Law School Discussion

Please help --- Thinkpad vs Sony SZ

Re: Please help --- Thinkpad vs Sony SZ
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2007, 01:49:26 AM »
i'm pretty sure the sony has screen that's 1.3 inches bigger, and yes, there is a premium carbon fiber model, which is what i was planning on getting. 

do you have a link or could you give some info about the memory stick / ram thing that you mentioned? thanks

also what exactly constitutes putting a computer through hell?  i tend to keep my computer on the majority of the day and have multiple apps open, but that's about it. 

Quail!

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2007, 06:34:03 AM »
By "putting it through hell" I meant physical wear and tear.

The memorystick thing I was talking about is called "Readyboost".  Basically, it allows you to keep a memory stick (or USB drive for that matter) plugged in and dedicated to doing tasks normally the RAM does, such as paging (but not everything, since RAM is still faster than these devices) which frees up RAM.  Google "Vista Readyboost" for details, though if you get over 1.5 GB of RAM in the machine you might not notice a whole ton of difference.

ě

• non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2007, 08:01:57 AM »
Sony DOES have everything to do with memory sticks - they created them.  You won't find a laptop of any other brand that has a memorystick slot, and I believe that is the compatibility that is being discussed.

It might be possible that Sony has some monopoly on MemoryStick readers in the US that I am not aware of, but both my Toshiba and HP have built-in multi-card readers, which among many other formats read MemoryStick. The fact that Sony made it really isn't relevant when it comes to using it.

Edit; Taken from a US Toshiba model;

a memory card reader compatible with SD Card, Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro, MultiMedia Card and xD-Picture Card supports.

So no, there's no exclusivity on the US market either.

Quail!

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2007, 08:43:15 AM »
Sony DOES have everything to do with memory sticks - they created them.  You won't find a laptop of any other brand that has a memorystick slot, and I believe that is the compatibility that is being discussed.

It might be possible that Sony has some monopoly on MemoryStick readers in the US that I am not aware of, but both my Toshiba and HP have built-in multi-card readers, which among many other formats read MemoryStick. The fact that Sony made it really isn't relevant when it comes to using it.

Edit; Taken from a US Toshiba model;

a memory card reader compatible with SD Card, Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro, MultiMedia Card and xD-Picture Card supports.

So no, there's no exclusivity on the US market either.

I might be mistaken, but I believe you would need an adapter, I don't think it has a direct MS slot - but I could be wrong.

ě

• non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2007, 09:34:31 AM »
Well, that's exactly what it says, so unless they're directly lying in their product specs, it does.

« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2007, 03:43:29 PM »
i know that some laptops have a multiple memory card reader slot, but i'm specifically talking about the thinkpad vs. the sony sz.  unless i'm reading something incorrectly, the thinkpad only has a SD card slot.

ě

• non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2007, 04:42:21 PM »
That might be, I don't know too much about Thinkpads, never been a fan.