Law School Discussion

Apply to US law schools from UK undergrad

iscoredawaitlist

• The beagle puppy of anticipation
    • View Profile
Re: Apply to US law schools from UK undergrad
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2007, 07:23:33 AM »
i'd say foreign grades in general aren't translated favorably from what people on here have said.

Captain

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2007, 07:52:52 AM »
I believe that for LSE, they translate most 2:1's (60-67) to a 3.3 (at least for study abroad people, for regular students having conversion done through LSAC first it may be a 3.5..

Well, by my understanding, by sending my transcript to LSAC pre-converted from a US partner school instead of directly from University of Edinburgh, I got screwed.

Great.

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2007, 11:05:27 AM »
I graduated with First class honors from the top Environmental Sciences program in the UK (and most say in Europe). I definitely feel my grades were not transferred fairly and that being from a UK school put me a huge disadvantage. I really think graduating with a first should be equivalent to more than a 3.7 and it is really harsh that a high 2:1 would be calculated as below this. I know plenty of 3.8 + students who have studied abroad in England and generally received a 2:1 in papers and exams.
I am really excited about going to GULC this fall and wouldn't change that for anything given personal circs, but if I was going to do the admissions process again looking for higher options I would definitely have retaken my LSAT (which was 3-4 points lower than my practice average) if I had known how my grades would end up being transferred.   

ě

• non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2007, 12:16:03 PM »
i'd say foreign grades in general aren't translated favorably from what people on here have said.

Could be true. What is more interesting to know would be how law school admissions treat foreign grades. During my application process I had several schools contacting me for direct transcripts as they paid little attention to JDCAS for foreigners. UMich and Seton Hall were two of them if I remember correctly.

iscoredawaitlist

• The beagle puppy of anticipation
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2007, 02:27:20 PM »

Could be true. What is more interesting to know would be how law school admissions treat foreign grades. During my application process I had several schools contacting me for direct transcripts as they paid little attention to JDCAS for foreigners. UMich and Seton Hall were two of them if I remember correctly.

well, i guess that brings up a question: do law schools have to report foreign GPAs as translated by JDCAS to ABA? If they aren't, I imagine that schools will be much more willing to completely disregard pointless translations that are inaccurate. I imagine it'd be harder for them to do the same thing if they do... although I think most schools will still want to get a "real" view of how you did.

ě

• non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2007, 02:59:57 PM »
Yeah, good question. I imagine they do have to report it, if not I dont think LSAC would bother with the conversion service, they'd just let schools use whatever agency they wanted.