Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Black Conservatives  (Read 16361 times)

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
Re: Black Conservatives
« Reply #140 on: June 08, 2007, 12:03:48 PM »
I think you have to break the barrier of getting a black president first; which is why I in other threads have suggested I think black people really should consider giving their vote to Obama, even if he isn't the perfect candidate. The first one is always the hardest, no matter what it comes to. Also, I'd be of the opinion that the democrats are the most beneficial option for disadvantaged people. It's my impression that blacks are overrepresented in this category, but I don't know that for sure. Still, I think that social segment needs to be the priority. Reality is, working class and above are doing pretty good in America these days, more tax cuts and perks to people already rich enough shouldn't be important, fixing the bottom ladders of society should.

DDBY

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 08, 2007, 12:34:42 PM »
I think you have to break the barrier of getting a black president first; which is why I in other threads have suggested I think black people really should consider giving their vote to Obama, even if he isn't the perfect candidate. The first one is always the hardest, no matter what it comes to. Also, I'd be of the opinion that the democrats are the most beneficial option for disadvantaged people. It's my impression that blacks are overrepresented in this category, but I don't know that for sure. Still, I think that social segment needs to be the priority. Reality is, working class and above are doing pretty good in America these days, more tax cuts and perks to people already rich enough shouldn't be important, fixing the bottom ladders of society should.
I agree with the Obama part.  I'm considering switching parties just to vote for him in the primary. If he win the General Election we can clean up his mess later.

One group provides social serices to the disadvantages with out any attempt to solve the problems.  I believe this is a deliberate attempt to perpetuate the situation.  The other group prefers to provide solutions to the larger problems but habitually overlooks the immediate suffering that needs to be alleviated. 

If you are disadvantaged and want to stay disadvantaged, and want to remain dependent on the benevolence of others then vote Democrat.  If you are disadvantaged and want to have opportunities to pull yourself up, and are prepared to suffer that fact that you will not be given things but will have to earn them then vote republican.

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 08, 2007, 12:54:04 PM »
You seem a bit paranoid when it comes to democrats :) I really don't see anything in the republican program that actually does anything for disadvantaged people. One could easily argue that neither party really seems to give a *&^% of course.

If you are disadvantaged and want to have opportunities to pull yourself up, and are prepared to suffer that fact that you will not be given things but will have to earn them then vote republican.

What does this mean?

Hank Rearden

• LSD Obsessed
  • Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 08, 2007, 01:49:02 PM »
You seem a bit paranoid when it comes to democrats :) I really don't see anything in the republican program that actually does anything for disadvantaged people. One could easily argue that neither party really seems to give a *&^% of course.

I think that's his point.  There is actually a lot to be said for the fact that welfare, civil rights legislation has hurt poor people and blacks.  It makes sense that some of these bureaucrats want there to be poverty and racism since their jobs depend on there being poverty and racism.  No poverty and racism anymore = no job.

And I'll definitely take a look at the Clarence Thomas autobiography when it comes out.  I'm also a little uneasy about Objectivism's take on religion, but politically I'm with it.   
CLS '10

The appropriateness of Perpetua would probably depend on the tone of the writing.  When I used it, I (half playfully) thought the extra space made the words sort of resonate.

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 08, 2007, 01:55:06 PM »
I think that's his point.  There is actually a lot to be said for the fact that welfare, civil rights legislation has hurt poor people and blacks.  It makes sense that some of these bureaucrats want there to be poverty and racism since their jobs depend on there being poverty and racism.  No poverty and racism anymore = no job.

Also true, but I wouldn't imagine these bureaucrats in such positions really wield much power in a government. I could certainly be wrong.

Hank Rearden

• LSD Obsessed
  • Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 08, 2007, 01:56:47 PM »

Also true, but I wouldn't imagine these bureaucrats in such positions really wield much power in a government. I could certainly be wrong.

Inidividually I don't think they have much power, but as a group they definitely do. 
CLS '10

The appropriateness of Perpetua would probably depend on the tone of the writing.  When I used it, I (half playfully) thought the extra space made the words sort of resonate.

7S

• Sr. Citizen
  • Self-determination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 08, 2007, 02:49:19 PM »
Which of these points should be relevant for who you vote for this election?
[] a. All of the above
[] b. None of the above

Nothing, unless you vote for a democrat for no reason other than, "Republicans don't like black people."

That's certainly true.
I worry that the dems take advantage of black loyalty.  Even the black candidate seem to neglect thier constituancy once they get in.  I would like future where both parties have to work to gain black votes.  That's when there will be real influence on our part in the American Political Landscape.

I think that is when black people will loose their influence in the American political landscape. Not to imply that blacks are monolithic, but politically, we kinda are. We are the most important voters when white voters are split evenly. If that cohesiveness is diluted, so goes our power in society.

America needs to get rid of the two-party system before we start diluting black voting power. [Putting my hand on my chest, saluting the flag] We are the social conscience of America.
It is easy to change the language of oppression without changing the sociopolitical situation of its victims.

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 08, 2007, 02:58:50 PM »
To lose the two-party system you need to completely remove the "winner takes all" type of elections though. Not sure you'll find political will to do that anywhere.

Hank Rearden

• LSD Obsessed
  • Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 08, 2007, 03:05:00 PM »
To lose the two-party system you need to completely remove the "winner takes all" type of elections though. Not sure you'll find political will to do that anywhere.

Maybe because people in power want to stay in power... ;)
CLS '10

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 08, 2007, 06:46:34 PM »
Nah, I can't imagine that is the case:p