Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Okay so I just did my FAFSA..whats it mean?  (Read 2215 times)

Texas2L

• Sr. Citizen
  • Texas
    • View Profile
Okay so I just did my FAFSA..whats it mean?
« on: May 24, 2007, 11:43:17 AM »
I'm a nontrad, significant income up to here, it says my EFC is like 37000.  Does that mean I won't get any subsidized loans?  Thats more than the tuition costs.

I was hoping to just borrow whatever I could thats subsidized and then lump pay it back right when I graduate, since I wouldn't be paying interest.

ljg

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Okay so I just did my FAFSA..whats it mean?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2007, 11:46:45 AM »
My EFC was approximately 33K. NYU gave me the max in stafford loans, both subsidized and unsubsidized. If your school doesn't automatically give you the max, you can call and ask if they have a form to fill out indicating that you will not have an income once you start law school. This is usually enough to get the subsidized stafford loans.

ptown

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2007, 02:47:33 PM »
I am under the impression that everyone (graduates) get the full subsidized and unsubsidized amounts.  I did.
Missouri 1L

"I was discriminated against during the college-testing process because I come from a culture that is opposed to filling in circles completely and with firm pressure."

ljg

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2007, 04:48:39 PM »
I am under the impression that everyone (graduates) get the full subsidized and unsubsidized amounts.  I did.

Not always. BU didn't give me the unsubsidized amount right off the bat because I make too much money. I had to fill out a form stating that I would have no income in law school before they would give it to me.

jer

• LSD Obsessed
  • i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2007, 09:36:11 AM »
does anyone really know how the FAFSA affects your student loans that you qualify for?

my EFC is 42539

does that mean they expect my estimated family contribution to be $42,539 towards my living expenses for the year?  how am i supposed to come up with that cash when i'm quitting my job to attend law school?

ljg

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2007, 10:39:30 AM »
does anyone really know how the FAFSA affects your student loans that you qualify for?

my EFC is 42539

does that mean they expect my estimated family contribution to be $42,539 towards my living expenses for the year?  how am i supposed to come up with that cash when i'm quitting my job to attend law school?

Loans- stafford, gradplus and private. You aren't expected to pay the EFC out of pocket, but you do have to come up with it through loans.

flyaway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2007, 08:27:57 PM »
I'm a married nontrad with a little higher EFC than you have.  I didn't get the full subsidized amount (but close to it... like 85% of it, if I remember correctly), and the rest is made up for with unsubsidized Stafford.
Michigan Law Class of 2010

jer

• LSD Obsessed
  • i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2007, 02:32:06 PM »
I'm a married nontrad with a little higher EFC than you have. I didn't get the full subsidized amount (but close to it... like 85% of it, if I remember correctly), and the rest is made up for with unsubsidized Stafford.

i'm a single nontrad.  will they cut me some slack for being single?
i'm still waiting for the financial award paperwork from smu

Texas2L

• Sr. Citizen
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2007, 08:00:57 PM »
Talked to the finaid guy at SMU today and he said their total cost was something like 52k this year (includes cost of living) so if that minus your EFC is greater than 8500, you'll get the full subsidized loan amount.. the rest is unsubsidized.  So I'll pretty much just take the subsidized loans.  Whee.