Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: omg im screwed-  (Read 11931 times)

blackpowerman

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: omg im screwed- i need budget increase for CC and car payments
« Reply #90 on: May 30, 2007, 04:39:32 PM »
to be honest, i dont know...but i dont see why if i got accepted this year i wouldnt get accepted next year, considering i applied in march and this year ill be applying in october....

to be honest, if i get into a better school or a better offer, im on that
"The fox knows many tricks; the hedgehog one good one" - Archilochus

I am Penny Lane

• Sr. Citizen
  • Manager of the "Get Dotlyn to go to FSU" Campaign!
    • View Profile
    • LSN - What do you think of my choices?
« Reply #91 on: May 30, 2007, 05:23:40 PM »
If you call and explain your situation the odds are they will let you wait and apply any deposit you put down to the following year. They may also ask you to put your request in writing.

I deferred from my school to work a year as a legal assistant, go to Europe and save some money (and to apply earlier next round to try fo a better school shhh). They accepted it with no problem. They just said they would send me a letter in Feb asking me to reconfirm my commitment to them.
LSN

Quote from: dotlyn
PennyLane invented sweet. She has the patent on it. I tried to act sweet one time and she sued me.

blackpowerman

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 31, 2007, 01:24:08 AM »
yes, the admissions already told me they would put my deposit towards next year even tho there is about 100 percent chance im not going..and about 50% reason why im waiting a year. 

see, the irony is, i had to scrape 500 bucks like crazy to pay the deposit- then a week later i was like, oh im not going, @#!* i lost the 500 bucks- 

i do hope this year wait pays off. 

"The fox knows many tricks; the hedgehog one good one" - Archilochus

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 31, 2007, 09:24:29 AM »
If you defer with your school, aren't you obligated to attend that school and not apply to any others?

Sure, but you aren't prohibited from re-taking the LSAT, and if you score considerably better you can withdraw from the deferred school and then apply to others.

I am Penny Lane

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 31, 2007, 10:41:58 AM »
Sure, but you aren't prohibited from re-taking the LSAT, and if you score considerably better you can withdraw from the deferred school and then apply to others.

Why would one be prohibited from retaking the LSAT? Where I deferred there was no contract, no obligation. I did get an email from the admissions office which said:

Dear Miss Penny Lane :

This email is to confirm your request for a year's deferral of your admission to LaLaLa School of Law until 2008.   

We have also received your tuition deposit to hold your seat in the class.  The deposit  will be credited towards next fall's tuition, and should you choose not to attend, is non-refundable.  In February of next year, we will ask you to reconfirm your intention to enroll in the fall.  Please keep us abreast of any address changes that may occur during the year.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to email or call us.  We look forward to meeting you next August.  Have a good year!

Sincerely,
Law Admissions Person
LSN

PennyLane invented sweet. She has the patent on it. I tried to act sweet one time and she sued me.

I am Penny Lane

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 31, 2007, 10:43:09 AM »
My school seems to have a very laid back policy, others may differ.
LSN

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 31, 2007, 11:16:53 AM »

Why would one be prohibited from retaking the LSAT?

One wouldn't, that's exactly what I'm saying.

As you have per definition accepted an offer to a school, at least in my case, you would not be permitted to apply to other schools.

I am Penny Lane

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 31, 2007, 01:46:23 PM »
One wouldn't, that's exactly what I'm saying.

Opps Sorry misread that.

As you have per definition accepted an offer to a school, at least in my case, you would not be permitted to apply to other schools.

As I understand the admission is binding on the part of the school, not the student (excet at a few places). Many people put down multiple deposits, which is all I have done at this point. I haven't signed any contract saying I will attend, nor have they asked me to sign one. And to me the line, "The deposit  will be credited towards next fall's tuition, and should you choose not to attend, is non-refundable" leaves it petty open-ended. I am not worried. I plan to apply to schools this October (instead of waiting until Feb/March) ask use my deferral as a back-up plan.
LSN

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 31, 2007, 01:48:29 PM »
You make a valid point. I obviously made no attempt to find out as I have no intentions of applying anywhere else. I'm just relaying stuff I've read elsewhere, which I should know by now is not always a great idea. But I like to write.  :-\

I am Penny Lane

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 31, 2007, 01:51:29 PM »
Haha no problem. Schools vary so much on this things it is hard to know which end is up sometimes.
LSN