Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Seton Hall  (Read 4152 times)

ApesAMB

• AOL Instant Messenger - ApesAMB
    • View Profile
Re: Seton Hall
« Reply #50 on: June 07, 2007, 10:56:24 AM »
I think I'm going to be at Seton Hall, unless I get off a waiting list closer to home.  For those of you who live close or have visited, what's Newark like?  Do you know how much rent is going to be, and what areas are the best to live in?  I've never been to the area, and I'm living in Europe, so I won't be able to visit, so I need some help :)

Is anyone else freaking out about how much it costs to go here?  How are you going to manage with the $56,000 a year debt!?
Boston College Class of 2011!

dukedogalley

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 07, 2007, 11:08:18 AM »
I think I'm going to be at Seton Hall, unless I get off a waiting list closer to home.  For those of you who live close or have visited, what's Newark like?  Do you know how much rent is going to be, and what areas are the best to live in?  I've never been to the area, and I'm living in Europe, so I won't be able to visit, so I need some help :)

Is anyone else freaking out about how much it costs to go here?  How are you going to manage with the $56,000 a year debt!?

Yea I am freaking out a bit...I am contacting lenders this week to try and get everything worked out...newark isn't too bad, the school is very close to newark penn station, which is a large transporation hub.  There are limited options in newark...a few nice luxury buildings that are relatively cheap and close to school...hoboken is another option, but it is not cheap...I am most likely living further south in a nj suburb...edison, madison or rahway

mikeyakay2j

« Reply #52 on: June 07, 2007, 11:27:22 AM »
Apes,

You will deal with loans like everyone else lol i dont want to sound harsh but most people have educational loans and they live just fine, just make sure you study, do well in class, and get a great job, then everything else will fall into place. Are you going into the FT or PT program?

ApesAMB

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 07, 2007, 11:37:59 AM »
Yeah, I know that everyone has loans, but the idea of having $200,000 (combined with undergrad) is very daunting.  I know lawyers can make a lot of money when they are done with school, but a lot don't too.  Everyone wants to do well in school, and inevitably half of the people are going to be at the bottom half of the class.  I don't mean to be pessimistic, but after working at paying off undergrad debt, I know how hard it can be.  I have to be realistic about what a huge deal having that much debt is.

I will be going FT.

mikeyakay2j

« Reply #54 on: June 07, 2007, 11:50:32 AM »
You're right its hard but thats life if you want to pursue law thats the price you pay (literally!) LOL Dont worry you will be fine but expect realistic job prospects you will most likely NOT get 80K or above at your first job. Unless you are Top 5 to 10% or have law review it is very hard to get BigLaw jobs from Seton, thats what I hear from past and present students. But look at the upside if you truly love the law you will enjoy the work and Seton is one of the 3 schools of law in NJ so I think you can find a decent job somewhere in NJ since most grads will be on your level, its much harder to find a job in a big NY firm where you're competing against Harvard, Yale, NYU and Columbia grads, thats why they say you need to be the Top Dawg (Top 5-10%) to even have a chance at that. But time will tell and positive thoughts can keep a smile on your face.

ApesAMB

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 07, 2007, 01:12:04 PM »
I agree that we have to shell out the $$ if we want to be lawyers.  So $80K is about the top from Seton Hall?  That's good to know.  I was curious about realistic salaries coming out of there.  For those of you who are living in this area, are the living expenses that they figure for us pretty true to what you've seen?  What should I expect to pay for a 1 or 2 bedroom apartment?

dukedogalley

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 07, 2007, 01:29:20 PM »
I agree that we have to shell out the $$ if we want to be lawyers.  So $80K is about the top from Seton Hall?  That's good to know.  I was curious about realistic salaries coming out of there.  For those of you who are living in this area, are the living expenses that they figure for us pretty true to what you've seen?  What should I expect to pay for a 1 or 2 bedroom apartment?

IMO, the living expenses allocated by Seton Hall are low...you can find places for the amounts they list but it might mean living in an undesireable area or having 1 or 2 roomates.

mikeyakay2j

« Reply #57 on: June 07, 2007, 02:09:02 PM »
Apes,

I saw housing was cheap in nearby Harrington, I wanted to live there but I will be commuting instead, you might need a car from there to Seton or you might be able to take a train. I dont recommend living in Newark I hear its ok in the downtown region next to the school but to live there would be a mistake IMO.

ApesAMB

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 08, 2007, 04:56:10 AM »
They underestimate cost of living?  Crap!  Give me some more loans!

Do you think it's feasable to come a few days before orientation and find a place?  Hearing all this really makes me want to check out the area and find a good place, not just take a guess and find something online.  Anyone out there have a nice place and need a roommate??

dukedogalley

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 08, 2007, 08:47:12 AM »
They underestimate cost of living?  Crap!  Give me some more loans!

Do you think it's feasable to come a few days before orientation and find a place?  Hearing all this really makes me want to check out the area and find a good place, not just take a guess and find something online.  Anyone out there have a nice place and need a roommate??

It is feadable to find a place in a few days.  Checkout the buildings in newark that are linked to the seton hall housing page. 

http://law.shu.edu/administration/student_services/housing/Housing.htm

the eleven eighty building is very nice and close to campus...you might want to look for a roomate tho!