Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anyone know anything about U. Conn?  (Read 1318 times)

kaftex

Anyone know anything about U. Conn?
« on: March 09, 2004, 06:30:31 PM »
finally..

I got my first acceptance today, to UConn! It was welcome news after being rudely rejected from BC, BU, and GW within the span of 2 days. Does anyone know anything about this school, or the Hartford area? The IP program mentioned on their site looks interesting. While I'm aware that it's not Harvard, it still is a relief to know that my foot is firmly in the door at a Tier 1. :)

I'm still waiting to hear from William and Mary, Tulane, and U. of Georgia. In a best case scenario where I get accepted to all of them (I assume that I have made it past the autoreject filters by now), which would you choose and why? 

thanks in advance for the input,
kt

drewpac

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Anyone know anything about U. Conn?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2004, 06:42:11 PM »
Congrats!!! I've applied to all of the same schools minus GA.  Do you mind posting your #'s to see how I compare?  Thanks.

kaftex

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2004, 07:04:01 PM »
certainly,

BS in Computer Engineering from Georgia Tech, 3.3 GPA (quite respectable here)
LSAT 154 (doh!) / 165 (one year later)

I knew my numbers were a mixed bag. I've been counting on the admissions officers forgiving my weak first LSAT as a fluke given the 11 point jump, and giving me some credit for taking ridiculously tough classes. *crosses fingers*

kt

drewpac

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2004, 07:13:41 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  My numbers are very similar. 3.26, 164 from UCLA.  It should be interesting to see how I do in relation to you given the difference in LSAT score.

I've heard good things about UCONN.  The school is supposedly "supportive" as opposed to being competitive.  Also, it's relatively cheap if you can get instate status after one year.  I'm not sure what particular programs are strong there but I was intrigued by their joint environmental program with Vermont since that will be my specialty field.

As far as the other schools go I would think that Georgia would be your best bet since you're instate.  W&M is also a very good school that is relatively cheap but it's in a rather boring and isolated area of VA. 

Good luck the rest of the way and maybe I'll see you in Hartford.

NerdyLaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Loser
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2004, 11:16:32 AM »
Kaftex:

I am from the Hartford area. I applied to UCONN but haven't heard from them yet (fingers crossed). It is in a very nice section of the city. In fact, it's more on the outskirts in a suburb area with huge old houses and nice parks. There is definitely a LOT of money in that area so it is kept quite well.

It looks like we're in the same boat (yippee) undergrad wise. I also have a BS in Computer Engineering from Rutger. UGPA = 3.6, LSAT = 159 (yuck). If you need any information about the area, just let me know and I'll be happy to help you out. Maybe I'll see you there...
EE at Rutgers - 3.5/164
There are 10 types of people in this world... Those who understand binary and those who don't.

jbshane

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2004, 01:03:51 PM »
UConn Law is very near the Hartford/West Hartford border - in one of the better sections of Hartford.

Having grown up about 15 miles from this area, I'm relatively biased - but Hartford is not a desirable city to live in/near for 20-somethings.  Downtown Hartford does not offer a lot in terms of nightlife (only a handful of bars downtown, and in my opinion, going to each once was one time too many).  Downtown West Hartford is nicer than Hartford - several outstanding restaurants and a good collection of bars.

In terms of cultural draws, I can't think of much more than the Wadsworth Atheneum (a so-so art museum) and the Bushnell (again, a pretty good theater considering that Hartford is sandwiched between Boston & NYC).  The Meadows Music Theatre is a great outdoor concert venue that attracts most of the big-name acts every spring, summer and fall.

To sum it up, I can't imagine myself ever moving back to the Hartford area, especially before I'm married with children.  Connecticut is a state of wealthy suburbs (West Hartford being one of these) built around drab, dead-end cities.  Hartford is a ghost town by 5:15pm every weekday.  It has a few positive offerings, but nothing that can't be found in any other major metro area in the U.S.  If you're 35, married, and have 2.3 children, then maybe UConn law is right for you, but as a young person looking for a vital area full of things to do (when you're not killing yourself studying for school), Hartford is not a great place to live.

Sorry to sound so anti-Hartford, but this is just one man's opinion.  I do have plenty of friends who stuck around the Hartford area after college (or returned to the area after college) and seem to like it, but none seem to pumped about their situations.  Mainly, they live there because Boston and NYC are too expensive, and they don't want to move out of the Northeast.

jbshane

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2004, 01:10:24 PM »
One more thing, as I just finished reading your initial post: if you want go to UConn Law and decide that you want to work elsewhere (i.e. leave Hartford immediately after graduation), I don't know how easy that will be.  From my understanding, UGA has a pretty good reputation all over the southeast, and could get you a foot in the door in most cities down there.  William & Mary will give you the same opportunities, but I think it will also give a greater chance of working outside of the southeast.  A degree from UConn will give you a foot in the door in CT - it will be difficult to go outside of CT, and nearly impossible to go outside of the Northeast.  Boston already has a large supply of law grads (Harvard, BC, BU, Northeastern, NESL, and Suffolk) to worry about outsiders, so to speak.  NYC is the same way: NYU, Columbia, Yale, Fordham, Brooklyn, etc., not to mention every other top 10 school in the country).  I just don't think UConn will open many doors for you, should you wish to depart Hartford post-graduation.