Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: SIU and the CLS  (Read 841 times)

AJ

• View Profile
SIU and the CLS
« on: May 25, 2007, 03:08:44 PM »

Did anyone see the below story regarding SIU and the Christian Legal Society?

Does SIU have an anti-Christian bent?

This is a school I have been considering, but this story definitely makes me re-think that somewhat. 

http://www.ksdk.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=120067

philibusters

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: SIU and the CLS
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2007, 06:41:00 PM »
Why reconsider?  Its a close case, on the one hand they seem to be withholding recognition and funding because the group requires people to swear to live by christian values and that seems to violate the free exercise clause in that its put an added burden on the religious group, on the other hand, since the group makes its members swear to live a christian life style the university could argue thats its endorsing christian values, but its no longer about ideas, but making people swear to live by a set of values and that if they funded the society they would run into endorsement clause problems.  Church-State separation issues are tricky-I agree Southern Ill. was stupid to withdraw funding-nobody was making an issue out of it, it was no big deal, god knows what they were trying to accomplish, but I would not reconsider the school because of that, unless you are looking for a positive Christian atmosphere, in which case you should pick a relgiious affliated school, but if you just want a standard neutral school,its highly unlikely that they are anti-Christian.
2008 graduate of William and Mary Law School