Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Living with parents and commuting an hour for first year. Good or Bad Idea?  (Read 747 times)

clee750

• View Profile
I am thinking about living with my parents for the first year of law school. I would commute about an hour in the morning and thirty minutes in the evening five days a week. This will save alot of money but I dont know if it will hurt my studying. What do you guys think.

Sam P. Huntington

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I am thinking about living with my parents for the first year of law school. I would commute about an hour in the morning and thirty minutes in the evening five days a week. This will save alot of money but I dont know if it will hurt my studying. What do you guys think.

It would be useful if we knew where you will be going to school, where your parents live, and how much you think it will save you. Otherwise it's pretty hard to say.
Boston College Law School Class of 2010

clee750

• View Profile
I live north of atlanta and I am going to Georgia State. It would save about $8000.

Pop Up Video

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
You're commuting by car, right?

CavemanLawyer

• Ladies and gentlemen, I'm just a caveman.
    • View Profile
    • LawSchoolDigits
An hour and a half commute a day doesn't sound too bad.  I take it that you'll have free time to study during the day in between classes, so as long as you can study effectively in a library rather than in your own room, it doesn't seem like there would be too much of a detrimental effect on your studying.  I suppose the 7.5 hours a week could be spent studying rather than driving, but most people who go to law school have to make some sort of commute anyways, but you definitely would get that extra hour or so 5 days a week.  If that extra 5 hours or so a week to study is worth less than the expenses you would pay for living away from home, I would think that you should stay at home. 
100,000 years ago, a caveman was out hunting on the frozen wastes when he slipped and fell into a crevasse. In 1988, he was discovered by some scientists and thawed out. He then went to law school and became.. Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer. http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=CavemanLawyer

qmmm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
If you can get home in 30 minutes, you could also get to school in 30 minutes provided you left home earlier.  You can study before class too.

CavemanLawyer

• Ladies and gentlemen, I'm just a caveman.
    • View Profile
    • LawSchoolDigits
I think that given the fact that he/she's already thought it through, he/she's not willing to do that.  That doesn't sound like too bad of an idea though.
100,000 years ago, a caveman was out hunting on the frozen wastes when he slipped and fell into a crevasse. In 1988, he was discovered by some scientists and thawed out. He then went to law school and became.. Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer. http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=CavemanLawyer

Quail!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Do you have any other siblings living at home? What is your home environment like?  Are your parents going to end up driving you nuts?

This isn't something anyone on here can say is definitively good or bad on the whole...it's all personal.