Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: ITT help me identify target schools  (Read 917 times)

lawandethan

• View Profile
ITT help me identify target schools
« on: May 24, 2007, 09:52:56 AM »
LSAC gpa: 4.08
LSAT: 166
Large Public

I'm from Houston and I would love to do legal work for BIG OIL.  What schools do you think I should target for the upcoming cycle?

by the way; I've been studying and am taking the June LSAT and will *hopefully* boost that black mark on my record.

Sam P. Huntington

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: ITT help me identify target schools
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2007, 09:55:33 AM »
First of all, a 166 is great. If you DO get the LSAT score up a bit closer to 170 or if you break the 170-ceiling, you'll be competitive at tons of schools. What are your soft factors like? It wouldn't hurt to bolster those a bit this summer.
Boston College Law School Class of 2010

prelaw200

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2007, 10:18:14 AM »
LSAC gpa: 4.08
LSAT: 166
Large Public

I'm from Houston and I would love to do legal work for BIG OIL.  What schools do you think I should target for the upcoming cycle?

by the way; I've been studying and am taking the June LSAT and will *hopefully* boost that black mark on my record.

Your targets are Cornell, Duke and Michigan with an ok shot at Boalt.  If you go up a couple of points to a 168 I'd say your targets would be Penn and NYU.  169 and up will put you in Columbia and Chicago's target range.
Me Go Cornell

Johnny Stuffs His Mouth

• LSD Obsessed
  • 1/2 of the Golden Couple
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=johnkorean
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2007, 10:24:07 AM »
I'd recommend applying to most of the t14 plus UT. You might want to throw in a few safeties, but I'd think you're a shoo-in at UT. I'd think you'd have a better than OK shot at Boalt since they love GPA.
I'll join the cool crowd: 3.23/173
Blinded by the light (Attending): UVA!!! Wahoo 2010!!!
Wrapped up like a feminine hygiene product (Accepted): UVA!! Fordham, Georgetown!!! NYU!!!!!!!!!
Another odor in the night (Rejected): Harvard
Let's go LSAT score! http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=johnkorean

Zam

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2007, 10:25:27 AM »
Targets: most everything ranked 8-14 in the T14, with Michigan being a reach and a few of them being reachy targets, if that makes sense.

However, you are very likely to get into University of Texas. You said you want to work for a Big Oil company, I'm assuming as General Council? Or do you mean a Big Law firm that specializes in defending Oil companies? At any rate, I would THINK U. Texas would actually have a huge advantage in this area, though I could be wrong. You should look into the hiring practices of "Big Oil" as you're calling it. I have a feeling not many Boalt grads go into that line of work, but I could be stereotyping too much.

tralafalala

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2007, 10:55:45 AM »
with that TTT score, you might as well apply to UT.  what else have you got to lose?  your life is over anyway.  have fun pumping my gas!

Zam

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2007, 02:56:17 PM »
TEXAS

hth.

yrly, I can't imagine another school being more perfect.

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2007, 03:10:50 PM »
Columbia 3L

countbizaller

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2007, 03:51:53 PM »
Texas would make a lot of sense seeing as how you're from Houston and would like to work in Big Oil.  The majority of attorneys doing that in Houston are from UT and UofH.  Plus you can't beat the in-state tuition of UT.

But the other posts of #8-14 schools sounds about right for your numbers.   
UT Law '11

Sooner

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2007, 05:59:19 PM »
UT does BS around these days...I see on LSN that this cycle they WL and deferred a bunch of people with around this guy's numbers...so I wouldn't chalk up the auto-admit with $$$ at UT thing just yet.

Do well on the June LSAT...you could use at least 2 or 3 more LSAT points (silly, I know) to really get in the sweet spot.
The University of Chicago
The Law School