Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Please help --- Thinkpad vs Sony SZ  (Read 1357 times)

KillYourself

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Please help --- Thinkpad vs Sony SZ
« on: May 29, 2007, 07:35:38 AM »
First let me say that my budget can handle either notebook.  Second, I have a lot of Sony products (Cybershot camera, PS3, PSP, and a couple memory sticks). 

I think because of the compatibility issues a Sony would be better for me, but I wanted to know what advantages the Thinkpad has over the Sony besides being less expensive.  thanks

P.U.S.H

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Please help --- Thinkpad vs Sony SZ
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 08:53:50 AM »
*tag*
Everday I'm HUSL'in

Refused Party Program

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 09:34:35 AM »
From what I can tell, the Lenovos are more "sturdy" than the Sony's. I was thinking about an SZ, but I couldn't justify the cost to get a slightly smaller and lighter machine. We ordered Sony's for a while here at work, and they all died within a year (the screens just stopped working on them). Now, this was a few years ago and I would hope they have improved, but I'm still left with a sour feeling toward them.

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 11:12:00 AM »
Compatibility with equipment like that isn't really an issue. Very little of the hardware has any relation to Sony anyway, so I wouldn't make that an issue. They're good computers though, so nothing wrong in getting one either. Personally, I'd lean towards a Thinkpad.

Texas2L

• Sr. Citizen
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2007, 11:13:42 AM »
Compatibility with equipment like that isn't really an issue. Very little of the hardware has any relation to Sony anyway, so I wouldn't make that an issue. They're good computers though, so nothing wrong in getting one either. Personally, I'd lean towards a Thinkpad.

^^ This is correct.

KillYourself

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2007, 08:00:41 PM »

^^ This is correct.

How is compatibility not an issue?  I can take the memory stick out of my camera and put it right into the computer and upload my pics/music/files/etc.  I can go between my PS3 and PSP and current laptop the same way as well.  It's much easier than buying a memory card reader or using a USB cable each time you want to upload or download something on to or from a memory stick.

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 08:09:51 PM »
How is compatibility not an issue?  I can take the memory stick out of my camera and put it right into the computer and upload my pics/music/files/etc.
Which any laptop with a card reader can do. CyberShot uses MemoryStick cards, these are not related to Sony by any means, and are just as common or uncommon on other producer laptops as they are on Sonys. Mind you, Sony does produce MemorySticks, but there is nothing different between a Sony MS and a SanDisk MS for example, and they're all exchangeable both in your computer and in your camera.

I can go between my PS3 and PSP and current laptop the same way as well.
Huh? How does your Sony laptop magically perform these tasks without being connected by a cable, IR or Bluetooth?

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
  • Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2007, 08:12:08 PM »
Kill self.

HTFH.
J, if you didn't bring enough penis for everyone, you shouldn't have brought any penis at all. 

zerofact0r

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2007, 08:56:21 PM »
Sony computers and other products aren't using any unique products.  They're putting the Sony name on pieces constructed from various places all around the world.

The Thinkpad is the better computer.  Sony is overpriced.

zerofact0r

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2007, 08:57:59 PM »
Is this like the person that buys a Macbook to go with iPod?  Seriously, buy a Thinkpad with the media card slot instead of the Express Card slot.  Your digital camera stuff can go there.

I'm not sure what you're talkin about transfering from a PSP to a PSX3 to a laptop.  If you have a secret on how to play PSP and PSX3 games on your computer, please share.