Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Residency  (Read 1240 times)

AJ

• View Profile
Residency
« on: May 23, 2007, 11:43:58 AM »
Does anyone know which public schools in either the west or the south allow students to obtain resident status?

I know that Ole Miss allows students to do this---are there any others?

Many of the western schools seem very affordable, even more so when factoring in a resident's tuition rate.

qmmm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Residency
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 11:46:23 AM »
I know that you can obtain resident status in CA and WA while in school.

Last King of Edinburgh

• Sr. Citizen
  • Born to rule
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007, 04:23:37 PM »
I know OSU made it awfully clear to me that I could obtain residency if I wanted to. Not sure if that treatment was preferential or not....
Washington University School of Law 2010

just call me elle

• Sr. Citizen
  • pink, puppies, Crimson, and I belong together
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007, 07:02:50 PM »
i think i remember UVA saying something about it being possible to be a resident after a year, but i'm not positive.

skier4life

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2007, 02:33:22 PM »
i know you can at CU Boulder

Sweetpri

• Sr. Citizen
  • I hope I like Ohio!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2007, 07:00:02 AM »
I know U Toledo is 1 year, Northern Illinois is 6 months, I'm pretty sure IU Indy is 1 year.

I have a question...when someone says that a school will "make it difficult" for you to obtain residency, what does that mean?  I've heard people say this a few times...If I got in to Toledo, rented an apartment in Toledo with a lease beginning August 1st 2007, got an Ohio license when I moved, etc - all the normal things you do when you move - what could they do to deny me residency when classes start on August 20th 2008?
University of Toledo 0L

qmmm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2007, 10:30:38 AM »
It's not the school that makes it difficult to obtain residency.  Rather, it is the state laws that govern residency, and some states make it virtually impossible to establish residency if your primary reason for moving to the state is for education.

platopotato

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2007, 03:37:26 AM »
The school has a say in whether or not a student is granted residency in Ohio. Yes, all schools are subject to the same residency requirements, but if you read Ohio's there is a certain section of criterion which allow for interpretation.

Toledo is one of the harder schools to obtain residency in Ohio. I have heard that in addition to getting a license in ohio, registering your car, living their a year, etc, that you must also make a certain amount of money. It is a case by case basis, and it is more difficult at Toledo than other Ohio schools. At least thats what ive heard.

Sweetpri

• Sr. Citizen
  • I hope I like Ohio!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2007, 07:53:57 PM »
Well that really sucks about Toledo!  I'm not planning on working during school and I wouldn't expect summer pay to be very significant...  I guess that's something to look into if I get in there - thanks!
University of Toledo 0L

goosenesque

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2007, 08:56:59 PM »
Anyone know how tough it is to gain residency at UNC Law?  I know you have to go through some kind of evaluation, but I'm not sure exactly what is required to gain residency.