: xxx xxxx Avenue 
 Suite xx
City: xxxx, CA xxxxx
Telephone: 818-xxx-xxxx
Facsimile: 818-xxx-xxxx 
E-Mail: xxx
Description: HOURS: Full-time. DURATION: Temporary. SALARY: $15.00/hour STUDENT LEVEL: 2L QUALIFICATIONS: Must have excellent management and writing skills. JOB DESCRIPTION: This is an alternative to working at a law firm. xxx is a legal process outsourcing company which provides offshore support services to U.S. law firms. Candidate will help train Indian employees, monitor job assignments, prepare a training program. EMPLOYER PRACTICE/DESCRIPTION: xxx is a legal outsourcing company based in xxx, California. FIRM SIZE: 5 NOTES: Please feel free to email with any questions. Also indicate times at which you will be available. HOW TO APPLY: Submit resume, cover letter, writing sample, references and transcript via e-mail to xxxx
Date Entered: 05/31/07
Job ID: xxxx
Use the "Back" button of your browser to return to the list of jobs produced by your search. 

Harry Potter

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2007, 05:52:05 PM »
Loyola does not seem to have a good rep on this board....

USD+$$ vs. Hastings will be difficult...

a UCLA acceptance would make this very easy..

thanks for all of the input...

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
  • Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2007, 06:08:37 PM »
WTF?  That was a 2L summer job!  Even most students at first tier schools struggle to find one that pays considerable amounts!
J, if you didn't bring enough penis for everyone, you shouldn't have brought any penis at all. 

Roman815

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2007, 06:15:51 PM »
If I prefer to work in southern CA (I am a CA resident), any ideas re whether Hastings or USD +$$ would be a better option?

Wii- I am definitely trying to do all I can for UCLA....and I appreciate the sports metaphor

If SoCal, then USD+$$.

Agreed.  Admittedly, Hastings rejected me.  However, I decided before I even heard from them I'd be going to USD+$$ even if I got into Hastings.  And my scholarship is a) smaller and b) class rank dependent.

I now have the same scholarship you do with the same requirements after asking for another increase. Yet what worries me is that we don't just have to stay in the top 33% of the class but the top 33% of the Day Division. I would recommend that the OP choose UC Hastings because it has a better reputation and won't stress him out with scholarship requirements. I'm sure that there will be other stresses though.
University of San Diego School of Law Class of 2010!

LSN

Yankees Fan

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Ask+me
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2007, 06:22:40 PM »
If I prefer to work in southern CA (I am a CA resident), any ideas re whether Hastings or USD +$$ would be a better option?

Wii- I am definitely trying to do all I can for UCLA....and I appreciate the sports metaphor

If SoCal, then USD+$$.

Agreed.  Admittedly, Hastings rejected me.  However, I decided before I even heard from them I'd be going to USD+$$ even if I got into Hastings.  And my scholarship is a) smaller and b) class rank dependent.

I now have the same scholarship you do with the same requirements after asking for another increase. Yet what worries me is that we don't just have to stay in the top 33% of the class but the top 33% of the Day Division. I would recommend that the OP choose UC Hastings because it has a better reputation and won't stress him out with scholarship requirements. I'm sure that there will be other stresses though.

Ehh, I consider the scholarship requirement more motivation to perform better, which will in turn lead to better job prospects.  I didn't expect to be ranked among the part time students.  And Hastings has a better reputation, in an area I have no interest in ever living, so what use is it?

It's not so cut and dry, where you can say "better reputation means go".  In some cases yes.  Not at all in this one, IMO.  There's a much bigger picture to consider.
USD 2010

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2007, 06:29:16 PM »
Don't listen to Roman.  He's terribly n00bish about everything.  Dude thinks one inch ahead all the time while the rest of us work in steps.
J, if you didn't bring enough penis for everyone, you shouldn't have brought any penis at all. 

Roman815

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2007, 06:32:42 PM »
Don't listen to Roman.  He's terribly n00bish about everything.  Dude thinks one inch ahead all the time while the rest of us work in steps.

It's fine to disagree but why do you have to get personal ALL of the time with EVERYONE you disagree with?

LSN

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2007, 06:35:38 PM »

It's fine to disagree but why do you have to get personal ALL of the time with EVERYONE you disagree with?

LOLZ!11!1

The only person with whom I disagree that I get personal with is YOU, fooly!  That's because your arguments aren't even worth anyone's time.

Trolls also get my personal touch, for the same reason.  But you're too naive to be a troll.

::pets Roman::

Roman815

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2007, 06:39:03 PM »

LOLZ!11!1

The only person with whom I disagree that I get personal with is YOU, fooly!  That's because your arguments aren't even worth anyone's time.

Trolls also get my personal touch, for the same reason.  But you're too naive to be a troll.

::pets Roman::

::) then 8)

LSN

Praxis1

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2007, 06:39:27 PM »
WTF?  That was a 2L summer job!  Even most students at first tier schools struggle to find one that pays considerable amounts!

All of the jobs on Loyola's emplawyernet job board are like that. $10-$20/hour for small firms. I can post more if you want. Is there generally a difference between the job you get during your 2L summer and the job you get on graduation?