Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Law School Reading Lists  (Read 4834 times)

DDBY

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Law School Reading Lists
« Reply #60 on: May 29, 2007, 05:19:59 PM »
Nancy Grace is retarded, I was under the impression that everyone thought that?
Qui?

Brito

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ViolaLovesMusic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: May 29, 2007, 06:28:36 PM »
Eh, I still think that the Bible can be taught in a secular manner.

And my high school literature was predominately pro-Jewish and pro-African American culture. The 'Christian' texts we read were inflammatory stuff like John Edwards' revival sermons and fundamentalist extreme ideas like in "The Scarlet Letter."

Are you suggesting that The Scarlet Letter actually espouses "fundamentalist extreme ideas"?
Harvard 2010

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 29, 2007, 06:35:02 PM »

You would be correct.

Oddibemcd

• Sr. Citizen
  • Take that Rocket
    • View Profile
    • Law School Numbers
« Reply #63 on: May 29, 2007, 07:32:18 PM »

And my high school literature was predominately pro-Jewish and pro-African American culture. The 'Christian' texts we read were inflammatory stuff like John Edwards' revival sermons and fundamentalist extreme ideas like in "The Scarlet Letter."

Are you suggesting that The Scarlet Letter actually espouses "fundamentalist extreme ideas"?

Well, it's not as if Hawthorne changed his name to distance himself from the Puritan past...
Attending: Cornell
In: Cornell, G-Town, W&M(w), FSU(w), U of Cincinnati(w), Santa Clara(w)
Held: Northwestern(w)
Waitlisted: Cardozo(w), Michigan(w), Penn
Out: Chicago, Yale, NYU, Columbia

171/3.4

doibhilin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 29, 2007, 11:27:39 PM »

Uh, first, I don't think African-American literature and Christian literature are mutually exclusive. I'm sure the vast majority of African-American authors read in public schools are Christian.

But you misunderstand my point. If you're going to argue that we should teach Christianity as a culture, than why emphasize religious texts, like Edwards' sermons? We should study the cultural output of that culture. And that's what we do - with nearly every book in a European or American literature class.

Alan Shore

• Sr. Citizen
  • All reality. None of it scripted.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 31, 2007, 09:38:14 PM »

It would make me feel uncomfortable as a student to study the bible in public school, especially if not in a comparative setting with other "equally important" religious texts.

I agree that the bible def can be taught in a secular setting, and is probably important for understanding some literature, but I think it is better taught as an optional class in college.

If the Quran were allowed to be studied outside of the Arabic language, it could be taught in the same class as the Bible, The Bhagavad-Gita, The Torah (first 5 books of the Bible, granted), etc. I would be OK with that. I'd feel uncomfortable reading the other books, but isn't part of education feeling uncomfortable?

P.P.S You probably read lots of pro-Christian lit in high school, and you didn't notice. Just off the top of my head, you may have read Graham Greene, C.S. Lewis, Tolkien, John Milton, Dante, and/or John Bunyan.

None of the above! :)

I was obviously being sarcastic. But without her, we wouldn't have Gracie Jane on Boston Legal!  8)

Well, I mean a form of punishment is to publicly shame a woman who has committed adultery? And a masochistic man who gives himself a scarlet letter? Um... yeah, I'd say that's kind of extreme.

But you misunderstand my point. If you're going to argue that we should teach Christianity as a culture, than why emphasize religious texts, like Edwards' sermons? We should study the cultural output of that culture. And that's what we do - with nearly every book in a European or American literature class.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but wouldn't you have to study the culture to get to the cultural output?

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 31, 2007, 10:28:35 PM »

Sure it can, but why would you want to?

DDBY

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 31, 2007, 10:35:26 PM »
What about the former NJ Gov. McGreevy wanting to be a man of god, and teaching ethics? >:(

Paper Chaser

• Sr. Citizen
  • http://guinnessandchocolate.blogspot.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 31, 2007, 10:43:08 PM »
Please stop the hijacking!!!! Thanks. ;D

DDBY

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 31, 2007, 10:45:54 PM »