Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: USD + 20,000.00/yr or Loyola?  (Read 3687 times)

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
  • Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile
Re: USD + 20,000.00/yr or Loyola?
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2007, 01:34:31 AM »
Harry,

What are you doing to persuade UCLA to push you over?

A lot of people (me included) wouldn't even go to law school if Loyola and SD were our only options. Economically, it's just not worth it. Their graduates don't make much money, but have a ton of debt. Don't listen to 0Ls and their ignorant comments about the job market. Based on objective statistics, Loyola's placement in Los Angeles is pathetic. Southwestern and Pepperdine place better. I have spent the last month looking up career stats for TTT schools and Loyola's placement stats are shockingly bad for a big city law school. I don't remember San Diego's stats but I don't think they were much better.

Maybe you should visit UCLA and start kissing their ass. Maybe send them additional letters of recommendation. Do something to improve your chances of getting in. It's 4th quarter tie game with 1:00 on the clock. Make or break time.

FOR @#!*'S SAKE WOULD YOU JUST SHUT UP YOU IGNORANT female private part

"OBJECTIVE" =/= "TROLLING bull"

HTFH
J, if you didn't bring enough penis for everyone, you shouldn't have brought any penis at all. 

wiimote

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2007, 02:01:01 AM »
So US News is "trolling" when they collect and publish career statistics?

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2007, 03:25:42 AM »
LOLZ!!!1!1!
J, if you didn't bring enough penis for everyone, you shouldn't have brought any penis at all. 

whoneedsanABA

• Sr. Citizen
  • praise the basketball gods!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2007, 04:23:59 AM »
are you CA resident?  if so...

UC HASTINGS tuition: 23,000
- keep in mind that MOST receive a 5k need based grant if you qualify. so it may even be 18000 a year, but lets assume you pay full price.
v.
USD: 36000 a year - 20000 a year grant = 16000 per year. 
- please remember that you may or may not retain your scholarship your second year...meaning you may end up paying full price.
v.
LOYOLA LAW: 37000.  ouch!

it may come down to fordham v. hastings...

Praxis1

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2007, 12:52:28 PM »
I heard Loyola graduates did as well as USC?UCLA graduates on the market.

Harry Potter

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2007, 01:25:12 PM »
If I prefer to work in southern CA (I am a CA resident), any ideas re whether Hastings or USD +$$ would be a better option?

Wii- I am definitely trying to do all I can for UCLA....and I appreciate the sports metaphor

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2007, 01:44:14 PM »
If I prefer to work in southern CA (I am a CA resident), any ideas re whether Hastings or USD +$$ would be a better option?

Wii- I am definitely trying to do all I can for UCLA....and I appreciate the sports metaphor

If SoCal, then USD+$$.

Yankees Fan

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Ask+me
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2007, 02:12:10 PM »

If SoCal, then USD+$$.

Agreed.  Admittedly, Hastings rejected me.  However, I decided before I even heard from them I'd be going to USD+$$ even if I got into Hastings.  And my scholarship is a) smaller and b) class rank dependent.
USD 2010

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2007, 02:58:30 PM »
Those are good points, too.  I just figured he was talking mostly about San Diego, where USD is just a better bet (if the scholarship isn't difficult to keep).

Yankees Fan

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Ask+me
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2007, 03:40:36 PM »

If SoCal, then USD+$$.

Agreed.  Admittedly, Hastings rejected me.  However, I decided before I even heard from them I'd be going to USD+$$ even if I got into Hastings.  And my scholarship is a) smaller and b) class rank dependent.

Hastings v. USD Depends what kind of work you want to do.  Tons of USD grads working in government, private practice in San Diego, Riverside, Orange, and Imperial coutnies.  Few working in big firms in LA and they are largely displaced by loyola/UCLA in LA government.  Hastings places VERY well in LA, and much better in Federal positions there.  Plus why not take the lower overall tuition and automatic 5k grant at Hastings rather than the uncertainty of the USD scholarship?

For me, it was one word.  Location.  If I was going to make a huge move from NYC, it wasn't going to be to SF.  It's a great city, but not one I'd want to live in.  San Diego on the other hand... I absolutely LOVE.  I'll gladly forego the better paying LA jobs to live in SD, or a bit north.  If someone's goal is purely biglaw and they like SF, by all means, Hastings hands down over USD.  That's just not me.
USD 2010