Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Retake a 169 for UPenn?  (Read 2463 times)

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
Re: Retake a 169 for UPenn?
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2007, 12:37:47 PM »
Theoretically, but the general opinion is that they will only admit auto-admit numbers during ED anyway, so usually you end up getting deferred. To what degree this holds true or not I guess is better asked to professionals, but it seems to be what people here think at least. And it sounds plausible to me at least. By applying for ED you've put it in writing that they're top of your list, so there's little risk for them to keep you on hold and try to fish for better candidates first.

That being said, acceptance is acceptance, whether you get it in November or June makes no difference :)

whitesupremacist

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2007, 12:40:52 PM »
Theoretically, but the general opinion is that they will only admit auto-admit numbers during ED anyway, so usually you end up getting deferred. To what degree this holds true or not I guess is better asked to professionals, but it seems to be what people here think at least. And it sounds plausible to me at least. By applying for ED you've put it in writing that they're top of your list, so there's little risk for them to keep you on hold and try to fish for better candidates first.

That being said, acceptance is acceptance, whether you get it in November or June makes no difference :)

it makes a huge difference seeing as how a november acceptance would save me nearly 8 months of wondering if im getting in or not and if they accept me in june i would probly have committed to another school by then anyway...can't put my life on hold for penn no matter how much i wanna go there

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2007, 12:43:15 PM »
Well, June is a bit of an exaggeration of course, if you haven't heard anything past April you're very likely on a wait list. But I can't see why you'd commit to a lesser school before April if you believe you have a chance at Penn, which I'd say you certainly do. Only reason I could see to that is big $$$ from some decent school.

whitesupremacist

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2007, 12:53:42 PM »
Well, June is a bit of an exaggeration of course, if you haven't heard anything past April you're very likely on a wait list. But I can't see why you'd commit to a lesser school before April if you believe you have a chance at Penn, which I'd say you certainly do. Only reason I could see to that is big $$$ from some decent school.

if i don't get into Penn i'm gonna go to temple or villanova b/c i wanna stay in the area...so i guess it's fine to b on the waitlist and not commit to one of those schools since its not like i have to worry about moving to another place or anything by a certain date and needing to make a decision

Catherine Morland

• Sr. Citizen
  • the improvement of her mind by extensive reading
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2007, 01:01:57 PM »
If you're only applying to 3 places, apply ED. Highlight your commitment to Philadelphia and the community in your "Why Penn?". Your LSAT is in their range and you have a high GPA, so it would seem that you have at least a fifty-fifty shot.
0102 SLY

The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid. - Jane Austen

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2007, 01:20:16 PM »
Oh, by all means, I did not mean to indicate that you shouldn't apply for ED at Penn. It was more that, even if you don't get accepted on ED you should still have a good chance during 'regular admissions'.

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2007, 01:29:57 PM »

if i don't get into Penn i'm gonna go to temple or villanova b/c i wanna stay in the area...so i guess it's fine to b on the waitlist and not commit to one of those schools since its not like i have to worry about moving to another place or anything by a certain date and needing to make a decision

wow that would be a huge mistake
like I said, there are a bunch of schools that you can go to or three years and end up back in Philly.  You are pretty much autoadmit at Duke, and philly firms would be knocking down your door.
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

whitesupremacist

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2007, 03:27:14 PM »

like I said, there are a bunch of schools that you can go to or three years and end up back in Philly.  You are pretty much autoadmit at Duke, and philly firms would be knocking down your door.

any school outside of philly is impractical for me at this point in my life due to personal circumstances

Towelie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2007, 03:35:32 PM »

any school outside of philly is impractical for me at this point in my life due to personal circumstances

You will never know until you apply. Focus on your personal statement and other essays and hope for the best.
Penn Law '09

ljg

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2007, 09:24:42 AM »
i have a 169/3.90 gpa....should i retake the lsat or is this combo good enough for Penn seeing as how i'm applying early/ maybe binding ED? applying this fall. thx

I had a 169/3.87, applied regular decision (application was sent in mid-October), and was accepted. Write the why Penn essay and a killer personal statement- there's no reason why you wouldn't have a great shot!