Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Students failing HS standardized tests  (Read 3244 times)

Hank Rearden

• LSD Obsessed
  • Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
Re: Students failing HS standardized tests
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2007, 12:17:54 AM »
Although I passed all the standardized testing and was going to a good college, I hadn't finished geography by graduation day (I was taking it by correspondence and my test hadn't yet been graded) and so I didn't get to walk.

They gave me my diploma the next day though.   ::)

that's lame.

I agree.  But, graduation was held at Texas Stadium and they sold beer and concessions because it took forever to read all 1600 names, so I'm not sure I actually missed out on much.

Huh?  You missed out on beer and concessions. 
CLS '10

The appropriateness of Perpetua would probably depend on the tone of the writing.  When I used it, I (half playfully) thought the extra space made the words sort of resonate.

sillyberry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2007, 12:22:02 AM »
Although I passed all the standardized testing and was going to a good college, I hadn't finished geography by graduation day (I was taking it by correspondence and my test hadn't yet been graded) and so I didn't get to walk.

that's lame.

I agree.  But, graduation was held at Texas Stadium and they sold beer and concessions because it took forever to read all 1600 names, so I'm not sure I actually missed out on much.

I didn't.  My parents did.  The poor hot graduates on the field got nothing.
Juicy: UChicago

It sounds so reasonable when you say it.

Nimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2007, 01:34:35 AM »
If you're so stupid that you can't pass a test like that, you don't deserve a high school diploma.  Those things are ridiculously easy, and it saves a school like Texas Tech the embarrassment of admitting total r-tards.  Now they can just revoke acceptance.

Hank Rearden

• LSD Obsessed
  • Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2007, 03:33:20 AM »

that's lame.

I didn't.  My parents did.  The poor hot graduates on the field got nothing.

Wait...your school had hot graduates?
CLS '10

The appropriateness of Perpetua would probably depend on the tone of the writing.  When I used it, I (half playfully) thought the extra space made the words sort of resonate.

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2007, 12:26:15 PM »
Well, being part of a diploma ceremony when you're not qualified for the diploma does seem slightly weird.

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2007, 01:03:29 PM »
If you haven't completed / passed your courses, you haven't graduated. Being in a graduation ceremony without having graduated is weird by all means in my eyes.

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2007, 03:18:38 PM »
Well, no, nobody actually graduated here either, but the ceremony being in the context of graduation was kinda obvious. I expect it is over there too. If not, what are you celebrating?

dcollins

• Tina come get your ham
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2007, 04:26:15 PM »
If you haven't completed / passed your courses, you haven't graduated. Being in a graduation ceremony without having graduated is weird by all means in my eyes.

I agree.  Does anyone know if this has anything to do with NCLB?  AKA increasing graudation rates despite lack of adequate education?  Seems to me that if the states can't dumb the standardized tests up enough, they need to do something to keep their funding.

Although, I think when I graduated (back in the dark ages), they did have all the GED participants who would not finish the requirements until August walk across the stage as well.  I thought it was just to increase the time for graduation in general (as 1/3 of our "class" were GED folk)...
"A woman without a man is like a fish without a bicycle."
"I have yet to hear a man ask for advice on how to combine marriage and a career."
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off."
- Gloria Steinem

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2007, 04:33:49 PM »
Well, no, nobody actually graduated here either, but the ceremony being in the context of graduation was kinda obvious. I expect it is over there too. If not, what are you celebrating?

I thought it was just a show for the parents.   :P

Ok, fair point :)

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2007, 04:35:25 PM »
I think 3.5 GPA was bottom 10% of the class at my high school.  durn grade inflation.

You're missing the point.

yeah, I saw the pic at the bottom.  I assumed it was photoshopped. 

Me too.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.