Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Columbia's Recommendation Form  (Read 1010 times)

BroadwayMusicals

• View Profile
Columbia's Recommendation Form
« on: May 24, 2007, 04:20:24 PM »
One of my recommenders is leaving the country for a year.  Columbia has a specific LOR form, but the new application won't be out until my recommender is gone.  Can I use the 2006-2007 forms without fear of them changing anything for the '08 admissions season?  This seems like something that would remain constant.

As far as the checkboxes are concerned, what would be the cutoff for helping someone's application?  If having my recommenders fill out the grid will hurt me, I'd rather just do everything through LSDAS.  For instance, do most people get "top in career" so anything less is detrimental?

aestuo

• View Profile
Re: Columbia's Recommendation Form
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2007, 06:01:17 AM »
Here's an unrelated question: I noticed that Columbia asks for a letter of recommendation from your current supervisor if you're out of college and working full time.  Does any other law school have this policy? It seems really asinine, for the obvious reasons and also because it requires you to inform your boss that you will be leaving for law school in a year. Is there any law school admissions policy more intrusive and presumptuous than this?

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2007, 08:47:35 AM »
I didn't use their form and I didn't have a recommendation from my boss.  I got accepted with money.  Obviously it's not required, though it probably doesn't hurt.  They understand that many people don't want their boss to know that they are going to law school.  If you can, maybe get a recommendation from a former boss or a co-worker that you trust.  Another option is to write a brief addendum saying that you can't get a recommendation because your boss doesn't know you're leaving. 
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

aestuo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2007, 06:47:26 AM »
I didn't use their form and I didn't have a recommendation from my boss.  I got accepted with money.  Obviously it's not required, though it probably doesn't hurt.  They understand that many people don't want their boss to know that they are going to law school.  If you can, maybe get a recommendation from a former boss or a co-worker that you trust.  Another option is to write a brief addendum saying that you can't get a recommendation because your boss doesn't know you're leaving. 

Thanks, I figured it was something they'd overlook - I was just curious. I just graduated from college so, no, I won't be asking any employer for a letter of recommendation, and thank god for that.

bubDread

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2007, 03:46:42 PM »
I believe I am using the form from last year.  Same for Stanford.

Amy Winehouse

• Sr. Citizen
  • Rehab is for quitters.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2007, 03:48:46 PM »
I didn't use Columbia's form, either.  Just use the LSDAS form--most, if not all, schools accept those in lieu of their own forms.
Columbia Law School 2010

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2007, 01:07:51 PM »
I didn't use Columbia's form, either.  Just use the LSDAS form--most, if not all, schools accept those in lieu of their own forms.

same
Columbia 3L

Ilovecheese

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2007, 06:25:22 PM »
all schools have specific LOR forms, but a general LSDAS form is accepted by those same schools just as well.

bubDread

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2007, 08:54:28 PM »
some schools prefer their LOR form.

Well, i can think of two.